Taking your kiteboard on the plane with you

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Taking your kiteboard on the plane with you

Postby V » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:50 am

I keep the board less than 5'1" for travel so I don't get charged by the airlines. Plus they are heavy. That's the reason I sold that big 'ol Lightwave. Decent board, but real big and heavy. Don't need it anymore. Where you travel you should expect wind, or go somehwere else. So I try and go short as possible. The Jarvis is the longest. I have the LFT which is 167cm but never travel with it.

The car is for getting around from Puerto Morelos, from what I understand, there's not much around there int he immediate area...

V
Quoting jake steele:

V,
I have a litewave 169. Is this too big for traveling easily? Puerto Morelos is right where we're looking. When you say I'd need a car - is that for getting to Carmen del playa for nightlife etc. or is for getting to the beach?
Jake
V
Unstrapped!

Postby V » Mon May 17, 2004 1:21 pm

I took my 139cm SX2004 with me on all my trips this year. I packed it into a 150cm bag with two kites. To Mexico it was the 19 and 15m and to Bonaire it was the 15 and 11m. I had plenty of room for another kite but didn't think I needed it. Before and after the trip, I laid out the kites outside on the ground and made sure to get all the sand and air out to lessen the bulk and size. Its good to get a return flight in mid-to-late afternoon the day you leave the caribbean. If your gear is wet still, the bag weighs 20 lbs more it seems!

To get the air out the best way is to lay out the kite completely on its back and fold it lengthways entirely from one tip to the other (fold it in half). Then I fold the trailing edge in one half the chord of the kite. The tip is not folded however. So only the middle portion of th ekite gets folded in. Then start with a 4-6 inch fold in the tip and fold it over and over until you reach the middle release valve. This forces all the air to the middle from both sides at the same time and gets it super empty. Be sure to take a second or two to squeeze each folded section to make sure the air is out before folding again toward the center. Once it is done. I fold the two "rolls" over on each other and then start folding them toward the trailing edge.

This leaves me with a kite roll that is super tight and small. Make sure the kite is dry before doing this obviously. I can get my board, bar, wetsuit, two kites and pump and harness in one boardbag with room to spare for one additional kite.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations