Snowkiting events

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Snowkiting events

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:03 pm

So for all our riders who like to go out in the winter first I want to make an announcement about one of the big events:
Sturgeon Stampede is according this website http://www.eventcrazy.com/Fond-du-Lac-WI/events/details/238687-Sturgeon-Stampede The 2nd weekend of February 2012. I am keeping a spot open in my agenda to visit this crazynes. After seeing the video from last years looks like a great place to be!

Second one my personal event:

The idea of King of Grasslake is to have a great day, swap gear, hang on new gear, do some jumps and enjoy. Grass lake might not have the best ever snow conditions but for me, and probably many others last season, was a lot of fun out there. I am building a small ramp that will be small enough and portable to haul with me to grass lake for the crazy jumping people (or just who wants to try it for once).
People who want to participate in making this day in something that might can come back every year please drop me a PM or send me an email.

Please share idea's about this, the event is more a get together then a competitive event. We'll see how it will turn out this year. I don't want to set a date yet because I dont wanna interfere with the Stampede and other events that might happen this winter. I was planning around February or beginning of March.

Please fire off idea's. Don't stay in your comfy zone and "just read" what the people are doing bring out your idea's as well and like I said before maybe we can turn this in to something yearly!

Looking forward to your comments
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: Snowkiting events

Postby WAK Jason » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 pm

The 2012 Stampede will be held Feb. 10-12. Friday (10th) is final set-up, ramp testing, freeride, and pre-party! Saturday (11th) is the big event day if the wind cooperates. Sunday is the back up wind day and other events will also be scheduled this day. I will post more info once we have the details worked out!

Here is a post to the Kiteriders forum. Karl recently posted a great video on some of the winter kiting action from the Madison crew last winter. It has some great footage from the 2011 Stampede in it. It definitely got me pumped up for the upcoming winter season! Thanks again and nice work on the video Karl!!

http://www.kiteridersllc.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=2108
Last edited by WAK Jason on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby dbur » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:57 pm

i'm in for both
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

dutch,

If we do our event again this year, it will be the 3rd or 4th weekend in Feb. Would be cool to coordinate the dates so they don't conflict.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:55 am

Bob, you are the first weekend of February, the Stampede the 2nd weekend AWESOME. Lets keep the flow going and Ill put it down for the 3rd weekend of February (Feb 18 or 19!).

Looking forward to have a great time on grass lake and the Stampede! More information about the King of Grass lake will follow soon as I have a little time spot left!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:14 am

no...first weekend in Feb doesn't work. We usually do 3rd or 4th weekend. Depending on the year, early Feb may have too thin of ice. We used to do Kites on ice which was a huge on ice kite festival in madison and it was always first weekend in Feb and half the time, we would have subpar ice. That being said, I'm not 100% sure we're going to do an event this year. Need to meet with my crew to talk further.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby WAK Jason » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Just wanted to share a poster for our upcoming event in February! Now let's hope we start getting some snow!
http://wakkiteboarding.com/Events/Webpage%20Events.html
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby gbleck » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Is Grass Lake solid yet?
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't believe that Grass lake is solid yet. All the small ponds around my place are still open as well. Think we need to be really patience :shock:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby dbur » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 am

just do regular kiting, it will be 50F tomorrow and Wed
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby gbleck » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am

I have yet to get a session on my snow board. All last season the days I had off with snow the wind would die after I got the kite out and set up. On the plus side we can still just ride in the water.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby WAK Jason » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm

I hope you are feeling "the need to stampede"!! Here's the link to the 2012 Sturgeon Stampede entry form! Can't wait to ride with everyone!!

http://wakkiteboarding.com/Stampede%20K ... 202012.jpg

To register, please mail fee and entry form to:

Don Altmeyer
N8692 Sylvan Bay Road
Fond du Lac, WI 54935

Any questions, e-mail info@wakkiteboarding.com or call Jason @ (920)948-7234 or Dan @ (920)960-9676!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:17 am

I will be driving up to that for sure! Looking forward to get some snowkiting going. Would some one be able to post a Google maps link of where to go? I tried to map it but couldn't find the place.

Thanks!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby WAK Jason » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Here is the launches map from our website. If you drive a 1/4 mile out on the ice road from the Fisherman's Road boat landing, that is where we will be. You will definitely be able to see us as you are driving north on 151 though. If you need any more help, let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200 ... 7c18&msa=0
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the maps got it book marked. I hope the Ice up there will be better than around here. I will be driving up, Sunday the 12th. If any one wants to share the ride up let me know.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby WAK Jason » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Keep praying for colder weather, snow and wind!!We rode this past weekend and it was alright, but after today the snow layer is getting pretty thin. We could definitely use some actual winter weather like a big snowstorm!!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby beetlehead » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Does anyone know if the lake is frozen enough to bring the snowbuggy?
Will there be any kiting going on outside of "The Classic"?
Tim - Lafayette, IN
AWS-Certified Welding Inspector
Welding Educator-Ivy Tech Lafayette
4 & 6M Ozone foil, 9M, 13, 20.5 Slingshot, Liquid Force Mission 144 / GoPro Cameras!
(Granddaughter (Kat) flys 2M Trainer with Best Harness)
beetlehead
Chop Wrestler

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Doesnt look good at all. Its warming up a lot! Think ice will be way to thin!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby t bagger bob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Lake Winnebago is still frozen solid. We just put the WAK-shack out on the lake and the ice is 12 inches thick.
Some people are driving cars on it, but not wise. Plenty of ice for snowmobiles/4wheelers and humans riding
all kinds of wind driven fun.
The Sturgeon Stampede Winter Kiteboarding Classic will ...... of course, stampede on!
If no snow, alternate activities include, wake skate ( windsurf on a bladed boards, we have extra), beer, ice skating,
ice bowling, beer, STURG-O-RAMA, sturgeon queen contest, minnow shots, music, bon fire, lots of food, and of course,
beer. A big party and everyone is invited.
beetlehead, plenty of ice for your snowbuggy. Also plenty of wide open ice to be as close or far away from "The Classic" as you want.
All we need now is the snow. We`ve been in this spot before and scored the 4 inch snowfall the day before the event,
so, pray, dance, or shake rocks (maybe this only works for the wind) for snow.
Updates on conditions coming up just before the whole party starts.

tbb
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:18 pm

keep up posted! if the conditions will let us Ill be driving up Sunday
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Next

Return to Open Forum