near death exp for MI surfer

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

near death exp for MI surfer

Postby FSP » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

All the events of what to do and not are in these guys cold water wave day gone bad.

http://forum.thirdcoastsurfshop.com/vie ... =1&t=12475
FSP
Zen Levitator

Re: near death exp for MI surfer

Postby ironben » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm

nice story, i like the part when he said his wetsuit is being held together by duck tape. wow.
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby West » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 am

all for one...one for all..........a creed to live by; but who amongst us will risk their own to save another; that's the question???????? KUDOS to the surfer who lended aid; as it is much easier said than exhibited. As you push the limits with your compadres, ask yourself this question.......... AND Always recognize the dangers involved and the extent of your personal limits!!!!!!!!!! It's all fun and games until you are swimming for your life.........

Where were they surfing cowboy? MAC? double jetties with an elbow? ...........grand haven, south side
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:35 pm

idk man, but i was just supping in 8 foot closeouts at mc and had my new 6mil ripped completely open in two 4 inch gashes that thank god i had my board still attached. stupid like the surfer guy, i let my desire get the best of me and went alone. these sports have a huge darkside and hopefully we can get to a point where luck is not the only rescue tactic.

tow in guys really partner up and sacrifice their waves to support each other which i would like to mimic personally. Right now I know it would be a lot of luck if your going for it cold and on the outside so what are the possibilities? when really extreme, might even be cool to find a partner that we take turns truly watching over the other rider for a potential rescue to go all out like the tow in guys would be pretty solid. going half asse or on luck will catch up.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Agreed Captn, cold water is a killer!!!!!!!!!!........how did the wetsuit get ripped?

I thought from pics, MAC might be Grand Haven, but not sure.....just curious
West
Wind Whore

Postby West » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:54 pm

figured it out finally.........just got myself confused cause the trademark red lighthouse is not in the photos, just the beacons on the end of the jetties......Holland, south side.....locals know it as MAC for Macatawa....they park by the houses that are mostly vacant for the season....downwinded by there but never been to the beach on the south side....nice looking elbow there, but limited access.....now I can put the mind at rest.....gotta love those Michigan lighthouses!!!!!!!! PURE MICHIGAN :D :D :D
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

West wrote:.......how did the wetsuit get ripped?

one wave rolled me that caused the fin to cut my new 6 mil clean to the skin in two freaky 4 inch gashes!! i have come to learn that supping in head plus, fast, pitching waves is just plain silly. Each time i got stuffed, there was a lump or close call with the damn fin. because you cant ditch it like surfboard its always there with you and full of power from the wave. very exciting but beware if its throwing and your going!!! so much intense fun if the wind dies and waves clean up.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum