SUPPING

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

SUPPING

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 am

Back in town people. Weather sucked over sea's but was still a good time. Anyway. Was reading a Dutch magazine about Supping and this made me wondering. Does any one knows how many SUPPERS the Chicago Area counts? I am kinda tempted to set up the first Chicago Montrose beach (or Waukegan) SUPPING competition (will be super low budget don't expect high $$$ prices or something) but just a fun friendly and maybe annually returning event that we can combine with other things such as the beach clean ups from Surf riders or something.

If any store would be interested in this to participate please send me an email or PM:
infoATchicagowindchasersDOTcom

Sorry for the weird writing but trying to get away from spam a little.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: SUPPING

Postby skysurfr » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Please coordinate with Windward. Im sure Jess would be VERY interested in this.

...and provide some better prizes.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Goatskull » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Hit up Windward Sports and/or a fairly new shop Great Lakes Board Co.

http://greatlakesboardcompany.com/
Goatskull
Chop Wrestler

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I will contact these shops and see what they have to say about it. Mike you know the guys from Windward right? Would you mind to give em a heads up that I will contact them?

Thanks! Maurice
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby dbur » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:51 pm

check http://www.midwestsup.com/

it's a shame Chicago didn't get any races last summer...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I sent Windward an email. I'll follow up with a phone call when they are open.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Jess is looking forward to hearing from you.

Mike
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate it!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby gbleck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 pm

That would be SUPper fun. :)

Got a 12.6 Amundsond TR-X from Windward at the end of last season and have had a lot of fun with it. Still kind of suck at it when the wind/waves pick up. I can get us some bouys maybe for Waukegan.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby FSP » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:42 pm

actually surfing the wave with your sup is better than you can imagine at MC soon as a north swell passes and the winds go south (offshore). was carving the faces from out by the pier sometimes making it all the way to the sand! does this a lot in the winter and literally goes from flat to 8/10 foot sets. the south winds grroom it like an ocean ground swell. the sandbars make the wave pretty circular so must get way out to get in early.

i think a contest with a heated tent for most spectacular rides in these conditions is what were missing.

inside the harbor is another wave that is outrageous when its super windy from the north.

put this together somebody!!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 am

If you get this going in any kind of way I'll make it an event with the surfrider community. We love getting these together and it'll double the people coming over. Keep us posted here. Also we have great hook-ups for offering prizes from patagonia, erehwon, and corona.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 am

Status update:
I am a little swamped in work at the moment (got back from 2 weeks vacation). BUT today I will take the time to call Windward and see if I can arrange a meeting. I will try to keep you guys posted as much as I can. This page: http://supchicago.X makes me happy.com/ will be my personal log of what is going and what will happen. Please keep in mind people, I am doing this in my spare time for fun! Any one who wants to help in later progress please drop me a line. Adrien, I will call you one of these days and talk about the Surfriders!

Within the next 2 to 3 days I will have a plan of what will happen and what I have in mind! Stay Tuned People!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby gbleck » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Off the top of my head I'm thinking that the Shred Shop also sells SUPS so they might be a good contact. Also Waukegan now has a surf shop, Lake Surf Designs. I don't know if they are making any sups but they do silk screening as well. I'll swing by over lunch and ask them if they are interested.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Northerner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 pm

I made my first SUP two years ago and found it be to a cost effective way to enter the sport. It is 10'6" by 29.5" The board had a OK design (typical of what was being produced at the time) but was much heavier then the new epoxy boards produced now by most good companies. I would ride the board on flat water once in a while and try to get the wave days here but I never really got stoked about it like I do kiting.

That changed this winter though as I recently purchased a Mctavish SUP from famed Australian sharper Bob Mctavish at my local shop a month ago. The board is 10ft by 30", I'm 6ft 185 . Winter, especially this one, is a great time for waves as the cold dense air builds bigger and more solid waves on the lake than in the warmer months. I have gotten 10 sessions on the board since getting it in early January with 6 days being very clean head high peelers. The Mctavish is a surf designed board and I noticed it on my first session. Moves I struggled with on my old board I have now at times nailed. The board turns beautifully, is quick and feels half the size of my old board. I have really love getting that first fast bottom turn on the wave and scoring big on the days when its to cold to kite or the wind is off shore. I kite strapless when ever there is waves here and this board gave me a piece of the stoke I get from riding strapless.

Check out the link for the board and the vid: http://www.mctavish.com.au/surfboard/10 ... rmance-sup

If people are talking about shops I'm going to throw out a plug for or local shop, E.O.S. here in Sheboygan. The owners have been surfing for 10 plus years and selling SUPS for over 5 years. One Stand ups exclusively now and last year got 70 days on the waves along with a stand up trip to Latin America. The other surfs and kites and are hosting a midwest sup race series here this summer. They have good variety of surf specific boards, jack of all trades boards and distance flat water SUP boards. They use and know all products and have a dozen boards in stock now with a huge order coming in this spring. So sometime come up here for the wind, the waves and for E.O.S.
Last edited by Northerner on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 pm

The crew at EOS rocks. Great guys and that is a gorgeous looking board.

Our Madison swell just doesn't compare. hehe.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:28 pm

standup is the shizzle delux bomb diggity dot com! those who are on the fence are really missing a great experience other than kiting. If it does not seem hardcore enuf then paddle out when its 6-8 ft in the dunes once the wind stops!!! you can get hacked by this thing or if all goes right feel your stomach in your throat turning on some ledges. After my last tangle with the fin its got all my respect and cant wait to see how it brings out the balls round here.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 am

bring it on, something like that would be awesome. I am embarassed to say i have yet to get up on a regular surfboard but have plenty of successfull sessions on a sup

here are some fails from the past

10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:51 am

ohhhh that looks fun.

on another note i have seen the kind of weak f-one S-U-K videos and unless i am missing whats out there.. it surprises me the world is not just ripping the sup with a kite? i mean there is no shortage of light wind wave days not to mention nice glassy faces without all the crosschop. we are very prime for that aspect of kiting.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

I leave the SUP'n in the surf to the wavehogs.....give me a full moon risin', a calm BIG LAKE and a downwinder of 10 miles or so along the dunes with the shooting stars and some BROS!!!!!!!!! Or maybe a nice paddle up Silver Creek at sunset past the Daniel Boone birch log; into Silver Lake with the salmon swimming under your wake and the swans arching their necks to the heavens as you drift liesurely through the swaying reeds..............that's what I am talking about....leave the waveslashing to the ol' trusty twin-tip!!!!!!! :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 am

man u know i love them TTS jackhammer but shidoozle, i cant wait for them 6 times a year, DW’s in the northern hemisphere. I would darn near go crazy if i cant see a wave for 6 months round here much less go ride it. id like to sell the kids and hook up some maui but u know somehow cost me more when i got back. for now i ice it up and slide it couple days a week from the horseshoe to the blue chip hardly losing a hand blackjack style. ouuuuuweee and when it go calm come outta dat river where da sun sets over a nice a frame lake peak to split one with me and let them swans croon their neck for a gander at that.

the TT ready to go.. soon my friend.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum