Wednesday 26 0CT - Waukegan?

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Wednesday 26 0CT - Waukegan?

Postby Artem » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 pm

I was out for a couple of hours to at waukegan. It was good behind the jetty but a bit gusty. The last hour that I was out some beginner on a bright green cabrinha nomad went passed the first break wall and fell. I retrieved his board for him thinking that he'll just head in and get to the beach between the two jetties where I was riding. He tacked in and then began going out again. I don't know what he was thinking but the next tack coming in he was coming in past the green light house. Then he tacks out AGAIN and went really far offshore where I saw his kite go down. I kited over to him were I retrieved his board again. I yelled to go to shore before he went too downwind where the beach past the harbor becomes just rocky and super sketchy. Keep in mind that we are roughly 1.5 miles offshore. As I was yelling this to him he dove the kite and went over the board and dropped his kite again. I retrieved his board once again. This time he actually started to just tack in. The wind in that region is very very bad and his kite went down and that was when I had to tack back upwind because there was no way I could have helped him where he was. But his kite was still like at least 3/4 mile off shore just kind of drifting when I was tacking upwind. I got to the beach and saw that Ivo had seen this guy too and he went in his car to go get him. I had to quickly pack up and leave to go to class. I just want to make sure that that guy made it in.

On another note to all beginners,
Please don't go out unless you are 100% confident in your abilities to get back. It's getting late in the season where the water and the air temperatures are pretty dangerous if you spend substantial time swimming. Also dress accordingly too don't just prepare yourself for an hour session. Wear all your warm gear to make sure if your swimming in that you'll make it and be toasty while your doing it.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby STF » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Nice on your part...

not a smart guy you helped
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby West » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm

good job Artem, way to lend a helping hand....great advice as well!!

Ivo tracked him down, and gave him a hand landing his kite...unfortunate that he found himself in that situation, rather irresponsible...I believe he ended up losing his board, maybe Ivo will straighten the story out.........lucky thing that he made it to shore, as those familiar with Waukegan know, you have to come right in if you ever go down wind of the jetties, it just makes a bad situation worse if you continue to try and tack up, the wind gets fluky and the shoreline more rocky the farther downwind you get.............just glad he made it back safely; a lesson for all of us, that's for sure!!

You da man Ivo, don't call you TROOPER for nothing........sacrificing a sesh in order to help a kiter you don't even know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby gbleck » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I picked him up at the spot that was the old foundry. I had forgoton the large number of matresses on that "road". Who hasn't made a woops on a north at Waukegan at one time or another.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby IVO » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeh I tracked him down,never saw a kite from 120street in the air before,driving over bridge to keegs.I got his kite down few miles from harbor.

The worst part was that I had no idea who he is,what is his experience and how long he is already in the water.He was trying to get in near that factory,but his kite went down and his sight as well.There was no clear view or entry to water, was just about to call coast guard,when I saw his kite up again few hundred feet downwind.After that was easy.

Happily ever after I told him my piece and went off .He told me someone gonna pick him up :?

I have only few stuff to add..

Security guy from harbor(I quess)already called police and coast guard which I told him to cancel when he run to me asking about that kiter.Thinking about that later if anything would go wrong the guy would be dead before anybody would even got to him.Was kinda surprise to not seen someone from Keegs to handle this wayyy earlier.Rule number one,always kite with a buddy who isnt gonna let you go down!!!!!!!!!!

Story how to get into to factory after got told "no trespass" I'll share around beer.

half day off,missed my window for downwinder..I say if they are nuts,let them....... 8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby schuss8899 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:52 am

Gee, that guy needs to get back in line for some more brain matter. He will learn one day and hopefully it will not be with his life. Maybe this event has improved his cognitive abilities some. Most beginners have a little bit more appreciation for nature.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:16 am

we all mistakes....that much we can take for granted..........however, some mistakes can prove to be more costly than others.....COLD water is serious!!!! I will not go into the dangers involved and the list of errors in this situation, most are very apparent........but I will remind everyone that the "whole ballgame" changes once the water temps start dropping, and that has happened, so kite safely and kite with a buddy; BUT realize that there are times when noone can do a damn thing for you.....make wise decisive choices, and learn from your mistakes!!

It is never a good thing to have the police and the coast guard involved in kiting incidents, we need to take care of "our own" and be vigilant.........

Glad you are OK "mystery" kiter, and take no offense to the comments you have prompted......just view it as EDUCATION, and be thankful!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby gbleck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Yea his buddy was coming down with his truck. I just got to him first. Also made sure the Waukegan harbour office knew he was ok. I think some one had called them. They had seen him come in ok.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby JDL » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Typical Ivo.

Integrity in spades.
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby schuss8899 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Sometimes a little confidence can be a terrible thing. Error on the side of caution in the autumn air.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:05 am

Worse thing about it was he was teaching a student( red kite) and not starting him far enough upwind of the regular riders. I've never seen him before definitely not a local. I don't mind newbie ryders but heck hard to enjoy yourself when your constantly worrying if someone gonna kill themselves or others!

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today