What kind of Booties to get?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

What kind of Booties to get?

Postby katman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Hey guys i need to buy some booties to go with my new wetsuit. What brand do you guys use or recommend? Thanks any info will be appreciated. Also what about a hood too? Thanks again!
katman
Board Monkey

Re: What kind of Booties to get?

Postby hammer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 am

Check out coldwater accessories below, don't forget the gloves? Free shipping, no sales tax, AMP 5MM round toe boots paired with hot socks, Access 3/2MM hood w/bib and either the lobster claw 5MM mitts or mesh skin 3MM gloves will keep you smiling in the cold.

http://motorcitykiteboarding.com/kitebo ... ccessories
hammer
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby ironben » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 pm

my vote go for excel and Oneal.
My excel 7 mill works great for really cold water (freezing water) , rubber is soft and you get OK feel for your board.
Oneal for warmer days with the split toe.
i like the vested hood or one going over wet suit to minimize flushing.
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby 4w7s » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I wore O'Neill Freak boots (split toe/high tops) for many many years and while comfortable I felt they always wore out and fell apart way too fast.

I tried Rip Curl and they hurt my feet too much, chafed my toes where the toes is split.

I've been extremely happy with the Hyperflex boots. I have 3mm and 5mm Amp series split toe high tops and am very impressed by how long they are lasting - and I use them a lot, easily over 100 sessions/year - going strong after 2 1/2 years

I personally like the split toe style as I feel they give me better sensation and balance. Some people might not like the split toe, but I feel my foot sloshes around too much without the split toe.

I am not particularly resistant to cold and I've always been fine with the 5mm in cold water. But there is probably a warmth advantage if you can wear a sock under a full boot in the really cold water. I figure if it is that cold it's going to be hard to keep my hands warm anyway...and I don't get that much enjoyment whe mmy hands (or feet) are miserably (and maybe dangerously) cold.

Some drysuits come with full latext socks so you would need a full boot with that.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby katman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:06 pm

thanks for the info guys. Should i go with 5mm boots to start out with or what do you recommend? I know i will eventually need two pairs of booties. And should i go with the split toe or not.
Thanks!
katman
Board Monkey

Postby hammer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 am

It's a personal decision, I prefer round toe 5MM boots because I wear polyolefin hot socks under, the socks help with getting into and out of the boots and add warmth like a thicker MM boot!
hammer
Adrenaline Junkie

Return to Open Forum