Info about Aruba?

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Info about Aruba?

Postby Wingman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:55 pm

My wife and I are headed to Aruba at the end of November. Anyone have any good contacts there? Anyone know what type of equipment rental is available? I really don't want to lug my board through the airport. I figured on bringing 2 kites and renting anything else I might need. Good idea? or bad idea? What shop should I rent through?

Thanks,
--Bill
Wingman
Chop Wrestler

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Hey Bill,

I was in Aruba about 5 years ago before I was kiting and I would highly recommend bringing all your stuff. I rented windsurf equipment right there at Vela and I imagine they now rent kiting equipment. I hear you can only kitesurf until 10 AM and then it's all the poleboaders ONLY allowed out. If you bring your gear you will not be restricted to the main or most popular beach and can surely go anywhere that has good side on conditions. It blew 10 out of the 10 days I was there like clock work & all the same direction. BRING YOUR GEAR. You will not be dissappointed. Have fun and post your experience when you get back. I'm planning on going down in March for a week.
Pete
Chop Wrestler

Postby kwk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:45 pm

I was there last year. There is a shop next to the Marriott that rents gear. I would still recommend bringing your own. At that launch the winds are offshore but they have a service where they will come get you if you get downwinded. It can get crowded. The other main launch site is on the other end of the island beneath the prison that sits up on a bluff. It is a great spot with onshore conditions and no crowds.

Have fun.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby Wingman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:47 am

Thanks for the info.

The place by the prison seams to be the place to go.

I am sure my wife will love sun bathing for the pleasure of all the inmates!

Does that beach (Boca Grande) have any amenities...i.e. public rest room, etc?

--Bill
Wingman
Chop Wrestler

Postby kwk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:20 pm

No it does not. Stop and pick something up before you get there. There is nothing close to there.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations