Golfbag boardbag

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Golfbag boardbag

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Question for the people who tried the Golfbag trick on airlines. How did it work out? Flying back to the Caribbean in June for a week and looking for a new boardbag now. I was considering to take the GolfBoardbag but just wondering how they turn out. So who tried one of those bags and how did it turn out for you
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: Golfbag boardbag

Postby adseguy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Carribean, Mexico, Hatteras, Hood River, France, Fiji, Colorado....never had a problem taking it anywhere. Just be super nice to the person at the check-in. Ask how there day was, complain to something she will agree with, smile etc. I always get by with the extra 5 lbs over 50 I pack in :) When's the last time you turned someone down when they were sooo kind to you :wink:
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Just got off the phone with American Airlines they charge $150 each way! Unless I can stay under the 62inches total (length + height + width) Crazy people.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby adseguy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 pm

How many bags are you taking? Are you TELLING THEM it's a "golf bag" or "kiteboarding bag". It's hit or miss for some people, but my way has so far worked fine. If they ask I always say it's medical equipment anyway.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby grimace » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

I just got back from Mexico. I too was told it was $79 each way unless I was under that 80" crap rule.

A couple solutions I found:

Bring your board as a carry on (counts as a personal item) and stow it in the overhead compartment. Then you can put your kites in a regular sized suitcase.

Tell them your bag contains needed medical supplies

upgrade to business/first class and your second bag is free on most airlines <-- I did this and pack 65lbs plus some random stuff I brought home in there and they didn't complain! If your gonna pay the $150/ $79 or whatever each way, you might as well upgrade and at least get free drinks!
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby FSP » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 pm

what if they call you on "medical supplies" and look through? lying could get you into some serious questioning with TSA? no?
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby grimace » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 pm

that's why I just upgraded...
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 am

Just my boardbag is what I want to bring. But the conditions for this time don't look good anyways so Ill just keep it on other things to do.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby billg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 am

I travelled to La Ventana in Dec. American's policy was one bag free, $25.00 for the next bag. I used a golf bag for 2 boards and 3 kites, important to keep weight under 50 lbs. Use curbside checkin whenever possible, and tip the porter.
When leaving Cabo airport, the customs agent,(American Airlines employee) seached the golf bag looking for any contraband, and never said anything about the kites.
I almost went to a goodwill store to buy one old golfclub and a ball to put in there just to make it look a liitle more real, but I don't think it matters.
I think the most important thing is to be very nice to all the airline employees and keep the weight under 50lbs.
I put bars and harness in another bag to make weight. I had two bags at 50lbs. and one small backpack in the overhead.
I paid $25.00 for the extra large bag. Also, a small digital luggage scale is worth the price,(about $15.00) because when you re-pack coming home you want to get the weight right. The easier you make there job, the less hassle for you.
billg
Board Slinger

Postby skysurfr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 pm

I've seen them weigh bags, but never break out a tape measure. As long as it's reasonable...not a pointed surf board style bag, you should be fine.

Do not go 1 ounce over the 50lb limit. I watch them tell people to take 2 lbs out or pay up every day.

People travel to and from warm places with ski, snowboard, winter gear all the time. I have lots of friendzs in Hawaii that fly all over to ski.

Last time I read the rules, a kitesurf board was allowed in your baggage allowance for no "extra" fee above and beyond the normal baggage charges. Surf boards generate a large additional fee. NEVER mention the work SURF!

Di through your airlines website and know their rules.

Also snowboards are usually not charged an additional fee. 1 large 2 kite duffel bag plus a snowboard bag with your board will work too.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks mike I will check that out. I was even thinking maybe just get a large duffel bag and stuff it all in there with foam around the board
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby IVO » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:30 pm

billg wrote: Use curbside checkin whenever possible, and tip the porter.

Proper weight and using curb~porter check in is the most safe travel for your $ possible.I did never set my foot inside the airport with golf bag,gear,ect.Never have been questioning about golf bag by porter,be friendly,tip and off you go.When flying from Hawaii surfboard cost me 50$ like this,not to mention I have amazing chat with the porter guy and saw him carrying my surfboard later on like his own :wink:

Good luck!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 pm

I love my CrazyFly Golf bag. They have a 140cm with and wo wheels... no wheels saves over 3 lbs... and a 155cm. They are some of the lightest bags I've found for their size as well as they are padded and reinforced very well. They are pretty high quality inside & out and use heavy duty zippers. They have cinch straps on the outside so the bag can be made smaller if you don't fill it. They also come with 1 very well made compression kite bag so you can leave your stock bag at home, squeeze your kite down and save even more weight & space.

My 155 did me well on a trip to the DR. I had EVERYTHING in there... a lot of times the international travel golf bag allowance is 70 lbs so mine and my Kid's 60-65 lbs bags made it through without a hitch. The curbside porters wouldn't touch our huge bags that morn so we wheeled 'em inside where I saw my friend being hassled by the bag Nazi for a smaller, Best golf bag at the inside quick check. Seeing that, we decided to wait in the longer line for a friendlier face. After lying my huge 155 on the scale with a smile, the clerk ask; "What do we have here?" Just as she asked, I saw her eyes lock in on the large GOLF BAG printed on the side. I said with a smile; "We have a golf bag!" I was tagged up and on my way!

Some people put a few clubs or even strategically placed empty club head covers in their bag so if there's ever a quick, partial unzip peek, they see that and they're usually golden.

If anyone would like to check one out live or make a purchase, let me know; Mike; 708.341.0003

I also have some new vacuum kite bags on the way which use your kite pump to suck your kite down to 1/3 its size! What do you think... would something like this be useful for $35?

[youtube]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWTvj2QwUcE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWTvj2QwUcE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]
ImageImage
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I've read about those compression backs. Lots of people had issues with them because of the plastic clip on the tubes between the LE and struts in one pump systems was ripping through the kite panels. The Bag looks pretty good. Saw them online. But gear is staying home. 7 days with an average of 4bft. Ill skip with that and just go diving
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Return to Open Forum