Montrose signs

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Montrose signs

Postby adseguy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Hey guys. I know we brought this up a while ago last year, but I think this time it'll be a reality (I'll make sure of that). We are asking for around 3 signs. First one in the grass area where most pump up, the second on the dog fence by the edge of the water where we launch/land, and possibly a third by the guard shack for visibility to the guards. What Mike and I are looking for is verbage on this. It's gotta be short, to the point, and listing the most important rules.

This will be the "official list" and will be edited until it's served it purpose:

Title: Kiteboarding Safety and Rules

*All Kiteboarders must be certified to an intermediate level (IKO III-L / PASA II) and display appropriate streamer

* All Kiteboarders will mantain a 100 foot safety zone from occupied beaches.

* REMAIN CLEAR OF ALL SWIM AREAS!

* Kiteboarders will use safety equipment including an attached kite leash.

* Kiteboarding instruction not allowed at any time. Only the use of trainer kites are allowed

* Kiteboarding must be approved by the Captain of the Guards from Memorial Day through Labor Day

* For complete rules please visit: http://www.cpdit01.com/resources/non-mo ... er-sports/

Remember This is all our beach so put your words in and let your voice be heard. We will talk about the certification at another meeting so don't bring that up here.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Montrose signs

Postby adseguy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

I scrubbed through some posts from last year and I got this:

Title: Kiteboarding or Kitesurfing.....or both???? thoughts?

*All Kiteboarders must be certified to an intermediate level. (IKO III-L / PASA II)

* Launch / Land Kites from the west end of the beach adjacent to the Dog Beach.

* All Kiteboarders will mantain a 100 foot safety zone from occupied beaches.

* Kiteboarders will use safety equipment including an attached safety leash.

* Kiteboarding Instruction not allowed at any time.

* Kiteboarding activities may be suspended by the Lifeguards / CPD at any time.

* Pre-Approval System in effect. Visitors check-in at the Lifeguard office.[flash=][/flash]
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 pm

No one? :?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:06 pm

My take:

Having a sign is huge, more than anything to be able to self-police easier.

But I think 3 might be overkill. I think one good one by the dog fence that is short and sweet would do the trick.

Title: Montrose Beach kitesurfing rules (or -boarding, maybe use both in the sign)

(Then maybe 3 or 4 key items, i.e:)

-certification req, streamer

-stay 100 ft from beaches

-no teaching

-check with guard betw mem and labor day

-see http://www.c..k..s.com for details

I don't like mentioning only launching at dog beach as we all know on E winds we ride from bird side

I don't think it's too much to expect a visitor to look into this a little on the website before heading out. This is a big city. None of us would roll into a busy LA or New York beach and just launch a kite.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Adrien and Mike for working on this. Again I think having a sign (s) would be awesome. Looking forward to the season.

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:47 pm

I refer to old post from last year with the whole discussion. Lots of great idea's came around then.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby 4w7s » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 pm

adseguy wrote:* Kiteboarders will use safety equipment including an attached safety leash.

Perhaps you intend to say/or should say "kite leash" ....(so as not to be confused with a board leash?)

A few suggested additions:

No jumping with kite on the beach and no jumping or tricks performed in the vicinity of swimmers, boaters, or other beach goers.

Launch and land kites with adequate distance from other people and hazards - enter water ASAP after launching - land kites ASAP after arriving on beach

Keep anchored kites clear of launch/landing area and wind lines when not in use

Maybe not part of your kite signage but if included... For SUP, should a "board leash" be required?...and also a mention that PFD's are required by the USCG/CPD (except in wave riding conditions if the USCG/CPD accept that?)

Also, what is the status of using a trainer kite on the beach or other areas of the park around Montrose? and what is the definition of a trainer kite?

There are some good sign graphics being used by other beaches that might be beneficial to both kiters and non-kiters.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 pm

I made some adjustments based on the comments. We want to make this as simple as possible with only the most important rules listed. The full list is on their website.

I'm submitting this to Mike urban and we'll talk it over a bit, but I don't think much will change. If it's significant I'll post back up otherwise be looking for some signs to be coming soon. I'm thinking 2 as well, instead of the 3.

Hoping some wind comes in this Tuesday and Wednesday...it's looking like SPRING!!!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:11 pm

I made some adjustments based on the comments. We want to make this as simple as possible with only the most important rules listed. The full list is on their website.

I'm submitting this to Mike urban and we'll talk it over a bit, but I don't think much will change. If it's significant I'll post back up otherwise be looking for some signs to be coming soon. I'm thinking 2 as well, instead of the 3.

Hoping some wind comes in this Tuesday and Wednesday...it's looking like SPRING!!!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am

[size=200]KITEBOARD AREA[/size]

REMAIN CLEAR OF KITES!

Kiteboarding Safety and Rules

*All Kiteboarders must be certified to an intermediate level.
(IKO III-L / PASA II) and display appropriate streamer.

* All Kiteboarders will mantain a 100 foot safety zone from occupied beaches/piers.

* Kiteboarders will use safety equipment including an attached kite leash.
* Kiteboarding instruction not allowed at any time.

For more information please visit:
http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

--------------------------------------

I took out the bit about the trainer kites....they are obviously fine so why mention it? 2M ok on a packed beach? NO...on an empty day..yes...
If the CPD wants to add a "Lifeguard Decisions are FINAL" or something that fine. I think we should submit what we want and let the CPD worry about their end.

?? ....

I'd say leave the part out about beach flying. Lets self police as always. However, on a dead day you may want your kite in the air to set the lines etc. really want the lifeguards shouting you down?

I thinkn keep it simple and focused on the goal.... having something to point to when someone is uncertified and questioning the whole place / procedure. The signs can't explain the whole process, but they can aim people in the right direction.

Everything on those signs WILL be used against us by the bird people and dog people.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby 4w7s » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I think posting some kite signs is a great idea. But maybe something has been overlooked?

Isn't kiting at Montrise contingent on having 1)proper certification, 2) a streamer (implying some sort of rider registration)? 3)self policing (but we've seen the fallacy in that)....so why not also print up a 1-2 page list of rules and issues - and a code of conduct - that would be accepted by the rider when he signs for a streamer? That way you can keep the signage "simple", maybe even designed with equal interest of informing the non-kiting public who might benefit from understanding the "rules" kiters are trying to follow, and trying to keep "joe-beachgoer" out of harms way.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am

Correct !

The goal of the signs is to give everyone something to point to when an uncertified un-streamered rider comes along.

Part of the problem is that nobody seems to want to just walk over and talk to someone without having something to point to.

Thus keep it simple and straightforward..... Don't try to rewrite the whole plan and rule book.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Open Forum