Kitesurfing in Fiji?

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kitesurfing in Fiji?

Postby tracy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:05 pm

Okay, I'm definitely booked to hit Fiji ... I leave this Thursday, Aug 31st to Sep 9th... I've made some inquiries to Extreme Sports Cafe http://www.extremesportscafe.com/kitesurfing_fiji.html)

Has anyone been out there yet?

Does anyone know about this one?

Do any of you guys have any connections out there? C'mon you're all important people with connections... like...everywhere, surely you've got a recommendation for Fiji. 8)

Anyone want to join? American Airlines is offering a special to fly there for only 50,000 miles instead of 75,000.
tracy
Board Monkey

Postby V » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Wow Tracy! Have fun over there! Fiji sounds AWESOME!!!!

I can't go since I have a show, but damn, I'm jealous...
V
Unstrapped!

woo - fiji here i come

Postby tracy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks, V.

I leave on Thursday and am all signed up for Kite lessons for the week. I'll be in crystal clear waters going downwind around the islands (and hopefully upwind), too.

If I have any good pictures/videos I'll post 'em up.

Catch ya in a couple weeks!
tracy
Board Monkey

Fiji

Postby Odyssey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:44 am

Hey there,

We spent about 4 months in Fiji back in 2004 (we were on a sailboat). Did a ton of kiting and a movie with F.One in the Yasawas- mostly around Nomutu and Tavarua, which are both private so a bit harder to get to unless you have connections or are very rich!. Some other great places to explore though: (this is direct from an article I wrote for Wind and Kite awhile back)

NANANU-I-RA.
On the north side of Viti Levu (the main island of Fiji) lies a quaint little European village with a kickback lifestyle, beautiful sunsets and the most reliable winds in Fiji. Get a group together, rent one of the cottages for 80 bucks a day and let the trades blow you around a spectacular lagoon. While most riders come to Fiji for the waves, this is a little-known flatwater spot that is sure to please and easy to reach from the mainland.
SEKAWA BEACH, S. VANUA LEVU.
The main northern island of Fiji is well off the beaten path and more known for diving than anything else, but we found a beach on the south side of the island that beginners will love. No coral, lots of black sand, favorable cross-on winds and plenty to do when the winds aren’t blowing, a rarity in winter, which is the best time to go.
YADUA ISLAND, NW FIJI
Can’t get here without a boat, but if you can you’ll get the best of waves, wind, flatwater and traditional village life and no one puts up a fuss, unlike the more legendary Tavarua and Namotu isles in the Mamanuca group where the breaks are private. Check out your charts and head across Bligh Water, through the Vatu-I-ra channel, a funnel for the trade winds, which impacts Yadua dead on. While most of Fiji is well traveled, Yadua gets you way out of bounds.
PLANTATION ISLAND RESORT, MALOLO ISLAND
Only a 10-minute flight or an hour ferry ride from the airport in Nadi, Malolo island ranks as the easiest kitesurfing destination to reach in Fiji. Tucked just downwind of the famous breaks at Namotu and Tavarua, the trade winds wrap around the point just outside your bungalow and provide good flat-water riding. On calm days you can pay “Big Johnâ€
Join The BEST Odyssey, A World Kiteboarding Expedition
Odyssey
Kiter Noob

staying another week... woooo

Postby tracy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:30 pm

Thanks a ton for the tips in Fiji -- I'm on Nananu-I-Ra at Safari Lodge taking lessons - it's a total kite friendly place and the instruction is top notch.

Once I get good enough, I think we're gonna do some cool downwinders around some of the islands. 3 of the kiters did it today and it looked like a blast.

I'm up on the board... still learning to relaunch in the water, I'm about 50% right now.

I was originally scheduled to come home on Sunday the 10th, but I've just extended it a week so I can get better before coming back to Chicago.
tracy
Board Monkey

Postby Odyssey » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:12 am

No problem- sounds like you are finding the great spots. Have fun!!!
Join The BEST Odyssey, A World Kiteboarding Expedition
Odyssey
Kiter Noob

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations