Saturday, October 22nd

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Saturday, October 22nd

Postby Piotrek » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi all, thought I could start a new threat for riding next weekend as I just recently arrived from France and have no idea where to ride..

In fact, I have spent the whole Saturday driving around Waukegan just to find out how bad the wind conditions were.. pretty tricky area here and wind changing a lot.. If anyone lives in Chicago, let me know, will be happy to meet some new people and have a beer or two

Cheers
Piotrek
Piotrek

North Rebel 2011 black 12 & blue 9, Cabrinha Caliber + wetsuit, black helmet and/or green headscarf 8)
Piotrek
Sand Bagger

Re: Saturday, October 22nd

Postby skysurfr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm

First welcome to Chicago.

Do a bit of exploring on this site and you should be able to figure out our wind and where to go. The main page of the website (not the message board) has good links to the weather, where to ride, etc...

When the wind comes, and not that often, the posts will be here. If you need a ride or advice someone here will be able to help you out.

We usually have a few days until late November, when it starts to snow. After that its a sport for the really hard core with dry suits.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Don't forget us guys who wear wet suits Mike lol.

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Piotrek » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Mike, thanks a lot, I am really happy to have found this community !!
Let's hope for good comditions next weekend and benefit from the last few weeks before the winter (and snow) kicks in ;)
Looking forward to it !
Piotrek

North Rebel 2011 black 12 & blue 9, Cabrinha Caliber + wetsuit, black helmet and/or green headscarf 8)
Piotrek
Sand Bagger

Postby 4w7s » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:40 pm

bienvenue

If you have a vehicle and you have some time get ready to do a little driving. I suggest trying to ride on the South end of the lake or up along the Southwest coast of Michigan in the coming weeks, where you might find the best beaches, best winds, waves f you like that. Your drive from Chicago could be 1 to 3 hrs to get to the good spots.

Get in phase with the weather forecasts and then control your own destiny. I believe there is a list of spots with directions on this forum somewhere - have a look.

Don't give too much credence to the TV forecasts as they are too general and not focused on what we do so much.

The forecasts can change over a matter of hours and often they are not that accurate, but with a little work, a little local knowledge from others, allowing enough time to get to the launch spot you will do OK. Obviously wind direction and beach orientation/access is critical. The wind can be stronger in one place and weaker in another place even with only 20 miles between.

As skysurfer mentioned we are coming close to the end of the season for most people. The water temperatures can drop very quickly in the next few weeks and the air will certainly get much colder. Make sure you have the proper wetsuit. We have been enjoying "Indian SUmmer" for the last 3 weeks, but that is likely to change in the next few days.

bon chance

Here are a few links to weather info that you can start studying: (you can modify the locations where applicable)

https://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere. ... iteID=1955

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... &dd=0&bw=0

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... &dd=0&bw=0

https://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere. ... n=Gmap+Obs

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/centgrtlakes_loop.php

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=lm&p=a&m=wh
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Ah..le week-end. Le vent souffle jamais! Zut alors! :)

J'espere dieu va venir a notre aide! A bientot au plage
V
Unstrapped!

Postby gbleck » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:45 pm

This Saturday looks like a SUP day on sailflow. :) Not that it matters much as I have to work.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby V » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:25 pm

Yea, no wind. Oh well...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Piotrek » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Oui, c'est mort ce weekend... keep fingers crossed though for a last minute change ;)
Thanks for all the hints, see soon you at the beach!
Piotrek

Piotrek
Sand Bagger

Return to Where to Ride Today