Kitesurfing in Margarita

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kitesurfing in Margarita

Postby ingrid » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Hey guys,
Just got back from 8 day vacation in Margarita. Kited 6 days in 12-18knot wind and 80 degree weather. Nice place but poleboarders have control of the better part of the beach in El Yaque. Kitebeach is about 50ft wide, upwind of windsurfers and right behind a large hill :evil: Most of the days we used a water taxi for $5 to take us upwind about 3 miles and did downwinders.
Coche island, which is about 20 minute boat ride from El Yaque, is a different story. Large beach for kiteboarders with steady offshore wind and boat rescue in case you are tired to come back 8)
The season starts there around January or Feb when they have 30 knot constant trade winds...
ingrid
Chop Wrestler

Postby nicole » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:35 pm

oh man, you lucky! i want to go to coche bad. i think autofocus was shot there, and it looks smooth like butter! and they have sliders and kickers permanently there, right? we wanted to go there this winter, but found flights and accomodations in cabarete to be cheaper...maybe next year. so did you get to kite at coche? or were you just at el yaque for most of the time? where did you stay?
nicole
Master of Kite

coche

Postby ingrid » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I did kite at Coche and water there is perfectly flat since it always blows offshore. it is so sweet to ride such a smooth water, nothing compared to Montrose or lake michigan all together. we'll post some pics soon...
they only had one slider there but it could be because the season has not officially started.
i stayed in El Yaque Beach Hotel-nice place and prices are pretty similar to Aguilina hotel in cabarete. Coche has only a few hotels and no nightlife. we had some non-kiting friends so we chose El Yaque. It is only about $10 to get to coche from el yaque but if I go again, i'll definitely stay in coche!
When are you going to DR? are you in chicago now?
ingrid
Chop Wrestler

Postby nicole » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:35 pm

yeah, im in chicago now...well, the burbs. i'm going to cabarete from jan. 9-march 8 and then its back to hatteras!
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby West » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:36 am

Where in the Burbs are you Nicole, and are you snowkiting at all? Are you hooking up with the Real crew in Cabarete? If so when? Many questions...
West
Wind Whore

Postby nicole » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:33 pm

im in Mokena, a SW suburb. no, i havent snowkited at all yet. i havent found any good spots out here yet, its all corn fields. and yeah, im going to cabarete with 3 other people from Real - Brandon, Trevor and Lulu (Brandon and Trevor are coaches and Lulu works in the shop). I think the Liquid Force crew might be heading to cabarete sometime this winter too, although im not sure when.
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby West » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:44 am

Sounds like you got a good group headin' down there, have FUN :D!! If you ever want to snow kite while you're still in Chicago, get in touch with V, or drop me a PM. There are some spots around Naperville, maybe you could hook up with us. Soybean fields are the ones to look for if you see some open fields.
West
Wind Whore

Postby venezuela » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:55 am

Hi I'm a venezuelan kite trour operator here, good to hear you enjoyed venezuela, we have so much more to offer like Los Roques, Cubagua island, La Restinga and Adicora. wind is great from late Nov through June and we're just a short flight from miami. I arrange all inclusive guided holidays so be glad to help with any info. thanx

Alex
venezuela
Kiter Noob

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations