Wetsuit Recommendations

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Wetsuit Recommendations

Postby IVO » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Herbie,

I'm looking for same info..its either West Hotline or Roberto AMP..They both look good,although AMP is about 30% cheaper and Flow even more compare to Hotline.At the end,hundo makes no difference,quality does.

Have to start move things up..

Roberto ,Hammer would be the way to go for a AMP?
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 am

The difference in cost between Amp and Flow is not that much. I think the Amp is the best value to be honest. The price is good and the quality is excellent. I'd defo go for the Amp model again when I replace the suit...based on appearance I'm thinking I've got at least 2 more years to go. Plus I think the quality and features have improved since I bought mine. I saw a guy here riding last week with a new Amp...looks good!

I purchased my Amp suits (have 3/2 and hooded 6/5/4) in the summer of 2009 and have used them a lot...both still going strong. A few minor seam touchups. I always have a can of seam cement ($5) and a tube of aquaseal ($10) handy. Eventually every suit will need a small repair now and then. If you "nip it the the bud" you will minimize any further hassle..just like with almost any piece of gear.

I am sure that Mark (aka Hammer) will be more than happy to help you with size and ordering.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Great,thank you for the tip Roberto..

Didn't know "hammer" is Mark 8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby grimace » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:20 am

Ordered a 3/2 amp3 for this season and a friend has been using a 5/3 since last spring... no issues or complains from him.
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby V » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 am

Sorry been on and off the forum this winter to all some other posters to catch up to my posting total, haha.

The suit is very warm. From the 5/3 i had to this, the difference is easily noticeable. Honestly, in december on that day in MC, it was 35 deg and 30+. I was on my 8m. In the 5/3 i would have probably not even bothered because in 45mins i would have been freezing and the packing up on the beach would have been brutal.

This new suit allowed me to ride until I didnt have any more riding energy left. Then, funny, some older couple stopped me in the prkinglot and asked me how i could possibly be out there and i explained how the suit was toasty. This was after talking to west and greg on the beach for a while too. No way would i have been able to do that in my old suit.

I will say the integrated hood was solid. The suit is front entry and not difficult to get on or off. I found taking it off easier than the old one. Mobility wise it is just as mobile if not more. Definity more in the waist area where i felt constricted in the old one doing a grab. It felt like my gut would be scrunched. In this one that feeling is not really there.

I admit i did also get a new set of 5mm booties. And those are nice too.

All in all, each of the newer wetsuits recommended in this thread are probably very nice. For me, the FIT was critical. I need the suit to fit right. At 190-195, 6'2" with a 32 waist it is hard to find. Then mobility. Of course warmth is a necessity but warmth with these suits is already assumed.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Kevin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 am

Allirght with daylight savings today, after work kiting season starts (assuming the water thaws).

Time for a new wetsuit, this is the best recent thread on wetsuits and thought I'd piggy back onto it. I'm plenty warm in my 5/3 but it flushes too often. I think I need an integrated hood. Also have always had a back zip but front makes more sense I think

V did you get the Hyperflex Amp? Happy with it? Also looking at the NPX 6/5 Surf Edge - but one review said the hood was not integrated. And plenty of criticism on this thread. Also I know the Patagonia suits (R4?) are expensive but I hear they are really great.

What suits are people using that stay warm in really really cold conditions? Preferably with integrated hood - which I'm assuming will minimize flushing.

Thx
Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi Kevin,

The suit is not an NPX Edge, but NP Surf Edge. NPX was integrated into NP SURF and the Edge is a step above the NPX Zealot suit and is the top of the line suit by the Pryde group (NP Surf). I love the Zealot, but the new Edge has liquid seams in the higher stress areas to make it even more durable. I've been on the NPX for many years and rode the NP Edge last year and it is a nicer suit.

The hood is separate, but being integrated won't make that much difference with flushing. Most of the flush comes from the front and the hood would be attached in the back. Getting the hood tucked in properly is the best way to reduce flush.

I loved these suits so much that I bought the majority of their inventory in the 6/5 and 5/4 and offering them at 40% of retail.

Here is a link.

http://kiteridersllc.com/karty2/index.p ... ry&path=60

Hope this helps,

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby V » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Kevin wrote:V did you get the Hyperflex Amp? Happy with it?

Very happy. integrated hood is nice, the 5mm boots are great as well. Very very warm. earlier suit was unable to keep me warm in 35 degree air temps. With the hyperflex at MC one day it was 34 and 30+ mph. I rode several hours AND was standing around in the parkinglot with it on toasty. That would never happen with the old suit. The dreaded - get this off me before I freeze - end of the session teardown is a thing of the past...
V
Unstrapped!

Previous

Return to Open Forum