Miller 28th

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Miller 28th

Postby FSP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Miller might pop after 1pm...gonna b passing thru to chk it.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Re: Miller 28th

Postby mrgrey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Went there to get a lesson... and absolutely no wind. Lake thermals must have eaten them up. You could see dust kicking up off of the slag pits 5 miles away but thats as far as it went. Strange stuff... it was actually a NE and the heavy WNW was just around the bend. Good lesson in how the lake can affect wind. Windfinder, Ikitesurf, NOAA, and eveyone else had it completely off... anyway got to take away from it that it is too difficult to predice mother nature sometimes..
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 pm

That sux. I know someone that went too. Unfortunately thermal death. Sun kills the wind man...especially those NW-ers at miller!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby adseguy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 pm

mrgrey wrote:Went there to get a lesson... and absolutely no wind. Lake thermals must have eaten them up. You could see dust kicking up off of the slag pits 5 miles away but thats as far as it went. Strange stuff... it was actually a NE and the heavy WNW was just around the bend. Good lesson in how the lake can affect wind. Windfinder, Ikitesurf, NOAA, and eveyone else had it completely off... anyway got to take away from it that it is too difficult to predice mother nature sometimes..

I don't think it's too hard to predict, we just all have to get more experience. I could have told you that would have happened. The water is still very cold and sun is hot. Two years ago my kiwi friend and I went in these conditions and we had barely enough to get going @ Miller, but we were on a 9 and 10 meter at lake street which is like 5 miles away to the East. You want to stay real close to land OR head to Michigan if the forecast can call for it.

Someone should get a Big thread on weather pressures, systems, and thermal effects (both pro and anti thermal).
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm

O well shit happens and I plan on going out to our lakehouse in Knox, IN for some shallow water practice if weekend forcast is good... If anyone ever wants to give it a shot out there lemme know.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I was just passing through and you cant predict all of weather obviously but years have taught me:

If water and air are within 10 to 15ish degrees each other and the high still has strength, then wind will not be affected by the bubble. Miller blew great there all morning when air and water were within that range, and pressure was still alive and well, but then noon time sun broke the range making the gap too far apart between air and water as well as the high was losing steam and likely to move on out. Afternoon would have come back at miller when the sun lowered making the air cooler, and closer to the water temp, but again the high had moved off and lost steam. Much of that could have been monitored online in the gradients but there is always a chance a front will feasibly stall and maintain strength without any rhyme, reason or notification... Its weather and you want to kite!!!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jpavy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 am

I caught a 1.5 hour session at MC from 9:45 to 11:15 am, perfect sideshore but still on the light side for 14m. If forecast holds South Haven should be the spot on Sunday.
jpavy
Chop Wrestler

Postby West » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 am

Adrien, I must say you had me laughing this morning when I read your post........... :lol: it's mother nature, sometime there is no rhyme or reason......"don't know unless you go": never more true than on Ol mother MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!!! like ol Confucius said, "the more you learn, the more you realize how much you DONT know..............."
West
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

Haha...true, true you can't know for sure unless you go, but you can have pretty reasonable expectations. If you have a bad time and are super bummed because you got skunked.....YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Return to Where to Ride Today