michigan kiter hurt at south padre island texas

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

michigan kiter hurt at south padre island texas

Postby rustyb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Loyd Mays of michigan was found face down in the water unconscious at the flats sunday by another kitesurfer. The full story can be read at the LAKAWA KITESURFING FORUM web site. He is in the hospital ,condition unknown.
" If it cant kill ya, its not a sport."
rustyb
Kite Crew in Training

Re: Michigan kiter hurt at south padre island Texas

Postby ironben » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 am

link
http://www.lakawa.com/post56672.html#p56672
said story, but i am glad to hear that he start to breath again and spoke his name.
hope things will get better. he got a second chance in live. wow!
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Re: michigan kiter hurt at south padre island texas

Postby adseguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:08 am

Wow. Good to know we look out for each other a lot.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 am

Is this Lloyd Main from Kalamazoo? This is horrible!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby rustyb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am

He is okay. He posted on mackite from his hospital bed.
" If it cant kill ya, its not a sport."
rustyb
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

I read that story a couple days ago on Lakawa and it's an incredible thing that Mark did to save his life. Mark saved his life. It says a lot about the type of person he is to check on him in the first place.

Too many times I see people not pay attention to others and it's really frustrating. I can't say how many times I'll check on someone and they will say that others just passed by and didn't even offer a hand, etc. At a Target store in VA, an older customer died while others just walked right on by and even walked over him to get to their deals. Unreal.

With a kite, we are very mobile and can move around quite well, so all it takes is a minute out of your time to check on someone. Most of the time, riders are OK, but it only takes a little time to check.

Way to go Mark and glad Lloyd is OK. What a great ending to a potential tragic story.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Big Props to Marc for being alert, caring, and having the presence of mind to save Lloyds life. Thank goodness they were in a place where CPR could be performed. It sounds like a super close call for Lloyd, and every second counts in situations like this. Marc did an amazing job...miraculous really!

The buddy system is always a good idea, but it doesn't mean anything unless people are paying close attention and act quickly in any questionable circumstances.

I hope Lloyd recovers soon and can kite another day.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Eric A. » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Reality check!!!

Lloyd Maine is one of my longtime windsurfing kiting buddies. I've travelled a few Hatteras trips wth him over the years. He's a great guy who loves wind sports.
He's been on the scene as long or longer than I, and I am a dinasaur.
He actually taught me how to do power jibes on my shortboard way back in the day...none of you reading this post even knows what a power jibe is....maybe some of you...a handful...but who cares...we're kiting now, plus it would take you about a year to perfect the power jibe so don't worry about that, tis a windsurfing thing of that past.

Back to reality:

I just spoke with Lloyd an hour ago.
He is still in the hospital in Texas.
He is glad to be alive. Mark saved his life. Way to go Mark, you are honored! Thank you for taking time out of your session to save my firends life.

He said it was gusty 8m and it was his second session.
Riding by himself away from the crowd, practicing jumps and stuff.
He really didn't know what happened, but guesses he got tossed in a big gust and slammed into the shallows...knocked him out.
Tha'ts all he remembered until he came to and noticed the guys now helping him.
He said that that's as close to death as he's got. Thankful for Mark's quick reactions....a min later and Lloyd would probably not be talking to me.

He is doing well....talking clearly...still wants to go out and ride, but will wait until next year.
What a close call....I almost shit myself when I read the post.....my friend...almost died having FUN......put that in perpective next time you go out.
I can't say thank you enough to Mark and everyone else who helped. I wish Lloyd a fast recovery and hope to share some water time with him next year.

Please be carefull out there and ALWAYS watch EVRYONE out there even if the person is a "cocky kook" who pissies people off on the beach" ...or the "seasoned pro"...DONT HESITATE TO HELP....you could be saving someones life!

Thank you again Mark!
Get better Lloyd I'm pullin for ya bro.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby kitenick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:48 pm

to all,

lloyd is in good spirits. he was told that he would be released this afternoon but they really take there time at the hospital. this was a freak accident, know one actually was it but with only about 6 kiters out in the stong winds its a miricle that Mark saw him so quickly. he is walking about the hospital just waiting for the doctor to release him, and then ill pick him up.

note... about an hour after they took the o2 tube out of his throught his first questions, "did anyone see my jump" and , "did someone get my kite" a real trooper.

jim
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 am

Talked to Lloyd yesterday and it sure is good to hear him speak after reading a startling story like this! Take care of our bud Jim!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Kevin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:25 am

That is truly an unbelievable story. Face down in the water, literally his life was saved.

Even if you don't know CPR, don't think you can't help. Very basic principles, get air into lungs, and, more importantly, circulate it with chest compressions.

So important to keep your head on a swivel on the water and know what's going on around you. I know I'll try to make an even better effort to do so going forward.
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:53 am

I'll tell you what, it's stories like this that make me realize I should take a CPR class. It's been since the Boy Scouts that I've been exposed to any such training. I almost feel obligated as a participant in a water sport such as ours. Does anyone know of such a program in or around the city?
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

WaWaZat wrote:I'll tell you what, it's stories like this that make me realize I should take a CPR class. It's been since the Boy Scouts that I've been exposed to any such training. I almost feel obligated as a participant in a water sport such as ours. Does anyone know of such a program in or around the city?

Right on Mike.

In most cases it's "too late" by the time the paramedics arrive on scene with drowning accidents. We are usually the only ones who would be able to quickly recognize that there is a problem with one of our fellow kitesurfers (or perhaps a distressed swimmer or boater in the water), so I agree we should all feel some obligation to know CPR.

You can contact the local Red Cross office and they can probably tell you where training will be taking place in your area. I've often done the program when they are organized at various yacht clubs I frequent - maybe that's an optiion too. I often hear about seminars done at high schools as well. There is a minimum number of participants to organize an independent training session. I plan on trying to get a group committed to a class here in Muskegon next Spring.

Basic CPR is not "rocket science" but the techniques they show you will defo put you at an advantage to help and it could make all the difference. The guy who rescued Lloyd is very experienced with CPR and probably had repeated the class over many years as part of his "life guard" requirements. Kitesurfing instructors are also supposed to hold current First Aid and CPR cards. Techniques have changed a little over the years, so it's not always the same old stuff.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby ironben » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm

i see firefighter hold these training all the time. I was putting this off but i have to go and get it done as well.
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby 4w7s » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 pm

for Red Cross courses, schedules, and locations go to
http://www.redcross.org/en/takeaclass

I also came across this on-line course but IMO it's better to be in a class (at least for your first time), hands on with the "Resusci-Annie" is very valuable (plus there are subtle differences for infant CPR). I think Red Cross now has on-line courses also.
http://www.procpr.org/landing/dynamic2/ ... custom=arc
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Rorke » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Amazing story. Guardian angel type of save.
I am teaching a red cross first aid CPR class next week in Evanston.
Not sure what day, but I will be there all week, so I could add another class.
I am teaching a uscg captains license course.
Anyone interested, let me know. Maybe I could set it up in the evening,followed by beverages.

Again, what a feeling it must be to save a life. Epic save.
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby nicole » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Wow, I'm glad he's ok!!!! I moved to SPI about a month ago and this happened when I was back in Chicago for Thanksgiving. I heard bits and pieces of the story from different people when I got back, so am glad to get the full story. Scary stuff! So glad that he is ok and people were around to help. The wind was so strong that day that it blew the roof off of the carwash station!
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Great offer Rorke! Would be great to know if you will be doing this again at some point.

Thanks for taking the time to dig up those resources Roberto!

I will be looking to take a class after the holidays and before I get on the water again. I will encourage my crew to come along and will post here as well. Would be great to get as many as possible exposed to this type of training... I for one would certainly feel better knowing my comrades could step up if necessary! :)
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum