Sun 11/6 Keegs Throw Down!

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Sun 11/6 Keegs Throw Down!

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Hopin' for a repeat of last Sunday @ Keegs... anyone else with the same yearning?!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Sun 11/6 Keegs Throw Down!

Postby FSP » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 pm

no not me. too cold, too gusty..no fun.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I noticed the "Throw down" you put in lol. Come venture out of your comfort zone and come to Wolf lake for once. Try it out, at worst you'll have some fun and get on camera.

By all means though it'll be fun @ Waukegan, I'm just trying to get people to venture out, try some tricks and get a different vibe they aren't used to.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:35 pm

adseguy wrote:I noticed the "Throw down" you put in lol.
:wink:

Come venture out of your comfort zone and come to Wolf lake for once. Try it out, at worst you'll have some fun and get on camera.

By all means though it'll be fun @ Waukegan, I'm just trying to get people to venture out, try some tricks and get a different vibe they aren't used to.

Ok, give it straight to us uninitiated Wolf Lakers, including myself, about what to expect there. A lot has been posted about that spot and how sketchy it can be especially for beginners. Power lines, sketchy and small launch area, trees & obstacles, gusty winds, killer seaweed, glass & discarded hypodermic needles at bottom. We wouldn't want a bunch of kiters showing up there and only to find the spot over their ability.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Agreed,

You gotta know how to confidently go upwind. Gusty? Mmmm no more then Madison, WI especially on a straight south that leans a tad SSW. Definitely less gusty then Waukegan when it's SSW-SW

As far as the nastiness. To each there own. The summer time heats the water up and you can smell "organic" material. Some people think it's disgusting, a human evolution thing we picked up to avoid swamp bogs and other hazardous areas. No such hazards or even smell this time of year. Yes, people have cut there feet. Not sure about hypodermic needles there, but only a few have cut there feet. I've been going on 3 years there with no booties when the weather calls for it and I never have cut myself. I also don't take my board off or walk very far in the shallows. We'll be wearing booties so risk is much less.

Power lines are at the VERY end of the lake and you really won't be riding there anyway. Trees and lamp posts are available at the launch, but otherwise it's like any other lake. You'll need a hand to launch and land unless you drift it. That's it really. The advantages flat water and slicks are awesome IMO.

I know I'm being pushy for people to get out here, but I feel sometimes the forum isn't used for get-togethers as much as it should. People just stick to their routine spots and text between themselves where they are going. Nothing wrong with those two things at all, but I think a little variety and fun can make the kiting experience better once in a while. I always have a good time when we meetup in Waukegan for a kite swap or down @ Miller for the awesome West wind days in the summer. I'm just trying something a little different with some slick riding, new area for some, and video footage right in the action.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Nice little review Adrien... appreciated! Makes it sound much nicer. And I'll bet the air & water temps will be warmer tomorrow than at Keegs. About how many riders on the water at once before it starts getting a little crowded?
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't think we'll hit that level, it's not that small of a lake. There will be more windsurfers then kiters for sure. The slicks can get crowded with more then 3-4 people running a circuit.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. Breezy, with a south southwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Source: NOAA.com

Wunderground.com:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... egan%2C+IL

All is saying SSW isn't that slight off shore at Waukegan?
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:31 pm

ikitesurf shows S until 2p now before it shifts SW. Forecasted straight S until 5p earlier today... hmmmm.

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=142&siteID=2020&Isection=Forecast+Graphs
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby lebeda12345 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:56 am

I will be at waukegan around 9 - 9 30. It's 20 south already. It will be one of the last warm days...
Peter
lebeda12345
Pump Master

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:12 am

I wished I could but my body is done from yesterday. I saw the sun rise and sun set and still couldn't get off the water til I could no longer hold my bar or pickup my board. I have seen just because it is forecasted doesn't mean it will happen. chances are it will be S and switch to SSW where because of the shape of keegs is still slightly on shore. have fun, get them waves for me!!!

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby FSP » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:34 pm

love coming around the bend at waukeegan to see all who i know and what size i will be rigging before even parking. short drive, one kite and on the water. might have been slavi catching my eye firing down the line on what was a really nice long consistent break going on just down from the pier. like how that holds up so long through there. just like last sun-powerful airs and quality wave action. nice warm water to boot.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby slavman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Keegs was fun today, playful waves. Adrien, sorry we didn't make it to Wolf but my brave girlfriend had to practice her waters starts (in her 3/2 wetsuit...). Keegs was safer for her. It was great to see everyone having fun. Who's nickname is FSP? Curious how Ivo did in Twin Rivers?
can we squeeze out anything more out of this season?
best to everyone
sl
slavman
Kite Crew in Training

Postby jensmadwind » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:43 am

FSP= Scotty G

Ivo did just fine in Two Rivers
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 pm

slavman wrote:Keegs was fun today, playful waves. Adrien, sorry we didn't make it to Wolf but my brave girlfriend had to practice her waters starts (in her 3/2 wetsuit...). Keegs was safer for her. It was great to see everyone having fun. Who's nickname is FSP? Curious how Ivo did in Twin Rivers?
can we squeeze out anything more out of this season?
best to everyone
sl

And I was just telling everyone yesterday,that you were looking to come to Sheboygan although you had only morning and some available and you go out and shoot yourself into own foot here,priceless :lol:

Two rivers were good,first time there,downwinder with Sherifff,Jens and Greg,head-head and half top..

I thought I capture good size salmon when taking pictures,it turned to be just potatoes..Nice sunset,but light just wasnt strong enough,had to flush 2/3 of pictures right off the bat..Will try my best to get some pictures up in mid week,but again guys dont except much!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today