Cumbuco, Brazil

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Cumbuco, Brazil

Postby Kevin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey Everyone -

I sort of feel obligated to post a brief travel report of my recent kiting trip to Brazil (Cumbuco - Fortaleza area). Cumbuco is about an hour from Fortaleza where you fly into (Delta now supposedly offering Atlanta-Fortaleza direct). I stayed in Cumbuco the whole time, and my one friend spent the week before in Prea which is about 3-4 hours further north, and tends to be stronger winds.

Two friends of mine have wanted to learn to kite and heard this was a great spot to go, and I tagged along to improve on my ever slow to develop kiting skills.

The windy season is like June-January, and we were there the first 2 weeks of January, basically catching the tail end of the wind season. Every day was kiteable except for the last day, where it rained for the first time. Most days you'd see 9-12 m kites, with the wind slowing down later in the day. More sun equals more wind there, with huge sand dunes generating strong thermals. There was occasional strong winds at night, and on a couple occasions a handful of locals decided to head out at night (like 11 pm) under the full moon light, and just tore it up attracting huge crowds from the downtown bars. It was quite a sight to see. I wish I knew how to capture that on film.

All in all it was a good learning experience, although probably not great for beginners. The open ocean chop/swell and pretty big shorebreak was a first for me, and it frustrated my friends quite a bit. Unfortunately we weren't responsible enough until the end to realize that if you don't stay out late drinking the night before you can get up early and kite at low tide, where the conditions are a lot different and I'd say more calm than a windy day on Lake Michigan.

There is a flat water lagoon (Caiupe) about 5 miles outside of Cumbuco which has to be one of the most unsafe kiting spots in the world. It is small, ridiculously crowded, and surrounded on much of its perimeter by cabanas with many locals swimming, especially at the downwind shore. One day I was there a small sailboat decided to go for a cruise in the lagoon. Another day in the morning there were two kids swimming right in the middle of the lagoon. Unreal.

The weather was ridiculously warm, the wind almost guaranteed, and especially at low tide some pretty good kiting. Beautiful place, beautiful women (slight edge in this category to Brazil over places like Hatteras and Padre), and if you can manage a reasonable flight relatively cheap to stay and live. Toby, the guy who runs kiteforum.com lives down there. I met up with him briefly, he is super helpful if you need any info. If anyone is thinking of making such a trip PM me for details on places to stay, etc.

Hopefully see people on the water this spring.

-Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Local from Fortaleza!

Postby jairodeabreu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 pm

What's up Kevin?!!
I was just reading the old topics and I found the most interesting topic so far! I was born and raised in Fortaleza. All the places you mentioned I know very well, and your post made me miss it a lot, the last time I was there was two years ago. Cauipe's Lagoon (not Caiupe) was the first place I tried windsurfing and kitesurfing with my brow, Levi Lenz, in 2008 he was ranked by the PWA the 22nd in freestyle.

I'm going back in December for a month vacation, and I expect some wind, but I know that when the wind really kicks in is in August. I've seen kids flying in a 5M kites on the Cauipe's lagoon. I know how crowded it can get, specially during weekends.

The best place to stay for any wind sport is Jericoacoara - Jijoca. It is gorgeous, simple, friendly, safe, cheap and it is one of the most windiest places of the world, best spot for me so far, Jericoacoara (or just Jeri) is satisfaction garanteed. It is about 5 to 6 hours West of Fortaleza. I have to control myself so I don't write 2500 words only about Jericoacoara. Just go to www.jeri.com

It is always good to know that a kiter from Chicago have been in Fortaleza. I believe that I will meet new kiters from Chicago this summer time. Maybe someone is up for a trip in Fortaleza.

Take it easy men, I hope meet you soon. By the way, the picture under my name is there!
jairodeabreu
Pump Master

Cumbuco

Postby Kevin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Yeah, that sure is a beatiful part of the world where you're from. Had an awesome trip and am sure I'll be back. My one buddy went to Jeri (in Prea area I believe), known to be better wind but more of a trek to get there. Also not quite as much to do there compared with Cumbuco/Fortaleza, and we had a non-kiter friend with us.

Having been out this spring already around here, I sure do miss the 80 degree air and water temps of Brazil......
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations