Northerly Island Park ??

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Northerly Island Park ??

Postby Bryce FLK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Has anyone gone snowkiting at Northerly Island Park just south of downtown?

It is right next to the Adler Planetarium and should have somewhat steady winds as its next to the lake. If we get a sunny day the Chicago skyline would make for some good pictures/video

I might try it this weekend if the snow/wind is good, anyone want to join me or have suggestions?

-Bryce
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Re: Northerly Island Park ??

Postby adseguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm

You are talking about snow kiting right? I've heard of people snow kiting on that. Should be fun especially with any East element in the wind (rare enough).

I hope you aren't talking about actual kiteboarding though. Super sketchy, illegal, and just flat dangerous in these conditions. My biggest qualm (besides being possibly arrested and having the sport banned again) is how small the rescue area is. You really can't go far out since the possibility of having a beach in an emergency gets really thin...and it's not like you have "only rocks" to deal with you have 6 foot high break walls and a harbor there. So yeah, just stick to snow/land kiting....now we just need some snow.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Bryce FLK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:35 am

Yea Snowkiting...

I figure any direction except west would make for a good session... now we just need a big dump.

I went snowkiting in Grand Rapids MI last weekend... had the 11.5 up for 2 minutes, sooo frustrating. I might head to Muskegon area soon, heard they got snow.

What about Grand Park baseball fields? Anyone ever ridden there?
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby slingsnot » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Grant Park could be super sketchy, as the fields are sunken, and clean wind would be hard to find. Plus, no parking.

Northerly Island has a parking lot.

See you out there,

Joel
slingsnot
Pump Master

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Northerly Island gets really gusty on anything North, South & West... not to mention the island is not wide enough to really tack in any direction except North/South. So this leaves an nice Easterly being the perfect direct... the only direction??? However, as Adrien mentioned... Easts are extremely rare.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 am

Today: Snow, mainly after 9am. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Calm wind becoming southeast between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 18. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before noon. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 27. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east southeast.

Saturday Night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 19. Southeast wind between 10 and 15 mph.

A little more wind and hopefully a lot of snow and we could have that east wind session tomorrow afternoon.... anyone else thinking about joining me?
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby Juani222 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:12 pm

I've windsurfed Northerly Island last year, and to add to the sketchiness to the place, there is a submerged break wall about 100 yards from the launch, not a place for kiting for sure... But I would love to try snowkiting there, so I'll try to join you... at what time are you thinking about going there?
Juani222
Board Monkey

Postby adseguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Sunday looks better for those SE winds. I might join you, but I'm not sure yet. I have a lot of stuff going on at the moment
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:26 pm

I should be there between 11-12 tomorrow, hopefully the wind works out.... If not it is worth checking out the island and the snow conditions for Sunday...

Shoot me a txt if anyone is headed out Six 1 Six, 951 - two 444
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Ok... maybe Easts aren't EXTREMELY rare. :D Looks like it's predicted to come down a lot Sat when it turns east. But I wonder if that will actually be the case there on the lakefront. I'm gonna hit the snowboarding hills Sat but I'd be interested in a report from the ones goin' for it! Sun may be too South... and warm... and rainy. :-( But if there is still snow cover, I may try to find a field somewhere if it's gonna be South.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 pm

ADESGUY .... common these conditions are Rare!
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby Sonny » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 am

We ended up finding a field... down in South Chicago.

Here are some pics from yesterday's riding:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... b21400a937

And here's one on my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_photos/ ... /lightbox/

I took some video (a few airs) but I'm too lazy to edit. The wind was gusty and exhausting and my brain was dead.
Sonny
Board Monkey

Postby sailfish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Did you snowkite with a snowboard and if so how was it? I heard there are boards designed for the snow, but I 'm not interested in buying one since favorable conditions for snowkiting seem to be rare in this area. I do have a snowboard I could use though.
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:54 pm

sailfish wrote:Did you snowkite with a snowboard and if so how was it? I heard there are boards designed for the snow, but I 'm not interested in buying one since favorable conditions for snowkiting seem to be rare in this area. I do have a snowboard I could use though.
Dave

Yeah, kite specific snowboards rule! I was on my Escape 161 and Jason on his Reverse 158.
http://www.aboards.eu/public/index.php?Products:Boards:kitesnowboard_ESCAPE
http://www.aboards.eu/public/index.php?Products:Boards:kitesnowboard_REVERSE
Favorable snowkiting conditions have been rare THIS year with insanely warm weather... last year was a different story. Snow started in November and we had a nice snowy December. Earlier than some years but how it should be! This time last year we were under blizzard conditions. But it's only Feb 2nd... winter is still with us and if you're not happy with the weather conditions in Chicago, stick around 10 minutes! :D

Here is a recent thread on kite specific and non-specific snowboards;
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10516
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today