A Real BVI Trip (not The REAL BVI Trip)

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

A Real BVI Trip (not The REAL BVI Trip)

Postby Rorke » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Arrghh Mateys,

If you don’t want to read a big ass brag, skip this post. :D

I just got back from 2 weeks in the BVI’s. The first week, I captained a Lagoon 440 catamaran for a 7 person family. It was a LOT of work, so I only kited one day. The second week, my wife, my sister in law, Stang, and I hopped aboard a Jeanneau 43 DS for a week.

Day 1.
We left out of Nanny Cay on Tortola for an hour long sail to the Indians for some incredible snorkeling. Then we moored up near the Bight on Norman Island. This island was the inspiration for Treasure Island. Annie, my wife, came over on a service ferry later that evening and joined the crew for pumpkin soup, conch fritters, and 25 beers.

Day 2.
This was the longest day of all time. We left port at 0600 heading to Virgin Gorda, and made it to the Baths by 0800. The Baths is the most visited site in the BVI’s. There are these 30’ boulders piled on top of each other all over the beach. You can climb through them on land and swim through them in the water.

It is impossible to describe how cool and unique they are. We spent about an hour there before we saw any other tourists. The last time I was there, there were 500 people crowded in from the cruise ships, so this was pretty special.

After the Baths, we set out for the Bitter End in North Sound Virgin Gorda. We moored and went directly to the kite shop/ kiter Scott’s apartment. There is no sign, but when you walk by, you can see he has made curtains out of an old Slingy kite. Since Scott was out cold, Stang and I walked our gear to Eustacia Sound. What a beautiful kite spot! There is a big old reef flattening out a huge kite bay, but it is super shallow and fully reefed.

The wind was kind of light, but I gave it a shot. Basically, I did a down winder unintentionally to the north side of Prickley Pear Island, where I landed and derigged. 5 minutes later, Stang cruised over in the Zodiac and picked me up. We buzzed back to the launch, and Stang had a field day freeriding my 16m Havoc/Zero Gravity 137. That was the biggest set up we had, so I had to watch.

Day 3.
0845 we set sail for Anegada. This island is only about 14 miles away, but people talk about it like it’s another country. Anegada is not volcanic and mountainous like the other islands, it is a limestone and coral reef island. In fact, it is home to the 3rd largest reef in the world, which makes entering the harbor considered dicey. It seemed straightforward to us though.

We got a mooring ball in no more than 8’ of water. This was cutting it close, as our boat had an 6’8â€
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby chakkuchan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:31 am

I'm jealous :-D I've always wanted to visit the BVI's.

as for posting photo's i usually recommend www.imageshack.us or www.tinypic.com and just post them as a thumbnail view in the forums.
chakkuchan
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby kwk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:54 am

Rorke, sounds like a great trip. I bareboated the BVIs a few times before I got into kiting and they were fantastic vacations.

We are thinking about doing a bareboat kiting trip either to BVI or the Grenadines this fall. We have done it before where we get a boat the last week of hurricane season before the price increases. This makes it very affordable. Usually it works out to about $500 a person for a very nice 4 stateroom catamaran. We always make sure we get one with a decent dingy that has a big enough motor to get it on a plane. This is key for kiting support.

It would be fun to get a group together and get a couple boats.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby Rorke » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:25 pm

Now your talkin' Keith!

10-12 guys with two cats! That would be through the roof.

Day 1 - Tortola to The Bight.
Day 2 - Virgin Gorda
Day 3 - Virgin Gorda or Anegada
Day 4 - Anegada
Day 5 - Anegada or Virgin Gorda
Day 6 - Jost Van Dyke
Day 7 - Tortola

Who's in?!?!?
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby chakkuchan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:40 pm

I'm in,possibly with a second person, but I gotta go get a passport soon :shock:
chakkuchan
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:00 am

Count me in on that trip
Chris
Resident Windfreak

Postby Stang » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:56 am

Awesome trip!! I am ready to go again...count me in for any future trip involving kiting and sailing!

Here are a couple pics to show a little bit of the fun (their not professional, but they at least give a little taste):

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\All%20Users\Documents\My%20Pictures\Sample%20Pictures\post\kite1.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\All%20Users\Documents\My%20Pictures\Sample%20Pictures\post\kite2.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\All%20Users\Documents\My%20Pictures\Sample%20Pictures\post\kite3.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\All%20Users\Documents\My%20Pictures\Sample%20Pictures\post\eustacia.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\All%20Users\Documents\My%20Pictures\Sample%20Pictures\post\anchor.jpg[/img]

[/img]
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Postby chakkuchan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:57 am

Those pictures are unviewable Stang.
try uploading them at www.imageshack.us or www.tinypic.com
chakkuchan
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Stang » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:58 am

hmmm...looks like I need some lessons on posting pics :oops: Thanks for the suggestion chakkuchan, I will post a few when I get some time later :)
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Postby chakkuchan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:47 am

do you have to have a passport to get into the BVI?
chakkuchan
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Stang » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 am

Yes sir. The BVI are a British territory. A passport is required for travel there. However, one bonus of the BVI is that the $$ is the currency of choice, so there is no need to go through the hassle of exchanging your dough.
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations