Update from Aruba

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Update from Aruba

Postby Wingman » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:23 am

82 degrees and plenty of wind!

Yesterday I rode at Boca Grande with onshore winds at about 14 knots. The forecast for the rest of the week is 17-22 knots. For once I am not getting skunked on a trip (hope I didn't speak too soon).

I will try to post some pics when I get home.

--Bill
Wingman
Chop Wrestler

Postby V » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Dude, I may head to Aruba in January. Please post any updates on places to hit, etc. I'd love to know if kiting is reasonably easy to get access to. I plan to just bring my 15m and small board.

Kited in Bonaire, right next to aruba, so the wind should be good, but I'm more worried about onshore beaches, adn launch land areas. Thanks in advance!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Wingman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:50 pm

V,

No problem. I will post more when I get home. The onshore breeze at Boca Grandi is not really a problem for anyone with any ability to stay upwind. In fact, when you have the whole beach to yourself and are out on the water alone (during the week most of the locals are at work), it is reasurring that the worst thing that happens to you is you wash up on shore. There are some areas where you need to watch out for reef -- I will post more on that later.

Today was my last day kiting :-( . However, it was AWESOME :D .
20 knot winds, steady breeze and huge surf. The switchblade 2 worked great. The best part was that there is an area where I could ride big surf and then a more protected area without surf (however, the "surfless" area was pretty choppy -- you know, kind of what we are used to on Lake Michigan). The water was a brilliant blue green and the air temp is always in the 80's!

--Bill
Wingman
Chop Wrestler

Postby Wingman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:27 am

V,

When in January are you headed to Aruba?

Lately the winds have been at least 20 knots. You may want to bring a smaller kite than the 15. I found the ikitesurf.com website to have pretty accurate predictions for the wind in Aruba.

To get to Boca Grande you will have to drive to the southeast end of the island (however, they actually call it the "north" side of the island because of the way it lies kind of on an angle-- check out any map and you will see what I am talking about). I made a few wrong turns on the way but eventually got there. Boca Grande is a decent sized beach and you will want to launch from the far left hand side as you look out onto the water. To get to the launch site you will take the main road on the island until it hits a "T" at the site of a giant red anchor. You will then take a left onto a dirt road and go about 1/2 mile-- go past the prison that is on your left. Look for an access road to the beach on your right. You are going to feel like you are "off roading" but I made it in a little rental car no problem. If you go on a weekend, there will be other kiters and you can see their cars. If you do during a weekday you might be the only one there and the makeshift "parking lot" may be hard to find. You know you are in the right place if you see a makeshift hut out of bed sheets and logs.

The other place to kite is on the northeast shore of the island at a place called fisherman's huts. It is near the marriot. You can only kite here until 10:30 am and then after 4:00pm otherwise it belongs to the windsurfers. It is offshore winds and you can ask a guy called Armando who owns Kitesurfing Aruba to keep an eye on you. He will rescue you, if needed, for $20 a rescue. It is gusty at this location but sweet, flat water.

Have fun. Wish I was headed back.

--Bill
Wingman
Chop Wrestler

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations