Baja at the beginning of the year

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Baja at the beginning of the year

Postby ICrider » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:58 am

hey all,

I'm heading down to baja with friends for the better part of the winter. Leaving sometime very soon after the new year. Driving down from AZ.

If anyone is thinking about going or will be there let me know. Thinking of La Paz, La Ventana, Los Barilles, and south of there too
ICrider
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Herbie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:38 pm

I'll just miss you. I will be in LaVentana departing Jan 2.
The family will be there with me.
Who knows maybe I'll put the family on the plane and extend my trip :-)
If that happens I'll stay in Los Barilles, and be kiting on North Beach
Herbie
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby ICrider » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:35 pm

be sure to post an update and lay out any good information you have! thanks :) have fun down there
ICrider
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Herbie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:23 pm

Hey, I went down to Baja on a short-notice 6-day trip. Stayed in Los Barriles.

First 2 days it did not look good for wind until the later afternoon, so both days I drove 50 minutes south to San Jose Del Cabo and surfed at "Old Mans". Surfing was Ok, Chest to Head high, which was VERY nice, but huge waits between sets. Got some nice rides! By 3pm I was back at the North Beach Arroyo ready to kite, unfortunately winds were very light. The biggest kite I had was a 14m Cabrinha Switchblade 2, so rode that in light winds "pumping" the kite a lot. This is a new kite for me, seems nice, but wind was too light to get a good feel.

The next 4 days were nice and windy. Spent those days riding a 12 and 9 meter Shockwave and an Underground FLX32 (great board!). The water surface is pretty choppy, and there was a decent size "rolling swell" chest to head high. Although this rolling swell does not break, you can "surf" it; front side turns, back side slashes, a nice ramp for jumping, its lots of fun to play in.

Did some short downwinders from the North Beach Arroyo to the hotel where VEAL windsurfing operates. I will give them a little plug as they run a nice operation: www.velawindsurf.com/baja/index.html.

Water is still warm in the Sea of Cortes. Daily air temps were 70's maybe hitting 80. I wore a shorty but most people where wearing neoprene rash guards and boardshorts. Starting in January lots of people wearing some type of wetsuit until March.

I was solo on this trip. The kiters and windsurfers at the North Beach arroyo are a friendly crew. Lot's of fun to kite with, help when you need it, lots of people around to launch and land kites. Knew a couple of guys from previous trips, ran into a couple guys from other windsurfing trips, and met some new people. I would guess a max or about 15 kites on the water at any one time. A lot less when I was maxed-out on my 9 meter!!! There should be a lot more people arriving daily starting now. All in all it’s a very relaxed, mellow place.

For those not in the know, the North Beach Arroyo is where all the kite/windsurf vagabonds camp. It’s a dry "riverbed" coming from the mountains, that only sees water after a huge rainfall - hurricane season. The North Beach Arroyo is about 600 yards wide. You just drive in and set up camp for free! Of course there are NO services provided. Salt water baths for the duration of your trip. Lot's of people show up in November and stay til March. Pretty cool if you can do it.

Headed back to Baja in 11 days for the holidays with my family and a friends family. This time to LaVentana. Should be some more great kiting "balanced" with some good "family time" as well.

Happy Vacationing...
Herbie
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby ICrider » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:54 pm

wow!

thanks for such a great update. i'll have to check out north beach arroyo. I'm looking foward to the drive down there.
have fun on your next trip.
ICrider
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Herbie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 pm

North Beach Arroyo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72271103@N00/326822607/

Surfing 50 minutes south
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72271103@N00/326822608/

Forgot to mention that Vela has a Kite instructor at North Beach named Dante, you can book him through Vela. there is also another instuctor at North Beach - I forgot his name, and did not meet him.
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations