How wide can you ride toe side? 42 cm ok?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

How wide can you ride toe side? 42 cm ok?

Postby rmanecke » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:54 pm

I am in the market for a new board and harness. (Drawing comments for my "old a$$ 2006 gear" lately).

I am a big guy 205 lbs. I have a liqui" for$e WLF 140... 140 cm by 46 cm board which I like to travel with... due to versatility. But... at 46 cm wide it is hard to ride toeside. Especially with D@kine nitrou$ boardshort/seatharness.

I am looking at a 142 cm by 42 cm wide as my new travel board (SS mi$fit). 42 cm should be fine for toeside riding with a size 12/13 foot right? The extra 2 cm in length might be a little bit of a hassel for packing... so if you know of a good 140 by 42 cm freeride board... I'd like your opinions.

Also... I am going to try a waist harness. I love the nitrous setup for long sessions... but... it is a fight to try and turn away from the kite for toeside riding. Any suggestions there? The last time I tried a waist harness was in 2005. Mostly interested in general ideas and info... not brand endorsement etc...

Finally... I am sill riding my 2006 Be$t Waroo$. I stilll really like these kites!... any reason to upgrade? There was a HUGE difference from 2004 to 2006, but I am skeptical about what's happened since the "flat" kites first hit the scene.
Ryan "Upwind or Bust" Manecke
rmanecke
Wind Chaser

Re: How wide can you ride toe side? 42 cm ok?

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:45 am

The board will be fine. I used to have a Trax4 137 x 41 rode it toe side a lot, and with my size 11 it was easy to do. So for size 12 13 don't worry just practice and get used to it.
Upgrading your gear. Do you feel that it is getting to old? Do you see wear and tear in it? Or is it just comments from people who buy the latest and greatest every year? What I have seen over the last couple of years is more that the safety systems on the bars have changed then the kites it self. For an example in 2007 I was riding the Bandit 1. The bandits that came after had the same shape but the attachments for the lines on the leading edge were placed a little different but the shape remained the same until the 5th version of the kite.

Lots of the gear has changed in the last couple of years but for me it feels like the focus was more on safety systems. They became easier and better. The kites them self, got some new colors great marketing story around it and throw it on the market as super awesome new gear that will make you boost up to the moon.

Harness is really important. Its really unfortunate that there is no dedicated kite gear shop around the area. The harness has to be comfortable if its not it will hurts your back with maybe bad results. While lots of people are really thrilled about the Mystics I got rid of mine because it was hurting my back. Glad I could sell it to some one who has a good time with it now!

Drop me a PM lets share some idea's and hopefully you can find something that will fit you!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: How wide can you ride toe side? 42 cm ok?

Postby rmanecke » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks for the info!

The kites seem to be great. I'm lucky to get 10 sessions per year... So they are near perfect to look at. I have familiarized myself with the newer below the bar safety mechanisms and it seems like I could just upgrade my bar To take advantage of that. (Although, the best bars came with higher quality lines in 2006 versus now). I guess I worry about leaky bladders, glue and material failure etc... Regarding performance, I am the limiting factor... Not my gear. As long as I don't bother trying to ride in 10 mph winds, the kites do what I need.

It sounds like the waist harnesses are like fitting shoes. I'll just try one.
Ryan "Upwind or Bust" Manecke
rmanecke
Wind Chaser

Return to Open Forum