Friday 5.14 MILLER

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby dewsy » Fri May 14, 2010 8:35 am

headin out there now with the flysurfer and the spleene, kinda bummed cause my new board comes in today..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby ironben » Fri May 14, 2010 9:02 am

I agree with you on safety on Wolf lake.
Last Saturday was NW wind 10-20 at time when finally it died leaving me with kite down being drag to shore pass the island , where my kite landed on a tree. My other friend who was with me did just water body dragging and he had hard time keeping his kite away from shore.
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby kitenick » Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 am

Dewsy,

Can you give us an update on the wind about 4:00 - 5:00. I iwll leave work then and if it is windy I will head to Miller, lake street beach. If not I will go to wolf and check it out.

I agree wolf is not for beginers and it is scketchy lauch even for the more experienced.

jim
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby schuss8899 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Mike...stay home, you will just be trashed in the gusts...too much variance between max and min.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby dewsy » Fri May 14, 2010 5:39 pm

sorry james, I had to leave at 2 for work.. as far as the conditions, when I got there at about 930 or so, it was barely side-off and gusty.. we did get some good near shore riding in.. right at about 12:30 it picked up and was very ridable.. the further out you went the smoother it was, but still was gusty..

did that guy ever get his board back?

maza, how's your arm?

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby maz » Fri May 14, 2010 6:33 pm

yeah that flysurfer is a wild beast :lol:
luckily for the suit, shoulder is doing good. no battle wounds to show the girlfriend.
glad I took the day off though, a bit of a teaser wind conditions, but good times for sure.
was that your other kite I saw in the dumpster in the parking lot?
:lol:
maz
Sand Bagger

Postby seblue » Fri May 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Yes I think he got the board back.
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby dewsy » Fri May 14, 2010 6:54 pm

nope that wasnt my kite in the dumpster.. that must have happened after i left.. whats the story with that?

glad your ok maza, that happened SO fast, we're lucky big rick was there to grab the kite and keep it from taking off again..

sean, did you end up getting some?

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby IVO » Fri May 14, 2010 7:02 pm

seblue wrote:Yes I think he got the board back.

As far as I know the count for the day is -2 boards:)
IVO
Zen Levitator

Miller..

Postby jojy » Fri May 14, 2010 7:49 pm

So I got a lesson today..my first one actually. any way, I'm happy to announce I got on the board and actually stayed on it LOL :lol: .

The water was grate, but the wind was kinda gusty I think... all I know, is I made a mistake open my 14m instead the 9m (...got lazy to replace), resulting the kite to be at over depower and still stay up (!).

My body is so sore I think I won't surf for the next week .. :roll:

Tnx for everybody for keeping an eye on me and tnx to Henry.
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby maz » Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 pm

no dumpster story, just a bad joke..
yeah that could have gotten a whole lot uglier if it weren't for Rick. So thanks for sure!
I felt the lines get tangled in my harness, and didn't have time to think of what to do. hope you're ok, I didn't even see where you were in that mess

Ivo, hope your board finds a new happy home, maybe you'll pick it up in waukegan next week :)
maz
Sand Bagger

Postby IVO » Fri May 14, 2010 8:09 pm

maz wrote:Ivo, hope your board finds a new happy home, maybe you'll pick it up in waukegan next week :)

ahh,my boards traveled home with me,Im trying to not break it up that tradition..:)

As far from the direction of the wind I would say there is 1200$ in the water between Miller and South Haven..Just from what I saw today on the beach I was very supriced and happy that everybody did drive home alive!!!Some crazy stunt kitesurfing,,at one point it felt I would be much safer on the beach and once I get there,parking lot was probably the best idea :shock: :lol: :twisted: :wink:
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby dewsy » Fri May 14, 2010 8:48 pm

IVO wrote:
Just from what I saw today on the beach I was very supriced and happy that everybody did drive home alive!!!Some crazy stunt kitesurfing,,at one point it felt I would be much safer on the beach :lol: :twisted: :wink:

HA! Not that I'm not a Noob but it did seem as if there was a bit of "well, let's throw it up there and see what happens".. at one point, it looked a bit like amateur hour on the water :lol: heh, not really a lot of calculation of risk.. but it worked out.. ;)

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby ironben » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm

I found my board miles down from miller. Did 1hr of riding 5 of walking.
The other guy lost 2 boards managed to find one. we stayed to late hours to see if it was washed out on the beach. to make meters worse, someone took or stole this guy pump and bag with the keys to his car, making his wife drive from Chicago.
On the other note I have to say, it is funny for some to say that there are boards (expensive boards) floating in water, however, this could be easily avoided if some of you veterans would simply ask the guy down in water for 1/2 hr if he is ok. I guess when you are passing me 20 meters away it is too much to ask or help for some of you! very sad and upsetting to find that on Miller beach.
What goes around, comes around?
I would like to thank Peter who took his time and went downwind to try to help find my board.
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Misfit » Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 pm

What constitutes a veteran? Most of those i'd consider veterans generally don't ride offshore conditions.

We're a community, we should always watch out for each other. Most of the guys I know that have been kiting for several years wouldn't have turned their back on ya. Having said that, l need to follow it with a Kiting in off shore conditions is a recipe for disaster. You guys are lucky you lost a board

Hope the boards come back. Hope there are names and numbers on them.

Later

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby ironben » Fri May 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Well you should add that it is a rider responsibility to retrieve his board.
I get it, I get it all. If I see someone in distress I would not try to make excuses either this guy needs to learn things the hard way; I would simply offer help.
But hey,, what do I know? I'm just a newbie.
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby IVO » Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 pm

ironben wrote:I found my board miles down from miller. Did 1hr of riding 5 of walking.
The other guy lost 2 boards managed to find one. we stayed to late hours to see if it was washed out on the beach. to make meters worse, someone took or stole this guy pump and bag with the keys to his car, making his wife drive from Chicago.
On the other note I have to say, it is funny for some to say that there are boards (expensive boards) floating in water, however, this could be easily avoided if some of you veterans would simply ask the guy down in water for 1/2 hr if he is ok. I guess when you are passing me 20 meters away it is too much to ask or help for some of you! very sad and upsetting to find that on Miller beach.
What goes around, comes around?
I would like to thank Peter who took his time and went downwind to try to help find my board.

First of all,that guy who stole that bag was me,I and Peter were leaving last,I noticed the bag..as far as tradition among kitesurfer goes,last one on the beach take care of the stuff on the beach so next day you are not going to get angry on yourself,how lightheaded you are left the board,bag,bars ect.on the beach and be happy that somebody pick your stuff up and not some dude from Gary!I already made a post about this first thing once I get home..

now on the other note,I put the kite down for quit a bit a time today,because condition were very sketchy at best..I would never toutch the water trying to learn this sport in wind direction like today,no need to talk about cold water ect..do you have idea why this boards were not coming to the beach?Because it was off shore,dirty winds..!!!!

What goes around,comes around?Hell,I tried to stay upwind as much as possible from what I saw as stunt kitesurfing..Still shaking my head how somebody has that nerves go out very,very,very far and LEARN..hence numerous boards lost.Never blame others,blame only yourself!And be sure as Cory reply to you,you and others were very lucky that it end up with just a lost boards..

1.never kite alone,always have somebody with enough experince keeping a eye on you

2.never try to learn in even slight off shore conditions

3.never try to learn in cold waters,no matter how thick your wetsuit is..

If I see someone in distress I would not try to make excuses either this guy needs to learn things the hard way; I would simply offer help

sorry about this,I dont know who you reffering about,but I was way upwind..there goes rule number 1..
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby maly » Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Not here to argue , I'm just surprised I haven't seen any of you "experts" and "newbies" in Michigan City where W and WSW is nice side shore and clean , not to mention the protection of the jetty and huge sandy beach with parking lot right there. All this 20 minutes from Miller !!!
Mario
maly
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby jojy » Fri May 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Wooowww...... what happened at Miller ? I was there from 1 to 4 with all good guys... I guess it all happened after I left.
I'm a noob, had a lesson, enjoy my day, staid safe and kept my energy in the water...

Hope you all do the same

Peace :wink:
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby jensmadwind » Sat May 15, 2010 7:15 am

i will help anybody in distress but, i am no board caddy.

if you can't body drag back to your board, let alone two of them, then you are obviously in over your head(pun intended)
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

PreviousNext

Return to Where to Ride Today