Singapore kiting... well... sort of.

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Singapore kiting... well... sort of.

Postby kitekid21 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 am

I spent two months this summer visiting my family in Singapore. Now, while the winds are pretty poor on the island of Singapore itself, there are two spots which are fantastic nearby. One is Batam, Indonesia. Batam is a bit of "Las Vegas" type of town, where you have to keep an out for your gear and though there are other kiters, I can't say I'm comfortable with most of the situation there.

The other Island is Bintan. This is where the magic happens. 7-8 months of the year (May-Sept + Dec-Jan), the wind blows at a pretty consistent 13-14 knots (lightwind gear) punctuated by 16-17 knot 2 hour blasts. The Agro Bintan Beach Resort which is on Trikora Beach is ideal for kiting, and they actually offer a discount for kiters. You have to take a ferry to get to the island, but the rates are great and the food is cheap if you don't eat at the resort (but the restaurant is right next to the water, so you'll probably end up eating there anyway).

The water at Trikora beach is perfect tropical water. 3-4 feet deep for about half a mile offshore and then it drops off and there's open ocean... punctuated by many islands. Island hopping across the channels which have no boat traffic is a blast. The kite crew on Trikora beach is great and are quite experienced. There are a lot of new kiters however, but there's plenty of space. If you're in Singapore for business or leisure, Bintan is the place to go to kite. There's really little else to do on this part of the island, but kite, so don't bring the family along... unless they all have been bitten by the wind bug.

I'd love to answer any questions that you may have.

Last edited by kitekid21 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: Singapore kiting... well... sort of.

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Great review, the only thing missing is some indication WHICH 7 or 8 months are good (if there's any regularity to it)
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Re: Singapore kiting... well... sort of.

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 am

xwindsurf wrote:Great review, the only thing missing is some indication WHICH 7 or 8 months are good (if there's any regularity to it)

Added in the windy months. :D
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations