5-23

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby jojy » Mon May 24, 2010 12:01 am

xwindsurf, you're absolutely right, I do appreciate and I did saw that page.
yet it is always good to ask here, since I'd like to meet with other kiters and see what they think as the current good location to surf (a lot of them actually do it from the beach).

Special thanks to Amanda, Mike and Jason for stopping me making all the ride to Wash. Park, it's kinda sucks to pack the van and take it all out 15minutes later......

Hope we all have better wind next time 8)
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Safe_Cracker » Mon May 24, 2010 12:46 am

Keegs meter definately screwy. I took the ride tonight just to check it out the only thing right was the air temp which was weird because as I exited the e way it was 83F and when I got to the beach it was 64F. I measured 9kts gusting to 11 at 11:20 pm and the data shows nada. A little more and I would have rode lots of light w the moon...

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby snowball » Mon May 24, 2010 9:54 am

So many flysurfers at waukegan...now i want one haha. Atleast is was nice out
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby West » Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Sheboygan was in full bloom Sunday!! About 20 or so kites rigged up, and a good dozen on the water. Great weather. Nice to see the kiters ripping it up along the shoreline. Most everyone was under control and having fun. 12m were the call.

Sherriff and the deputies had the place under surveillance....there were several lessons going on, alot of jumping, and a couple of folks going wayyyyyy tooooooo far out. One report of someone from Chicago downing a kite on the outside, and luckily he was retrieved by a passing boat. DONT GO OUT FARTHER THAN YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO SWIM IN, ESPECIALLY AT SHEBOYGAN!!!!!!

That being said, Mario and Ivo brought beer for the masses....much appreciated....Pena only releases a few PBR's at a time so ALWAYS bring coldies when heading to Shesablowin', you will be amazed at the warm reception you get on future visits. Many thanks to the crew up there.....rivalled only by the boyz in DA HAVEN!! They don't call him Mr. Hospitality for nothing. :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby jojy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Tnx for the update..........a bit too late :roll: :D
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Northerner » Mon May 24, 2010 7:24 pm

A good day up here indeed, wind started at 10:30 and it blew on and off till 6. Most people on 10 and 12 meter kites with a few 16s mixed in at times. Everyone stayed in the kiting area, though we are all guilty of doing a little beach walking over the few sun bathers that were right by the kiting area. During the summer when the beach is packed that is not an option. I also would suggest that everyone launches and then walk to the south end of the beach to start your session. One the wind is almost always better at the south end of the beach and two it will clear up space for people trying to throw down tricks in the shallows.

Great see old friends and meet some new ones. It's always nice to meet the international side of Chicago. West showing up was a big surprise of the day. Him taking on the two hour drive after driving up from Texas the day before really shows his commitment to kiting and the Great Lakes scene. We all got a great laugh watching him toss out an endless number of boards from the back of his truck. BroKite made its first Great Lakes debut and everyone was impressed. West left one here for people to demo when Sheboygan gets blowing.

I sure could go for a few more days with conditions like yesterday. Too bad the forecast isn't saying the same thing.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby kitenick » Tue May 25, 2010 10:41 pm

I wish I would have kow that Sheboy was the spot, I would have surly hoined you guys. A post would have been nice.
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby West » Wed May 26, 2010 8:20 am

Given the make-up of that day....there was no "sure" thing, and rarely is there when you are talking about thermal activity.

As it turned out it was the windiest earlier in the day, fell off, picked up a bit, fell off, and picked up a bit.

Just when would a post have been informative enough to have made the choice to make the drive to Sheboygan. I don't know how long of a drive it is for you....but for me it is 2 and a half hours, one-way.

Encouraging someone else to make the drive is a touchy situation. I have found that it is best to learn the local weather pattern, shake some rocks, and hope for the best. AND when you do get skunked....hang with the local kiters, share a coldie over a few stories, and mosey on back home!!

Out of curiosity, what if you had driven all the way to Sheboygan and gotten there just as everyone was getting off the water after a tremendous session. And the wind died as you pulled into the parking lot? That is the question at hand.....people will post sometimes, and sometimes they won't....it's up to the individual to know the weather, and to make their own decisions!!!

Ivo did post his intentions for the day....which he followed exactly. I posted early Sunday that he was on the right track....a 9m or a 12m? He rode his 12 all day. I headed out after my post, and although it had backed off by the time I arrived, it did pick back up and I rode Pena's 11m. Keep tuning into the local weather pattern, and if you really want to kite frequently on Lake Michigan....get ready to drive, and be prepared to get skunked!! See you on the water next time. Happy Kiting.
West
Wind Whore

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today