Labor Day Weekend

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Labor Day Weekend

Postby Ripshade » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:46 pm

What's the plan guys? Milwaukee kiter here. Me and two others are on a mission for wind, camping and an adventure. South Haven? Muskegon? Sheboygan? Door County? Traverse City? Tawas? Current forecast looks like Michigan side will deliver on friday/sunday/monday. What's your thoughts?
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Re: Labor Day Weekend

Postby West » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:49 am

Michigan side would be the call........unfortunately the South winds are gonna die quickly Friday, giving way to the North flow that will build and be ridable by late Sat or Sunday.

I would get around the LSP area and take a look at the developing conditions, the NORTH around there will be as strong as it is at Pt Betsie/TC area, and stronger than it will be in the South Haven area. When it turns more NW, then Muskegon should be a good call.

Good luck where ever you decide to go, and have fun buddy!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Kitehobo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 pm

What up Chi-tonians!

Ryan here, former Chicago kiter (summer of 2006) and I've been living out in Hatteras the last 5 years and am the East Coast Rep for BEST Kiteboarding. I'm here in Chicago for the next two weeks, displaced due to Hurricane Irene, and have a bunch of the 2012 product and some prototype bars. I'm itching to get out and ride this week and would be stoked to get your feedback on the new product line. Let me know if anyone is headed out to ride and if possible, able to give me a ride from the South Suburbs (my truck is on the east coast).

Cheers, looking forward to riding!
Kitehobo
Chop Wrestler

Postby Ripshade » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Ryan,

I have no solid plan as of yet but I am amassing a crew of kiters. My plan is to chase some wind and hopefully find some decent campsites. As of now we're 4 strong with 4 other maybes. Most of us are coming from Milwaukee/Wisconsin area. Friday, my girlfriend gets off of work around noon and we're planning on heading to Michigan right after. Anyone feel free to give me a call and I can give you a heads up on what's going and what our plan is. All I know is I'd love to score some waves.

West,

Keep me updated. We might try joining up with ya if that's alright.

Cheers,

Milwaukee Kiter Ryan
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Postby West » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:00 pm

yeah Ryans, hdn to the Gorge to visit my brother n law, Sean........good luck and enjoy the weekend......there'll be somethin' happening somewhere! :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Ryan,

If I head out I'll let you know. Still in Orland?

Im off Saturday but may need to fly to St Louis late in the day.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Kitehobo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:22 am

Hey Mike!

Yeah, my P's still live in Orland... staying here until they get power and internet (work) back up and running in Hatteras! Thank god for working virtually... best thing EVA!

Hope to see you!

-Ryan
Kitehobo
Chop Wrestler

Postby kitenick » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 am

Hey guys,

I believe that i will be in south haven on sunday and waukeegan area (il beach) on monday, at least so far based on the forcast. but i really need some help. i want to go to illinois beach and understand that there is only one way in. i am not familiar with the area and am hoping that someone can provide detailed directions to the lauch. the more information the better.

thanks, jim
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby dewsy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm thinking miller both days. But would think it pretty cool to kite southy tomorrow and maybe camp it out.

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Viper » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:54 pm

is anybody going to St. Joe tomorrow? What's the good place for downwinders tomorrow??? I can use some advice from all the advanced kiteboarders here in chicago.

Thanks
Voytek
wkoziarski@yahoo.com
cell: 618-303-2022
Viper
Sand Bagger

Postby STF » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Dont want to jinx it, but this forecast is Turning Me ON http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4apHuWytLko

TONIGHT...NORTH WINDS AROUND 10 KT BECOMING NORTHWEST 15 TO 20
KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY IN THE
EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 1 TO 3
FT. WINDS AND WAVES HIGHER IN AND NEAR THUNDERSTORMS.
.SUNDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. MOSTLY SUNNY. WAVES
BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FT.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...NORTHWEST WINDS TO 30 KT. PARTLY CLOUDY. WAVES
BUILDING TO 5 TO 8 FT.
.MONDAY...NORTH WINDS TO 30 KT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES
6 TO 9 FT.
$$

The STF
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby IVO » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Viper wrote:is anybody going to St. Joe tomorrow? What's the good place for downwinders tomorrow??? I can use some advice from all the advanced kiteboarders here in chicago.

Thanks

Looks like there'll be some heavy swell building up to monday,use common sence when launching to unfamiliar areas,specially with downwinders in mind..

Have fun and stay safe all!!!!!!!!!!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby a_lopez » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:37 pm

New to the forum and beginner kiteboarder.
Miller looks just right on Sunday so I plan to head there in the AM. Windfinder.com says 18-20mph straight on-shore...
Alan
Kahoona 7.5 / Best Nemesis 10 / RRD Hypertype 12 / Taboo 14
a_lopez
Board Monkey

Postby Northerner » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Yo Alan, welcome to the forum

You might want to try a different spot if miller is straight on shore for a couple reasons. One is that on-shore winds produce choppy disorganized waves that aren't much fun to kite in. Two if you’re just getting going in the sport you will need room to go down wind and with on shore winds that’s hard to get. The last reason is that if anything goes wrong you are right up on the beach. I'd suggest looking for a spot that is more Side-on not straight on.

Also watch that 14 meter, there is a good chance you will see more wind then 18-20 tomorrow. If you are green to the sport I wouldn't ride the 14 in anything over 20.

A few of us are hitting Greenbay tomorrow and then plan to ride here on monday. There is a great chance for very long clean waves around head high here on monday. Though I am worried about it having a bit to much west in it. Wait and see I guess. The big Dairyland surf classic is going on here this weekend, surfers are stoked for sunday evening and monday. Best of luck to everyone where ever you end up.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Ripshade » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:41 am

Heading to South Haven. Hope to see some of ya there!
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Postby dewsy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:52 am

someone give me a ring with where your headed.. sixTHREEzero.917.77nine0..
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Kitehobo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 am

Heading over to St. Joe now to meet up with a friend and there... I'll have the new 2012 TS kites from BEST... 17m, 12m and 8m and 138 Profanity for anyone who wants to try! Be there around 1pm.

-Ryan
Kitehobo
Chop Wrestler

Postby a_lopez » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I tried Racine on Monday 9/5 but it was 22mph, gusty and the waves were pretty high, so I bailed with my 14m kite... :(
Alan
Kahoona 7.5 / Best Nemesis 10 / RRD Hypertype 12 / Taboo 14
a_lopez
Board Monkey

Postby STF » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Epic labor day!

Rocked it on the 5m all day.

Beat
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby jarch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:29 am

5m? Come on STF! I know you're a little dude, but you aren't a squirrel. Man up and put up at least a 7m! ha ha.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today