Key West for the New Year

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Key West for the New Year

Postby Stang » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:26 pm

I am considering the possibility of a few days in Key West around the New Year. Does anyone have any ideas on a good place to stay and kite?

I saw a few vids on-line about the Kitehouse. The flats look like they offer some amazing butter flat kiting. Anyone have experience riding there?
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Postby splash » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:44 am

I rode the flats a few weeks ago. Nick at the Kite House gave me a lift out. It was surreal! Glassy water and steady winds for miles. Magic. It is wakeboarding without a boat. Sizzlin S turns and quiet. The water is only a couple of inches deep and the grassy bottom tickles the board so it never chops or even ripples. Just go!
splash
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Bledsoe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Sounds awesome. What did Nick and the Kitehouse charge for the ride out to the flats and back?
Bledsoe
Pump Master

Postby anderson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:04 pm

splash wrote:I rode the flats a few weeks ago. Nick at the Kite House gave me a lift out. It was surreal! Glassy water and steady winds for miles. Magic. It is wakeboarding without a boat. Sizzlin S turns and quiet. The water is only a couple of inches deep and the grassy bottom tickles the board so it never chops or even ripples. Just go!

Do you know the wind consistency there in Dec/January?
I watched the video and this place is totally surreal as you said.
cheers
anderson
Resident Windfreak

iWindsurf

Postby BigWaveDave » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:03 pm

BigWaveDave
Chop Wrestler

Postby Stang » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:20 pm

It was surreal! Glassy water and steady winds for miles

That's all the convincing I need...Are you getting payed commission for this? :lol:

Looks like I will be riding the flats around the New Year. I am not sure of my exact dates yet, but it looks like I will be down there and riding from around the 28th of December through the 2nd (ish). Let me know if anyone is interested in joining for some rides, we could probably negotiate a better rate to and from the flats with some additional guaranteed riders.
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

I want to go there too!

Postby BigWaveDave » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:26 pm

If you can work some kind of deal please post here as I want to go there also. That time of year it is expensive to stay in the keys not sure if I can afford that. Key West doesn't have the best land launches and it would probably be better to stay on another island.

I was looking at going 1st week of December as it is cheaper. After the Dec22 prices go up. However I could go between Christmas and New Year also.

Let me know!

Thanks

Dave
Last edited by BigWaveDave on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigWaveDave
Chop Wrestler

Ride to the flats

Postby BigWaveDave » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:35 pm

From the kitehouse web site. Looks like no discount unless you want lessons, if so second person is $50

Advanced Water Taxi** $75.00 Basically a ride to the flats. We set up your gear and break it down, you ride the flats for three hours with supervision but without instruction.

GETTIN' SCHOOLED [Beginner] Private w/ Friend 1-Day Lesson $400.00 Bring a friend for $50 extra, 3 hours
BigWaveDave
Chop Wrestler

Postby splash » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm

I gave Nick $80 for a ride. He had compressed air for the kite and hooked up my lines. There's a trick to setting up a kite from a floating boat on a sand bar in a current. Have a blast. He's not paying me, I just couldn't believe this place.
splash
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Misfit » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:30 am

i just found out that i'm gonna have an open schedule from jan 3rd till jan 11th. I'm looking for a cheap place to vacation with my girlfriend thats kiteboarding friendly. Does it blow in the keys in january? Easy access? cheap hotels?

Later

Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby nicole » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 pm

cory, why dont you go to puerto rico? colin and enily will be there, and maybe a few others.
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby Misfit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:13 am

I was thinking about it. I just found out about my time off so i'm just starting to look around. I'd love to Spend some time with colin and enily.

Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby thekitehouse » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 am

Hey all, well if its cold i hope there is snow there so you can snow kite.
Been windy and warm here in key west, yeah i know....i suck

Anyway, saw the post and i do have a room above our resturant on duval street[main drag] for 65 a night and you walk everywhere, no driving, maybe use a bike.

some video of the wek before on a new spot we ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx784VFjqY0

If anybody needs any data, all on the www.thekitehouse.com site plus forecast.

If a few of you guys every come together, will hook you up a deal, if you come alone will still make one.

Oh yeah, no wind no pay........but then we go do ohter stuff if your game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWxAmOc59wc
Aloha

Paul Menta
thekitehouse
Kiter Noob

Postby jensmadwind » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:55 am

I would say don't worry about the wind, it will be there. I have been going down to key west annually for the last couple years and last year i was there in late october and early January. I rode 75% of the time I was there, in fact in January the only day i didn't ride was because i was getting married. Nick and Paul will take care of you and it will be a trip you will never forget both because of the kiting and the whole key west experience. I wish i was there right now instead of looking out my window at 2 feet of snow and no wind.

jens
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Stang » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks for the info Paul...The vids are great, and even the 'boring' day tops the cold snowy day we are having here.

My plan was to be down there for the new year, but I waited to long to get airline tickets that straddle the new year (the carriers wanted way to much $$). So instead, I am heading to my parents place in Ft. Myers. I will get in some good riding there, but plan on being down to Key West to ride at some of those epic spots sometime in late January or early Feb...Anyone interested in joining for a long weekend around that time??
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Bledsoe » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Would love to join you after the New Year in the keys. Post the weekends you are thinking about, and I will try to make my schedule work. Beginning of Feb sounds good.
Bledsoe
Pump Master

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations