Front or Back Zipper on Wetsuit?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Front or Back Zipper on Wetsuit?

Postby katman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Looking at wetsuits and trying to decide between a front or back zipper on the Hyperflex AMP K 5/3 wondering which would work best for Kiteboarding. Thanks let me know what you guys think.
katman
Board Monkey

Re: Front or Back Zipper on Wetsuit?

Postby adseguy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:01 pm

I have a 4/3 with a back zipper. Works fine and it's easy to slip on/off

I also have a 6/5/4 with a front zipper. It too works fine, but it is more difficult to slip in and out of. So I give the back zipper a slight lead for that, but it really comes down to the price and quality because it's not that much easier to slip on and off
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 pm

I think the back zipper is a better seal and just as easy to put on. I'm an average size person but I know many larger riders who say they were surprised at how easy the top entry suits are. Some brands offer either/or (such as Hyperflex). I also think that a suit with built in hood might be easier to put on with the front zip system that a back zip.

Quality of neoprene, seams, and a good fit are probably more important factors though.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby jdsoohoo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 am

As far as which would work best for kiting, I am thinking you might be referring to how an impact vest or waist harness interacts with the suit. I have a 4/3 back zip and wear it with a tight impact vest and harness and in no way feel uncomfortable or feel the presence of the zipper in any shape or form. However, I own the hyperflex amp-k series which is supposedly kite specific with more padding/ruggedness around the waist so it might be a characteristic of this type of suit.

I have never owned a front zip so I cannot say anything about that (but I did choose the back zip suit since most people say it is easier to get on). Supposedly wearing a rash guard makes it easier to get on and off but I find the legs to get off the hardest, not the chest portion, so I have never tried this.
jdsoohoo
Board Monkey

Postby gbleck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Hyperflex has this odd entry system that is sort of a front zip but not. The zipper is a short horizontal section just below the neck. Flexible on the neck and it's easy on. Little hard to zip at first. Nice for your harness and you can prone paddle also.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby katman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks for the info guys probably going to go with the back zip. From what im reading sounds like the back zip is just fine. Thanks guys!
katman
Board Monkey

Return to Open Forum