Harbor Springs / Good Hart, MI Kiting

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Harbor Springs / Good Hart, MI Kiting

Postby Rainmann » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I am heading up to Good Hart, MI (about 20 minutes north of Harbor Springs, MI) for the next week and was wondering if anyone has kited that area before. May check out Sturgeon Bay also. If you have any recommendations on favorite kite beaches or know anyone that rides around that area please post or send me a PM.
Bringing the mountain bikes, SUPS, and kayaks also so any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Rainmann
Pump Master

Postby Rainmann » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Northern Michigan once again offered pristine Lake Michigan conditions for kiting, kayaking, and the SUP: crystal clear water for miles. Also, great trails for mountain biking and hiking. Michigan beaches rock! I have kited in a lot of beaches throughout the states and Caribbean but still prefer Northern Michigan to all others.
Here are directions for a couple of the beaches if you are ever in the area:

Sturgeon Bay Point:
N45° 41.418’ W084°57.948’ (M119 or N Lake Shore)
Great on SW or NW; N or S may have wind shadow from forest. Kiting in crystal clear water I could see boulders the size of small houses in deep water. Pick your launch and landing sites carefully. There are ankle breaking rocks along the break and shore. Booties may be a good idea if you get blown down wind.

Petoskey State Park:
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrai ... &type=SPRK
Very nice sandy beach but gets very crowded on weekends; go early or late.

Biking and Hiking:
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/hrb/Home.html

Moderator: May want to move this post to the kitesurfing vacations section.
Thanks,
Ray
Rainmann
Pump Master

Postby 4w7s » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Yes, Northern Lake MI this time of year is spectacular. The countryside, the shoreline, and the water is pristine.

Unfortunately, as you say, the launching options are few and far between, and it's sometimes hard to find the right wind directions for those few spots. I've kited up by the Mackinaw Bridge and Harbor Springs. I believe Cross Village used to be a popular windsurfing spot. At Harbor Springs you need to have access to the point, which is private property. We've done downwinders from there to spots along the North shore of Little Traverse Bay and to the state park.

But LZ's in between are hard to find, and often private land, docks, etc. On a strong West wind the swell can get really nice in the bay. Last year we played amongst the yachts that were racing in the annual Ugotta Regatta, boosting some nice airs across their sterns and over some of the entourage in tenders who were out spectating - lots of hooting and hollering!

I'm heading up there on our sailboat next weekend, from the 6th - 16th, to watch (and learn from) the International Moth North Americans, and hopefully get some tips on how to sail mine.

http://www.sailgroove.org/coverage/2354 ... rd-markand

This is also my annual trip to do some sailing/kiting/exploring up North. Last year I did Franfort, the Manitous, Leland, Grand Traverse Bay. This time I may set sail from Harbor Springs to Beaver Island, and then on to Seule Choix Point on the South shore of the UP, depending on weather routing.

Seule Choix is a legendary wave spot, and a long way from nowhere. On a strong South wind the waves can be beautiful double overhead and peeling over the reef. Not too many options for protected anchoring, but I want to have a look anyway.

Otherwise I may hit Cathead Bay at the end of Lelanau Peninsula and Frankfort (by car), and end up in Suttons Bay or TC. If anyone is up that way and wants to go for a boat ride let me know.

As usual - the answer is blowin in the wind!
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations