South Shore Kitesurfing Trip

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

South Shore Kitesurfing Trip

Postby Ripshade » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 am

Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Re: South Shore Kitesurfing Trip

Postby West » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:22 am

Looks awesome guys........gotta love the color of the water and the shape of the waves...........KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby rjajr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 am

Sherriff and the crew, looks like a drive well worth the effort. Very cool, bet you boys are worn out. Great shots thanks for sharing.

Bob
Bob
rjajr
Board Monkey

Postby STF » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Sweet Superior!

those photos are Rad!

Big Stuff
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby grimace » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Awesome photos! is there any videos of the trip? Where about was this on Lake Superior?
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Northerner » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Pictures where taken in Au Train Bay, 20 minutes west of Munising. Wind was to strong in Grand Marais so we went west to find some ridable conditions. I remembered the spot from last years trip up there and thought that it would give us some shelter from the 45-60 mph winds. Waves were steep and full on, I would say a true 12-18, not a Lake Michigan 12-18. We'll get a write up of the trip up soon, lots of info to share.

Great pics Ryan, Sam and Joe. It was great riding with ya
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Amazing photos guys..Loved the size,you can tell how much velocity and how powerfull they are by those colors.I was really not optimistic that you gonna get any ride in on Saturday(60+ wind),but you did find the way!!Cant wait to hear all those stories around beer :wink:

Northerner wrote: Waves were steep and full on, I would say a true 12-18, not a Lake Michigan 12-18.

Wow Sheriff,I cant wait to see those pic or some footage of that.I do remember that true 4-6f hawaiian forecast produce double head++ high swell without any problem.8f at Ho'okipa was serious action,on 12-15+ feet I would go watch Peahi(Jaws) and when the forecast showing real 20f+ waves they start preparation for Eddie Aikau Big Wave contest.Although that,if my memory serves right must be at least 25f+ swell to honor "EDDIE WOULD GO".
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:41 am

I'm not trying to rate the waves on Superior to Hawaiian standards as I really don't understand how to measure with their system. I know its back side but Ok.... I have fished commercially on the Bering sea and was a deck hand on the GL freighters and I have never seen a 4 ft overhead wave. I was going off of the NOAA system making a head high wave six feet. I just started to the get the feeling that people were calling a old Chevy a brand new diesel Jetta in terms of wave size down south. One thing I realized after looking at the pictures a few times was that in almost all of them you can't see the bottom of the waves we are riding on as the wave breaking before that blocks the view of the bottom.

Looking forward to more waves tomorrow and Thursday
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Ripshade » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 am

Andrew, that was a great trip!

I'm working on the video footage and hope to have something in a week or two.

Those waves were big and powerful. I'm continually humbled by nature. Love and respect every second of it.
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Postby West » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 am

an old Chevy or a brand new diesel Jetta, what is a Jetta? Is that something out of a Star Trek movie, maybe the spacecraft they use to hit hyperspace?..........what are you talking about Sheriffffff.....are you building a car with the school kids to race at the soapbox derby? Is this about fuel efficiency, so that when you gas up your car to venture forth from Shesablowin', that it will get a bit further down the road? do tell......i am having a hard time following you on this one.........

Hawaiian measurements on waves is as so: it is measured from the backside, as a surfer in the water would see as the wave passes, and then minimized a bit....basically about half the size of the face then downgraded, so as to humble the haoles who are visiting from the mainland......ex: a 20 ft face on a wave in Hawaii would be called 8 ft by a local, a visiting surfer from Califorinia might call the same wave 25 ft........haoles have a tendency to exaggerate, and hawaiians have a tendency to minimize for effect; basically the opposite of "boasting"............bragging about the size of the waves you ride is "taboo" in Hawaii; cause every surfer knows that their time to get pummeled is always coming, just over the horizon!!

looking forward to the video footage Ryan, the shots are awesome, those of the sunset are ALL-TIME!! :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby JDL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Very cool pictures.

Thank you for posting.
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Jack Roberts will tell ya how big those waves were.
Joey
Board Monkey

Postby rjajr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 am

Are we now debating size on this forum? Is this going to lead to why some wear shorts over their wetsuit? :wink: Regardless thanks for the scouting trip, always good to know there are more spots out there to be explored.

Bob
Bob
rjajr
Board Monkey

Return to Pictures and Videos