Ireland Report

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Ireland Report

Postby 4w7s » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 am

I've been in Ireland for the past 8 days, kited 6 days (3 in Dublin, 3 in Lahinch) all with 9.5m and 7.5m kites and directional boards....and more wind and waves coming this week. This past Saturday it was blowing 50+ kts and unkitable - people literally blown off the water with 4m kites, but Sunday was without question the best day of riding in my entire 9 years of kitesurfing. The swell in Lahinch on the West Coast of County Clare was pumping into the bay with double if not triple overhead sets/10 to 12 seconds with 30-35 kts of wind, 50m between peaks with smooth bowl shaped troughs....all....day....long. It was unreal. Tomorrow will be 4m+, 30 kts, 14 seconds...it's like a dream.

Aside from the kiting, the Ireland experience has been absolutely mind blowing. I could easily spend 10 years here and not see it all. There are so many places to ride here, so many things to do and see, that I will only scratch the surface in the next 3-4 weeks. You can ride flat water or waves here...but they can be serious waves...the likes of which I have never seen before...big, beautiful, and heavy. There are cheap B&B's everywhere, or you can rent a camper van here and park at, or very nearby launch spots all over the island....which by size comparison fits 8 times inside the borders of Texas. A drive from East coast to West coast is around 300 km, around 500km North to South.

It's not as cold here as I expected it to be - in fact I find it quite mild and have yet to feel a chill. I would compare it to an average late Sept/early October in Michigan, but the water is much warmer than expected -mid to high 50's. And the weather stays more constant here due to the Gulf Streams effect, and the locals say the cold is not much of a big issue except for perhaps Jan/Feb. These guys here would probably think we are totally daft for riding on Lake MI in November and December.

Without a doubt Ireland is my new #1 spot...I have been too a few epic spots and nothing....I mean nothing...compares. Even if you got totally skunked here you would have a GREAT time...and if you paddle surf that would be a huge bonus back-up plan. Plus lots of other great outdoor recreation, anything imaginable as well. I am also amazed by the number of girls kiting and surfing. I even saw a granny (probably 60+ yo) going out in big waves with a boogie board the other day!

And if you want palm tress...they've got them here too. Dublin is one of the coolest cities I've ever seen - totally cosmopolitan, lots of nightlife, and full of pretty women and fun, friendly people. Good "craic" everywhere you go- and no, I don't mean the stuff you smoke in a glass pipe. But they've got that too I am sure.

Ireland, a 5 or 6 hour flight from the US East Coast...give it a lash - you will not be disappointed.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 am

Very interesting Roberto....enjoyed the post thoroughly. Now if only you were riding a twin-tip in those waves...... :lol:

Keep the updates coming and post pics please.....I just added a non-States option to my kiting destinations. My wife is 3/4 Irish, and it would be an easy sell........have a Guiness for me!!!

By the way, I've been tending to the waves on the BIG LAKE for you while you're gone......caught PT. BETSIE and Frankfort going off, and heading to the Honey Hole later this week....October has been the best on record, with little reprieve.....thank heavens.......enjoy the emerald isle!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Misfit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:40 am

That's sweet!! Spent a summer in dublin before I kited or surfed.... damn!! Now i've got another kiting destination on my list too! Keep those reports comming! Btw, photos?

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 am

Interesting... Marc from england and I are looking for a place to go... we were considering going back to Mui Ne or Sal. If he only has to fly an hour, I"l be pissed! :-P
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Mixmikeup » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:21 am

Misfit wrote:That's sweet!! Spent a summer in dublin before I kited or surfed.... damn!!

Cory

Haha, I feel ya. I'm going back through the last ten years of my life thinking of all the great potential kiting spots I was at, and I never even knew... I never even knew.... heheh.
Cabrinha Caliber 130 - Litewave Wing 154 - Brunotti Bumblebee 5'0" - Flysurfer Quiver
Mixmikeup
Pump Master

Postby Northerner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am

Great to hear about your trip. I've heard great things about Ireland from some of the Irish kiters I've met on different overseas kiting trips. There is also some great surfing vids shot there that show how serious the waves can get.
Get some pics up! This spot seems like a great compromise for the wife and I for a vacation. She has been to Ireland twice and loves it for all the non kiting reasons you listed. How is August there? Being a teacher October is a bad month for me.
Cool Trip
Last edited by Northerner on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Depending on where you are in Ireland, or how mobile you are willing to be, you can kite here all year. Fall and winter bring the big swells though. Tuesday it will be 20' on the West Coast. When they say 20' here it's the real deal. And the Guinness is the real stuff too...much different than what gets shipped out of Ireland.

West, if you come here you will not want to go back.

So far 2 days with 9m and 6 days with 7m...I have decided to stay 2 more weeks than planned. It has simply been unreal so far.

I have some nice pics but it's a pain to post them here.
Last edited by 4w7s on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:11 pm

wicked.

any idea roberto how it is in spring or summer?

please post some pics...would love to see them.

bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby decepticon12 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 am

If you can make it up to Northern Ireland, try. It is certainly amazing as well.

And yes, I have to agree with you regarding the women.
decepticon12
Board Monkey

Postby 4w7s » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 am

skysurfr wrote:Interesting... Marc from england and I are looking for a place to go... we were considering going back to Mui Ne or Sal. If he only has to fly an hour, I"l be pissed! :-P

It's not a bad flight to Ireland, 5-6 hrs from NY...certainly nothing like going to Asia. If you can fly business/first it's an outright pleasure.

While I loved Asia the kiting here is in a whole different league. Kiting in warm water is great, but very few places in Asia have good winds and waves. Westen Oz is a long way to go...I've only been to Victoria and New SOuth Wales, but I have heard Western Oz is fairly bland outside of surfing/kiting aspect. And from Chicago it's at least a 24 hour flight to get out there.

If I could go to a "fantasy" location it would be Madagascar and then do S. Africa at the same time and/or Mauritius...but those both have logistical challenges as well. Doing Ireland is relatively a no brainer for planning and basic day to day survival.

Ireland is a bit (quite actually) expensive if you stay in nice hotels and eat out all the time.

PS emailed some pics to Bob, maybe he can post them.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:23 am

skysurfr wrote:Interesting... Marc from england and I are looking for a place to go... we were considering going back to Mui Ne or Sal. If he only has to fly an hour, I"l be pissed! :-P

It's not a bad flight to Ireland, 5-6 hrs from NY...certainly nothing like going to Asia. If you can fly business/first it's an outright pleasure.

While I loved Asia the kiting here is in a whole different league. Kiting in warm water is great, but very few places in Asia have good winds and waves. Westen Oz is a long way to go...I've only been to Victoria and New SOuth Wales, but I have heard Western Oz is fairly bland outside of surfing/kiting aspect. And from Chicago it's at least a 24 hour flight to get out there.

If I could go to a "fantasy" location it would be Madagascar and then do S. Africa at the same time and/or Mauritius...but those both have logistical challenges as well. Doing Ireland is relatively a no brainer for planning and basic day to day survival.

Ireland is a bit (quite actually) expensive if you stay in nice hotels and eat out all the time.

PS emailed some pics to Bob, maybe he can post them.

decepticon12 wrote:If you can make it up to Northern Ireland, try. It is certainly amazing as well.

And yes, I have to agree with you regarding the women.

Hoping to get to Northern Ireland by extending my stay. I still need to get down to Cork and Dingle, and also up to Galway and Mayo. While Ireland is about the size of Michigan it takes longer to get to some places. Except for a small system of "dual carriageways" (highways) the roadways are small, sometimes only wide enough for 1 large vehicle! and I would say you can only average around 80k/h at the end of the day when going to surf spots.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations