Keep those hands WARM!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Keep those hands WARM!

Postby V » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:44 pm

For your hands, you could do what I do. Get yourself a cheap pair of fleece gloves (thin, but not too thin), and then get a pair of $1.99 rubber dish gloves from Walmart. Put the dish gloves over the fleece and my hands stay warm for hours. Sure, they get wet in there, but it doesn't matter. You could also use a rubberband to seal it off, but I find that just complicates things. Don't tuck 'em in, either, or your suit will take water from the small folds in the armseals...

When the equipment gets damaged, its only $1.99 to replace. I buy 'em two at a time in XL to make sure I have a spare if I tear one out there. So far, I'm still on my original pair. Good $2 investment if you ask me.

V
V
Unstrapped!

Postby V » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:25 pm

The dish gloves work well, but they are a pain to replace. I think I'm going with the more durable mittens now. The 3mm mittens are really warm and they don't tear in the bag while being tossed in and out of the truck. Get the mittens that have the thin rubber coating to minimize wind. It is the cold wind that seems to be the problem, not the cold water (for me).
V
Unstrapped!

Postby V » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:12 am

Okay, abandoned the dish gloves finally. They work, but get ripped and are a pain in the butt to deal with, frankly. So I got a pair of 3mm stretchy RipCurl gloves with pre-bend fingers (a must):

The gloves are 3mm and very stretchy. They are covered with a wind-blocking liner of rubber that should make them very warm. The big issue for me is windchill on my hands, and tightness, so blood can get to them. In the cold, with gloves, my hands sometimes get cold due to the gloves being tight and hard to bend. I know it sounds crazy, but you need to get gloves that have pre-bent fingers. Your hands/grip will tire quickly and blood flow is reduced when the material is always kinked against your skin. After 40 minutes of this, its enough. These gloves are pre-bent and flexible so my hands feel more comfy. Here's teh post to that:

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... ht=ripcurl
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum