Thur 9/29 & Fri 9/30

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Thur 9/29 & Fri 9/30

Postby Like To Kite » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Hoping the forecast holds for Thursday and Friday! Most forescasts showing strong winds WNW clocking to NNW over the two days. May head to South Haven for a couple of days!

Here's a link to the South Haven spot if you need it:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.400773 ... src=6&z=16

Fingers crossed!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Re: Thur 9/29 & Fri 9/30

Postby snowball » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Deciding between michigan and wisconsin.

Wheres everyone going? I have class till 11:50 friday and then im free :)

Maybe camp out in michigan?

I got my fingers crossed too :)
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 am

forecasts change but as of now the noaa forecast for south haven is 30 to 40 knots waves up to 19 feet.

to all
think more than twice before you bite off more than you can chew
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm

HOOCHEEEMAMA.............things getting to look a bit INTENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep an eye on the progression of this system, gonna hit the lake full of Fall fury............WATCH OUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! :shock:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Like To Kite » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Too much for me and WAY WAY WAY too much for lessons on Thursday afternoon and Friday. Very advanced riders should be the only ones possibly out and using extreme caution. If you are one of those - WOW - have fun, be safe and I'd love to see some photos!

Saturday does look good for lessons along with possibly Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If the forecast holds, I think I'll head to Waukegan to teach on Saturday!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:03 pm

I'll be riding point off the pier upwind at the NW wave spot. Gonna be good!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby adseguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Im going to get a hold of "photoguy" and see if he'll snap a few pics in the cold. I'll stay REAL far out from shore for this boosting Friday coming up. Mega loops anyone :twisted:
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby snowball » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm down for friday.....We should all car pool. I think I am just going to email in my work instead of going.

Artem me and craig are probably going. Where?

Time to break out the 7's

If anyone wants to demo my 7 Rev PM me and I will bring it along (Advanced riders only).

Everyone stay safe out there. Safety first

Adrien ^ Get some picks :) I'm jealous i wish i could get out there thursday too.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby kitenick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:53 pm

I plan on being to Miller at 4:45 on Thursday and at 1:15 on Friday, unless the forecast changes considerably. Bring a small kite and a thermos of hot coco, its going to be hot on the water and cold off... jim
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Safe_Cracker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:21 pm

If I can pull it off I'll be at Miller (lake St) on Friday possibly at sun up till late afternoon or until I pass out lol.

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby IVO » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 pm

lets take a look...miller

friday...north gales to 45 kt. chance of showers through the
day. waves 12 to 16 ft.

two of the best kiters of midwest throwing words of caution..12-16Ft ..There is about half a dozen kiters who has the ability to ride,survive waves this size..

IF,IF there are actually 15FT+waves rolling down at Miller,one mistake could mean not making back to the beach.Hope some could understand this!

Great call Amanda,nothing but respect for you as always!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 am

I'm with IVO: straight onshore winds with waves of that size...mmh, you don't want to ride there.

I'm planning to go out but I will try to find a spot with side-on conditions and with waves that I can handle.

With "handle" I don't mean just riding them but more importantly being capable to body drag to my board or back to shore if I can't find it in few seconds, there will be not much time between one wave and the following one...

If I won't find the above I will be happy to just sit on the beach and watch the power of the lake.

Be safe and have fun
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:00 am

I was talking with Amanda about the conditions the other night. Crazy storm coming probably. And what bring crazy storms usually, gusty conditions. Saturday looks nice hopefully the forecast stays, and I am thinking to head to Waukegan for a early morning session, be there around 8 am and stay for 2 3 hours. Any one else wanna join for a early sat morning session?
Probably busting the EvilKneevil out again! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby West » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 am

Well, well..........here she comes a roarin', been dreaming all night while a snorin', you can bet it will be anything but borin', with all them damn waves i will be a whorin'..............

Hitting MC bout 3, gonna make a run by my favorite tree which should be startin to turn at Beverly, maybe grab a Stout and a sandwich at Shoreline.....been waiting all year for the first FALL hammer drop.........gathering the bros for the happening.......Jens cruising in from Madtown, Gregory coming from downtown, John Lynch up from the Southern cornfields, and V dropping in from his perpetual orbit......should be smooth as silk with a small swell building throughout the afternoon, i anticipate nice shoulder high waves by sunset. :) Then onto the MI side for the waiting.....

Tmrw will be on the fence as to whether or not it is ridable at all, but rest assured we will be searching near and far for the right combination of wind strength and direction and wave size and intensity!!!!!!!!

SAFETY FIRST....................should back off a bit by Saturday and could be absolutely EPIC in several locations....have fun and don't throw caution to the wind unless you got yourself a friend!!!!!!!!!

First one's for you IVO........you will be there in Spirit, Trooper!! :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:17 am

Good pts throughout the conversion and loving the play on words west. All I got to say is that anyone heading to the SW part of the lake on Friday better be wearing both boots. Pier has it right, side or side on at the very least. I’m really pleased with how the forecast is shaping up for us in Sheboygan. Wind and swell direction for us will produce smaller waves 8-12’ that will be well spaced and very clean. This is a forecast the surfers here love to see. For kiting the wind might be very gusty at the typical N-NE launch and right near the shore. We do have two spots north of town that can take a bit of west in the wind, but I don’t we will have to use them as the wind should clock more north.

I plan to get out there Friday afternoon after work and ride till dark. Forecasts are suggesting the wind will settle down a bit and be more north by that time. Packing my 5 and 8 for the day and plan to play in the good stuff.

After kiting, heading to a big Oktoberfest Street party and make it an earlier night. Going to be up with the sun on Saturday and continue to ride the front and the clean peeling waves it produces. After kiting in the am and early afternoon, I’ll take in the Brewers playoffs and then catch the Badgers/Huskers in the evening

Not a bad weekend at all!!

Best of luck to everyone and be safe out there
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:19 pm

West wrote:Well, well..........here she comes a roarin', been dreaming all night while a snorin', you can bet it will be anything but borin', with all them damn waves i will be a whorin'..............

Hitting MC bout 3, gonna make a run by my favorite tree which should be startin to turn at Beverly, maybe grab a Stout and a sandwich at Shoreline.....been waiting all year for the first FALL hammer drop.........gathering the bros for the happening.......Jens cruising in from Madtown, Gregory coming from downtown, John Lynch up from the Southern cornfields, and V dropping in from his perpetual orbit......should be smooth as silk with a small swell building throughout the afternoon, i anticipate nice shoulder high waves by sunset. :) Then onto the MI side for the waiting.....

Tmrw will be on the fence as to whether or not it is ridable at all, but rest assured we will be searching near and far for the right combination of wind strength and direction and wave size and intensity!!!!!!!!

SAFETY FIRST....................should back off a bit by Saturday and could be absolutely EPIC in several locations....have fun and don't throw caution to the wind unless you got yourself a friend!!!!!!!!!

First one's for you IVO........you will be there in Spirit, Trooper!! :wink:

Hey West, MC it is, add myself in the picture for later this afternoon, I'm planning to escape from the office soon...

I second your thoughts for our comrade IVO!

:wink:
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby STF » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Doing the longest drive to the beach on record cause I heard its gonna be good. Currently in Nebraska headed to mother m for Friday and Saturday wind. Just another 12 or so hour drive.

What's going on with IVO .....he's not quitting kiting ....is he?
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Just saying.

In Madison today, the forecast showed dark red on i-kitesurf which was in the mid to high 20's. Translated = 25mph - 35mph with gusts to 45mph.
Rode my 6m Rally and half the time I was super super lit and had to ride slow just to ride the gusts. I could hardly even walk backwards to get into the water it was so strong. I should have been on my 4.5m half the time it was so windy.

On the big lake tomorrow, the forecast shows pink and in the mid 30's. Translated = 35mph+ with gusts to 50mph+ is my guess. Add 15-20 foot waves and any shoreline without a protective jettie will have potentially deadly shorebreak.

FRIDAY
NORTHWEST GALES TO 35 KNOTS VEERING NORTH TO 30 KNOTS
IN THE AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO 50 KNOT STORMS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
WATERSPOUTS. OCCASIONAL SHOWERS. WAVES 15 TO 20 FEET.

Pier...if MC = Michigan City, I'd think twice brother. I'd head up the coast and find a jettie to ride behind to at least have half a chance to get away from shore.

4m and 5m's most likely will be the call.

Good luck everyone who goes out tomorrow and be safe.

bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Pier » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Bob,

You're right: MC = Michigan City but I was talking about today.

For tomorrow I'm not even thinking to MC. Actually I don't think I'm gonna ride anywhere if the current forecast holds...

Glad to hear that you got it good today, MC was side off by the time I got there and started to crank side on only after the storm passed, it was already dark...grr
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 pm

cool, cool...thanks for clarifying.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Next