Nags Head, North Carolina

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Nags Head, North Carolina

Postby Carl » Fri May 02, 2003 1:58 pm

Heading out to Nags Head, NC next week (May 7).
Waist deep water for miles.

If anyone has any suggestions on places to ride or lodging feel free to comment.
Carl
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Carl
Board Monkey

Postby PhillB » Tue May 06, 2003 12:34 pm

Greetings!

I was in the Outer Banks a few weeks ago. I stayed in Buxton, which is about an hour past Nags Head, in a place that was right on the ocean, reasonably priced, and in the center of kiteboarding paradise. The place was called the Lighthouse Motel. If you search online, there are pictures and prices.

As far as places where you can ride, it's possible almost anywhere you can find a place to park and plenty of beach to launch from on either the ocean or sound. Between Buxton and Waves there were plenty of places. As well there are numerous shops to ask for advice. The folks at Realkiteboarding are very friendly and helpful. They have locations in Buxton and Waves and know the area extremely well.

PhillB
PhillB
Kiter Noob

Postby Carl » Mon May 12, 2003 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I returned from my trip yesterday and just read your message.

Tourist season doesn't really kick-in until Memorial Day, but the winds are best in the spring. I ended up staying at a two bedroom cottage w/ kitchen right on the ocean in Nags Head for $50/night (they couldn't find the key for the efficiency unit that I was supposed to stay in).

I hooked up with some guys from Kitty Hawk Kite School (Nags Head). They were doing instructor PASA certifications while I was there. Got a free lesson from two of the "instructors in training".

Weather was 70 - 80 degrees. No wetsuit required on the sound side. Had +10 mph winds for a portion of the day every day. Ended up riding in Avon (I think this is near Buxton) on one day. There aren't very many bad places to ride on the sound. It is waist deep water for miles. Wind direction is not a factor. If you can't get up wind, simply walk back.
Carl
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Carl
Board Monkey

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations