Mt. Bohemia, MI

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Mt. Bohemia, MI

Postby Rorke » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Every year, a few of my skiing buddies and I head all the way up north to Mt. Bohemia in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is as far up north as you can go on this narrow peninsula that goes about 40 miles into Lake Superior. You've got to google earth it!
http://www.mtbohemia.com
The snow is really good up there because the lake effect is possible from any direction. Mt. Bohemia is THE gnarliest terrain I've ever skied. It has cliffs up to 35 ft. This year two guys broke a hand, last year a collar bone, two years ago my left leg broke, three years ago I broke two ribs. It is very very gnarly.
We stay in these unfancy little lodges on Lac La Belle. The only bar/restaurant for miles is right there, and the shuttle is always happy to stop in and get you. Highly recommended.
This year was the first year in five that we didn't get pounded by snow the whole time. For the first time, we could see Lake Superior all around us, and the not so small Lac La Belle. It looked too good to pass up. So I did a couple more runs and packed it up.
About a half hour later I had my 9m pumped and was buzzing around on this kick butt lake. Super deep powder, it was like flat water.
Anyway, it is just a great ski/kite spot I wanted to share. If anybody wants more info, let me know.
Rorke
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby coRRale » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:05 pm

Just curious when did you go??

I went to Big Powerderhorn 2 weekends ago and it was killer. Temps were freezing so the place was empty. We lodged at the bottom of the resort and basically resided at the bars during the nights.

Next time your heading up that way, drop me an email! I can imagine how great of a time you had. Unfortunately we had 2 people in our group that didn't know how to ski so, hehehe, Mt. Bohemia was sorta out of the question.

-phil
coRRale
Chop Wrestler

Postby Rorke » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Phil,
I went last weekend, which looks like it was the right time to go.
I've never been to big Powder Horn. Smart move not bringing any beginners to Bohemia though. The only blue run on the mountain requires going on a tough black section to get to.
Next time I go, I will post it on the forum. Also, if anybody has plans to go, please do the same. It is the best expert terrain in the midwest by far. But when you see how sweet the lake is right there, you won't spend all your time on the hill.
Rorke
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby STF » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:16 pm

how far a drive is it?
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby coRRale » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:58 pm

it really depends:
big powderhorn is between 6-8 hrs depending on the conditions
mt. bohemia is 8-11 hrs depending on the conditions.

when the roads are plowed everything is fine and dandy, just pop in your favorite song and whola, your there in no time. if you decide to head out there during a storm, expect to be frustrated beyound your mind! the roads become a clusterfuck and its hard to find out where you are going (even if you havce been there before)

just my 2 cents. if you are a decent skier or boarder and need a new and exciting place to see without going all the way out to colorado, check these places out!

-phil
coRRale
Chop Wrestler

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations