Kiteboarding gear airport security

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kiteboarding gear airport security

Postby decepticon12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 am

Can anyone tell me what is the procedure/experience for getting kiting gear checked in to a flight with the least bit of hassle?

What should I be prepared for?
decepticon12
Board Monkey

Postby t bagger bob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:15 pm

Your board is the only worry. If they spot it, or you mention the word "board", get your wallet out for the travel with board tax. Last time I got taxed, I think it cost about $75 one way.

Deception is your friend. I have a bag for the board and one kite that says "golf" on the outside. If they think it is golf clubs, no charge or should I say no extra charge as I hear that the airlines are charging for all bags checked?

I've heard that curbside check in will get you by also, but then you have the tip the sky cap guy tax.

If you are coming back from a kiting destination, it's usually 50/50 whether they spot your board

Good luck! Where you going?
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby decepticon12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm going to be visiting my family in D.Republic so I may catch some winds en el norte.
decepticon12
Board Monkey

Bringing gear on flight

Postby mr_orange » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm fairly new to the sport, and have never brought gear on a flight before. Just to clarify, do you guys bring your gear on the flight with you, or just check it? Considering how $$$ everything is, I'd obviously like to carry as much on as possible, but I wasn't sure how much hassle people have had doing that (given size restrictions and everything else). Is it possible to carry-on a kite and board?

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.
mr_orange
Board Slinger

Watch the 50lb

Postby kiteboardingcostarica » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 am

I have a lot of experience moving gear on flights. Most important offcourse never tell them what is in your bags. Especially board. Even all kite gear is subject to charge. Golf bags can help. Main thing just say camping gear and stuff.

Most important stay under 50lb they check that like hawk these days is even worse charge then board charge.
kiteboardingcostarica
Kiter Noob

Postby adseguy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 am

No way you are carrying your gear on-board with you. The kiteboard itself is too big and then all all the supporting gear....Sorry gotta check it in.

Like the guy above said, check it in and tell them a fib if they ask what's inside. I usually say golfing stuff, but camping stuff works too. Goodluck!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby ironben » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:05 pm

I was checked many times, specially when i was traveling with 164 door and 180 bag.
I say is a snowboard and most airline have no problem with skiing gear.
no one ever question why you going to Texas or Mexico with snowboard but if ask you can say whatever like you moving or connecting.
They are checking for surf board so if you have one they will charge extra.
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations