dynabar? what do you think?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

dynabar? what do you think?

Postby ironben » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 pm

I run in to this product called Dynabar. it does look promising, especially for wave and snow kitting.
any comments pro or cons?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6BCmT0ZsAw&feature=player_embedded#!
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Re: dynabar? what do you think?

Postby 4w7s » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 am

I've been using one for 2+ years....love it. Will never go back to a fixed hook. Great for wave ridinng and snow kiting. Much stronger than any fixed hook (I've broken over a half dozen in the past)

I have a few in stock. If interested send me an email

rvillate@msn.com
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:43 am

Roberto, how much do u sell them for?
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby ironben » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:54 am

call me Roberto, have a few questions!
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Bolt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 pm

This lady at Floras lake this summer broke her dynabar mid flight then landed hard and blew out her knee, the worst injury all summer at the lake. IMO (sorry Roberto) the Dynabar seems like a really expensive & over engineered spreader bar with a bunch of moving parts. If you like the slide action for riding toe side in the waves and snowkiting with skis on, Just tie a piece of strong rope (I used and old chicken loop rope) from one end of your spreader bar to the other, then pop your safety open on your chicken loop, wrap it around the rope, click your safety back in and your good. Cheap and easy, you can decide to ride w/ or w/o it depending on what you want for that session. Makes all the difference for riding back side in the waves!

Kind of hard to see how it is connected in this pic, but I tie it right into the point where it connects to my harness on both sides of the spreader bar.
btw - not my idea, I stole it from the Brady boys who I think got the idea from their buddy Patrick Rebstock.

Then when it's time to hop on the unicycle and do a little transfer into a cranberry bog, I hook in normal and the rope doesn't get in the way. :D
Bolt
Kite Crew in Training

Postby 4w7s » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Bolt wrote:This lady at Floras lake this summer broke her dynabar mid flight then landed hard and blew out her knee, the worst injury all summer at the lake. IMO (sorry Roberto) the Dynabar seems like a really expensive & over engineered spreader bar with a bunch of moving parts. If you like the slide action for riding toe side in the waves and snowkiting with skis on, Just tie a piece of strong rope (I used and old chicken loop rope) from one end of your spreader bar to the other, then pop your safety open on your chicken loop, wrap it around the rope, click your safety back in and your good. Cheap and easy, you can decide to ride w/ or w/o it depending on what you want for that session. Makes all the difference for riding back side in the waves!

Andy, Do you know which version of bar it was? I'd be willing to bet it was a V5. Maybe you can find out and verify so the facts are straight. (Or perhaps provide more spcifics on what actually broke...even a photo would be great!)

I happen to think the Dynabar is a good poduct so I feel I should say a few things to represent that sentiment. I began using the Dynabar as a "test rider" 3+ years ago and put it thru some heavy paces before I felt sure I wanted to endorse it, ride with it, sell it, teach with it. I've tested all the versions as they were released and when I got the V5 I was immediately suggesting that the company revise the construction - whihch they did. Jay Factory was trying to simplify the fabricaton process and the V5 did not last long in production. I declined to sell the V5 for this reason and have advised people against it whenever it comes up. I understand there are quite a few V5's remaining on stockists shelves - so caveat emptor to consumers. Personally I feel these stockists should pull the V5 product - PERIOD. I tested a V5 to the point of failure as pictured below, but that did not seem like a reason to give up or condemn a good concept.

The next version was the V6 which is bombproof, as is the V3. I even still have a V1 that I've used for 3 years and 100% confidence in. I have not had one customer return/failure on the V3 or the V6 and some of my customers weigh over 250 lbs. In any case, I feel the design of the V3 and V6 are very strong and (for me) completely reliable as opposed to most other fixed hook bars out there (of which I have broken many at the hook/bar weld, the hook itself, or the tubular bar as well). It's not good to hear that someone injured themself when a bar broke, but I wonder if that has more to do with other factors? While we all like to rely on our gear we still need to be prepared for those "what if" situations - a broken line, broken bar, jammed pulley, blown strap...all of which could lead to injury, or at least a moment of surprise, especially if it happens in a sketchy spot, hairy conditions, or shallow water or far off-shore..

I think that saying that the Dynabar is overengineered and overpriced is a bit of an exageration for a high quality bar that comes with a pad for $120. And just to be clear about this - the only "moving part" is the hook sliding on the bar (or rope) if you wish, which amounts to the same amount of hardware that acts as halyards for sails. The plastic roller bearing is intended to be "sacrificial" and if you don't replace that when it wears thru than YES you will start damaging the shackle pin - which could result in a failure. But that (plastic roller) is a 25 ccent part that takes about 30 seconds to replace with a standard screwdriver, so IMO no big deal. I would think you could literally perform any of this blindfolded. I certainly hope even the most unmechanically inclined people can handle all those "moving parts".

Yes, the use of a rope also works great with the Dyabar as well and they have specific accomodations for that. The "rope mode" has a slightly different feel from the FreeRide bar and that has a different feel from the FreeWave bar...so JayFactory offers the different "flavors" in an effort to satisfy all riders. There are some advantages and disadvantages to the "rope mode"...primarily if you want to ride unhooked, the rope mode is not that practical.

this is a pic of the original version to which I adapted a rope - and had the option of either a metal slide or a rope slide. The same thing you can do with the newer versions.

As you say, the rotating hook is a nice feature for wave riding/toe-side riding. I'm certinly not saying that 100% of riders will like it, but I cannot tell you how many times people have said that they wish they had gotten one sooner and that they'll never go back to the fixed hook - which is exactly how I feel. So, I guess "beauty" and appraently "function" is in the eye of the beholder.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Bolt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:31 am

Thanks for the info Roberto. I have never used a dynabar and my bias is based on that one incident. In 11 or so years of kiting I have broken 1 dakine pivoting spreader bar, pretty scary but fortunately it popped when I was loading up for a jump, not mid flight. I'm not sure what version she had and I don't have any pics but I got a close look. It looked like the dynabar from the bottom pic minus the rope, the thin cross bar furthest from the pad broke on the left side. It's been a few months but it seemed maybe the end of that cross bar was threaded?? Could the threads have stripped out?

If my memory serves me correctly (and it is late here on the west coast after a Christmas party :D ) First dakine had a their harness set up w/ a sliding spreader bar on the original pyro harness. Then they had spreader bar pad add ons that fixed the bar into place. Then came the tabu harness that had a fixed position, which is now an industry standard across most brands. I remember BK liked riding with a rash gaurd over his suit so the whole harness could twist when riding toe side. Then the dynabar came out, the whole sliding action is a great idea, it's almost like half way between being unhooked and hooked.

From the pics it seems the dynabar is as functional as a piece of rope?? I know even a slight change in your control bar or harness can have quite a different feel. Hopefully I can try a Dynabar out soon and have a better understanding of how it feels and functions.

I added a rope to my dakine bar just like you did in that bottom pic, except not through the hook, just undo your safety and plug into the rope. If you have a chicken loop like the old cabrinhas, RRD, or liquid force, you can tie your chicken loop into the rope and then plug that into your kite bar when your ready to shred, that way you won't lose your loop when you pop your safety.

Any ways, great to debate spreader bars with you Roberto, you spend a lot more time on a kite then most and your a valid source of info! Keep posting those sweet Muskegon wave pics! Merry Chirstmas!
Bolt
Kite Crew in Training

Postby ironben » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:59 am

nice discussion.
I am thinking give it a shot, so soon may have better idea for how it works for me or a link for eBay :lol:
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby 4w7s » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Bolt wrote: I'm not sure what version she had and I don't have any pics but I got a close look. It looked like the dynabar from the bottom pic minus the rope, the thin cross bar furthest from the pad broke on the left side. It's been a few months but it seemed maybe the end of that cross bar was threaded?? Could the threads have stripped out?

The V5 shown in my previous post had the rod welded to the frame plate. Micro movements of the rod eventually caused the weld between the rod and the plate to fail on the V5. Coincidentally this is what causes many other hook/bars to fail. The V3 has a different construction where the rod literally hooks around the frame AND has a weld which is so strong I'd be willing to tow a car with it. The V6 is somewhat similar to the V5 except the rod is threaded and is held in place with a locknut on each end.

There is a possibility that the nuts became loose and the rod disconnected, but highly unlikely the threads stripped. Only one customer of mine has said his nuts loosened but I think that they may not have been adequately tightened when he assembled it. I have a V6 and have never had the nuts loosen. This is not to say it Can't happen, but this goes back to the good old advice that everyone needs to check their gear before they ride. I think it would be very obvious if those nuts were not tight simply by torqueing the bar with your hand when you don the harness.

Andy, hopefully you get a chance to try one soon. I think you would like it. And you are right, any subtle difference in gear setup can really change the experience for better or worse...and not always the same for everyone...and some people just have a hard time with anything different.

We had a lot of great days here on Lake MI until recently, but I think Dec 18 was the last good WATER day of 2011...maybe I'm wrong, but I've been praying more for snow lately and not much of that in sight here until after Xmas or New Year...oh well, what can you do? Hopefully the next photos I post on Facebook will be snow shots!

from last years awesome season...Jan 20 2011

Happy Holidays everyone! PRAY FOR SNOW!!!

Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Rorke » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I have the v2.
It has not broken under my extreme girth.
Nice for toe side riding. Especially nice for snow riding.
You can search for my old review.

That being mentioned, I went back to my 2005 harness this past season. It is much easier to unhook and re-hook with a fixed hook.
And I need all the help I can get.

Shralp ON!
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum