Wetsuit Recommendations

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Wetsuit Recommendations

Postby 4w7s » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm

It's so funny that some people really think that a good price means something is "cheaper" quality. This is usually what the sales people of some brands might want you to believe when you wonder why one suit with similar specs costs $150-$200 more than another. Usually the more expensive brands are allocating some of the costs to massive advert campaigns and sponsorships so no real addition to value to the end user. Hyperflex is pretty low key with their advertising and sponsorships and they focus on doing big volumes to keep costs down. That's just good business and consumer friendly. So the cliche 'you get what you pay for" is not always true with many things IMO. I am certainly not saying all inexpensive suits are good...but in the case of Hyperflex it's pretty hard to beat them for price and quality. I'm sure that there are other good brands out there too.

Hyperflex has several different models (just like most other brands do) and the low price models have glued stitched seams and no tape and the better models have blind-stitched, glued and taped seams. I personaly would never buy a cold water suit without glued/taped seams. I have an Amp suit, bit I'm not sure if the Flow is also a glued/taped suit. If i was kiting in warm water and air all the time I'd defo go for the cheaper suits because I wouldn't need the warmth factor and they are 1/2 the price. Plus a non-taped suit has a little better stretch to it.

Of course most better quality suits from all brands use a combination of super stretch and normal neoprene for warmth ad durability. In some panels you don't need stretchiness and in others you do. If a suit was completely made out of stretchy material it might be too stretchy and not fit tightly where it needs to and sacrificing warmth too.
e.g.
In my own 6.5.4 Hyperflex the only panels that are smooth skin/less stretch neopreen are the chest and rear torso and also the hood top all of which have the polyolefin lining (another reason for using a different neoprene in those areas - the neck area has stretchy neoprene for obvious reasons) - same case is with my 3.2 non-hooded Hyperflex. All other areas that need strecth for mobility and comfort are super stretch.

There has been some mention of wearing hotskins and the like uder a wetsuit. I reckon it might increase warmth a little bit, but I don't like garments between me and the suit...if things get bunched up it reduces comfort. But to each his on on that issue.

The nice thing about the front entry suit is that there is an extra water "dam" in the neck/shoulders and the pullover collar overlaps generously, plus a drawstring there to gasket even further. The oriface on the hood also has a drawstring and smoothskin neoprene that nicely seals around your face. To me this feature is crucial in cold weather/big wave/big wind conditions

btw...I have no financial interest in Hyperflex, but I've been so happy with their suits that I don't mind being vocal about it.
Last edited by 4w7s on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:49 pm

FSP wrote:safe cracker: with all do respect, by flushing i mean in waves much bigger than what you get at waukeegan or skimming the shore at miller. bigger waves will fill that flimsy hood in a heartbeat if you go down or get rolled hard in the turbulence by a chunky outside wave. they put a draw string on every surfing suit hood per every manufacture for this reason btw! surfing suits in 6/5/4 will also have lots of 6 mil neoprene to help float you

as for the cheaper suits (hyperflex). they say they use less of the premium neoprene, more stitched panels, more seams in places that restrict you, and less attention to detail in wrist, ankle, zip designs and fit options comparably.

i have had them all from windsurfing to surfing to kiting and if you tested it then great but if not and find yourself flushed with a kite down or happen to be cold and swimming due to a nice surprise, you will only wish you thought about the small things.

Although I recommend my 6/5/4 Zealot to a lot of friends after just recently I have to take side with Scotty on this.You told about this before I bought mine,that it could be a problem and you were right.I loved how that wetsuit is warm,but I didnt used hood before and last two session made me rethink my stance.The guy who designed that hood must have been crazy.If Im buying 6/5/4 that means Im looking to ride in extreme conditions plus the price tag on wastnt cheap,I was really counting on quality,but that neck design is so poor..Simple velcro around the neck,would probably solve the flushing,no idea why they design that like this..I spend most of day yesterday on twintip and didnt get water in at all,but that quickly change once I switch at the end of a day for surfboard.Couple good wipeouts and I got a lot of water in.Not a issue yesterday,since it wasnt cold,but I couldnt imagine to got flushed like this in late November,December..For toying around this wetsuit will keep you warm,but if you gonna go out on some big stuff you need to secure neck area somehow.

V if I were you,I'll look elswhere...just my two cents
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 am

Hey Guys...as a dealer for NPX, I appreciate any and all feedback especially if there's a way to improve the product. IVO...I agree that any 6/5/4 suit can and will be used when it's cold and needs to keep flushing to a minimum. I'll pass this thread on to my contacts at NPX and will post any replies.

A lot of you have bought these suits from me, so I take it as serious as you guys do and will see what if any suggestions NPX may have.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:05 am

Email sent.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:20 am

Curious, all the people having problems with excessive flushing are you absolutely sure it was fitted correctly? All wetsuits can and will flush but can be controlled with proper fit. My suit fits so snug around my neck unless I pulled it away from the area I get no water down it and I ride mostly with my Hood down. Skimming?? Really?? I'm the only one I know who jumps off the end of the Jetty (getty) in 30++ knots to retrieve his board on a true Keegan NE lol oh and that's with no extra floatation either. ;)

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby FSP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

Safe cracker: Yes you may be hardcore and your suit is working for whatever your doing by swimming off a pier however that is still much different than getting rolled in surf with lots of turbulence or getting splat on big tricks gone-trust me!!! The suit fits perfect and i know how to tuck all the parts in, but putting that suit to the test will not endure what it needs to.

I am just pissed because this suit is billed by many so called "Experts" and people on this forum as a "KITING" suit for "Cold Water" and I had to turnaround and go buy another. I asked tons of questions before buying but got nothing other than its the best!!! There is no policy for sending it back after used once. For the price it costs and how they promote it, the suit is highly exaggerated and 100% dangerous if its cold and you take a big spill. Hey this could be your life and I know of 2 people who have died in the past due to improper dressing for cold mid-west conditions-I hope i am only helping someone out here.

Its nice Bob will give NP feedback to help them try again, but really i dont care to help them with such a big miss when they have had time in watersports to make a good product for what they say it should be. If the suit is working for you then great, but now 2 people just on this small thread have had issues, so heed warning.

I tried a kite suit based on the hype and now back to a surfing suit as before. Oneil, Ripcurl Excel, Hotline and Quicksilver have been around the longest with the most R@D power. I would go to new buffalo to THirdcoast surfshop and try one on to get all fit and design aspects right.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Anyhoo.... Hey who's gonna kite with me through Dec before the ice flows come in, skimming season lmfao?? I can teach y'all how to Getty dive. :)

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Herbie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:18 pm

"Aquavents – a water venting system in the ankles that releases water caught in the suit"
At least the NPX suit has Aquavents to release all the water that flushes in :lol:

A second O'neill suit I have also has aquavents.

Seriously they do work nice, no water ballooning around the ankles. Since I will eventually be heading towards one of the surfing suites mentioned above, do you guys get water ballooning around the ankles, from water shooting up the ankle cuff? Seems like before I had aquavents in a suit, not matter if I had no booties, or booties either under or over the ankle cuff, the water would shoot up and stay there. Any comments or help?
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby 4w7s » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:26 pm

If your suit flushes excessively from the top then you have a fundamental problem with the suit - either bad fit or bad design. This should be the first problem you try to solve.

Some brands have an ankle flush system (e.g. more recent Hyperflex suits has "Aqua Vent Drain System" on some of their suits) but I think the focus should be on having a properly fitted/properly designed suit that does not lead to a lot of flushing and require draining.

The other reason you want a cold water suit to seal nicely at all openings is that you may likely be wearing booties - which will exacerbate the water balloon in your legs if water is entering from the top of the suit.

I wear booties fairly often, even with my 3.2 suit in warmer weather, to eliminate the water shooting up the leg phenomenon ( I wear the high top models with the boot pulled over the ankle cuffs - surfers might reverse this though). If I don't wear booties I try to remember the tape trick mentioned above. My Hyperflex suits are earlier models to the ones that have the ADS system so I don't really know how well they work. I usually just reach down and stretch the ankle cuff to drain my leg if I feel like I'm bloating down there.

If you are riding barefoot it is normal for water to shoot up your leg. Super stretch neoprene only adds to this problem. You need to use some ankle straps to stem the flow up the leg...or you can also use some electrical tape (just 2 wraps -not too tight -so it still stretches a little)...but if your suit is shipping water from the neck or arms area you will still have a problem and will turn into "balloon boy".
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

Okay Hyperflex Flow owners, I'm 90% there, but the size chart has me worried. The XL-Long:

http://hyperflexusa.com/size-chart/

Chest: 42-44 - check, I'm good with that
Height: 6'2" - check, I'm 6'2"
Weight: 195-215lbs - I'm on the small size 195lbs...hmm
Waist: 37-39in - ouch, I'm a 32in waist and the photo on the website looks a little wide in the midsection.

Any comments from you guys on the waist fit of this suit? 5-7 inches of extra material is a huge gap.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby 4w7s » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:49 am

V wrote:Okay Hyperflex Flow owners, I'm 90% there, but the size chart has me worried. The XL-Long:

http://hyperflexusa.com/size-chart/

Chest: 42-44 - check, I'm good with that
Height: 6'2" - check, I'm 6'2"
Weight: 195-215lbs - I'm on the small size 195lbs...hmm
Waist: 37-39in - ouch, I'm a 32in waist and the photo on the website looks a little wide in the midsection.

Any comments from you guys on the waist fit of this suit? 5-7 inches of extra material is a huge gap.

V,

call Mark Kuban and get his advice. He's probably close to your size and he knows the product real well. He rides with the H-flex suits himself. btw Dimitri M is also a team rider.

I think Mark Kuban is on this forum as "Hammer" or reach him thru Motor City Kiteboarding
or ring 586.943.5172
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Bob wrote:Hey Guys...as a dealer for NPX, I appreciate any and all feedback especially if there's a way to improve the product. IVO...I agree that any 6/5/4 suit can and will be used when it's cold and needs to keep flushing to a minimum. I'll pass this thread on to my contacts at NPX and will post any replies.

A lot of you have bought these suits from me, so I take it as serious as you guys do and will see what if any suggestions NPX may have.

Bob

Thanks Bob..

I think that the problem lies in who and how this wetsuit will be used.I could see how this wetsuit wont work for Scotty and on other hand it could work for someone else.In no way trying to say who is better rider,but again for "toying" around this suit would be awesome in cold weather,but I couldnt imagine getting wipeout in december on some big stuff.

When I was looking to buy this suit,my requirement was very simple.Have a suit(6/5/4) to support me when I go out ride waves.When the water is cold,I learned to stay more caution,there are a lot of things which could go wrong and to think if Im gonna get flushed or not should be my least worry.As of now that hood design wont support me,but limited me at best.

Im kinda shaking my head on this,since NPX isnt a start up company and should know better than this.I should have more rely on Scotty experience before buying it,rather than advertisements..

Im sorry for giving it bad review,but it is what it is and thats my opinion.

As same as Scotty Im not a happy camper, probably gonna eat this loss and buy new suit in Spring.
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:43 am

Well guys i decided to get the hyperflex from hammer and a set of 5mm booties. I'll let you all know what's up after i ride it some. I'm sure it will be warmer than my promotion that is a 5/3mm since this is a 6/5/4 with hood but it will be an interesting compare. Damnit i missed epic winds last weekend but hopefully the suit extends my riding.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby West » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 am

Aw yeah buddy, ready to go now..........just don't leave your damn booties at home. You gonna like that built in hood!!!!! And just remember tht if you get cold out there, you can always resort to "instant Warmth" :), if you know what I mean..........See you at the Rivermouth Captain.
West
Wind Whore

Postby V » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Ahh yea bro! I just tried on the suit after finally getting back in town and pickin it up from the office today, fits perfect. Booties are a bit narrow but i fit in em. Besides my feet so big n wide sometimes i wonder why i even need a kiteboard! :-)
V
Unstrapped!

Postby 4w7s » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 pm

V wrote:Ahh yea bro! I just tried on the suit after finally getting back in town and pickin it up from the office today, fits perfect. Booties are a bit narrow but i fit in em. Besides my feet so big n wide sometimes i wonder why i even need a kiteboard! :-)

Been wearing my Amp 6.5.4 last few days with 46-48f water...no problemo

Looks like Thursday and Friday are going to be good if you can break out of Thanksgiving Day events.

My 5/3 booties are snug too, but the are super warm. I use a length of rope threaded thru the webbing tab on the heel to help them on. That little tab is a wee bit small to get a good grip with one finger.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Bolt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 pm

HOTLINE 5/4 with hood and front zip entry....will never buy a different suit......swear by it!!!

Yeah buddy! Warm and Durable! I spend well over 100 days in my suit every year. One of my Hotline suits is 3 years old and still works great! They just changed their material, now the 5/4 is extra toasty. http://www.hotlineonline.com/product/ta ... fault.aspx
Bolt
Kite Crew in Training

Postby West » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:04 am

Out of the vapor, comes the bolt..........been talkin' bout you buddy........Fall is the time we hit Holland with regularity, never a sesh passes in that area that your name doesn't surface. Been getting the sweet downwinders all around there this year, just insane....passing by your family's place by the pier at PS!!! Hoeksma and I were talking about you the other day when there was some ice lacing the North side of the pier at Ferrysberg....the kid there, Chris is launching off the pier, and grinding the ice on occasion.....imagine that Captain?

Yeah, my Hotline of 4 years has a few holes in it, and I am due for a new suit...glad to hear that they have made 'em even better, though it is hard to believe....look forward to getting a new one this Spring! I am used to the front-zip, how is it getting out of this model?

Had a buddy who I windsurfed with on Maui for years want to take up kiting; he heard that Floras Lake was a great place to learn....told him I knew a helluva instructor there...will give you a heads up when he is ready!!! Heard you were heading to SLC to snowkite, Dave Clarke said he was gonna meet up with you up there......keep on keeepin on.......holiday cheers to you buddy. :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby Bolt » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 pm

West!!! Thanks for the stoke my man! Good to hear you and the crew are still keeping it unreal! Chris is a good kiter, I expect good things to come from that kid. I swear the Great Lakes kiters are more hardcore and have more fun then most! Everyone around here (including me) was bitching the other day when the ocean temp was 40 :oops:

The Reflex is easy to get in and out of, I haven't tried the ultra hot combo zipper but most kiters prefer the reflex style entry.

Headed to Utah soon, going to run the snowkite center at Powder Mountain again, excited but so far Utah is lacking the snow.
You guys gotta get out to Oregon for a brokite demo tour next year and I'll show you a good time! Take care!
Bolt
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Herbie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:23 pm

V.
How about a report on your new suit. The good and the bad...
My NPX with the auto flush, is going to have to be replaced.

Herbie

V wrote:Ahh yea bro! I just tried on the suit after finally getting back in town and pickin it up from the office today, fits perfect. Booties are a bit narrow but i fit in em. Besides my feet so big n wide sometimes i wonder why i even need a kiteboard! :-)
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum