Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Postby sklar1000 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:07 am

I am up here from Houston visiting relatives in Chesterton, Indiana. I had a fun ride at Indiana Dunes State Park yesterday. I had read about Miller Beach and Mt Baldy, and assumed riding was permitted. In Texas, there are few if any limitations about where one could ride.However, when I got back and dug into some of the forum topics, I started to wonder if kiteboarding was allowed at the park? When I read about the surfer who had been arrested in Chicago, and the educational efforts you guys have apparently been making, I decided I better ask what is and isn't permitted before I screw something up for the community. Not surprisingly, I am watching the forecast, and hoping that the rabbit delivers wind tomorrow.

Great website, great community.
sklar1000
Kiter Noob

Re: Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Postby adseguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm

I believe their are no restrictions there. Just make sure to follow the signs that say no trespassing due to the dunes fragile nature. Lots have people have landboarded there so I think your OK unless someone else can chime in from that area.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Sunday, April 8th - Indiana Dunes State Park

Postby skysurfr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I can't remember who checked into this one. It may have been Gus. With several free spots close by, I think we decided it wasn't worth negotiating with the State PArks in Indiana. I think it's "not allowed" but not specifically banned. Re-stated...it's not on a list of allowed activities. Last I remember, someone was allowed to finish their session and politely asked "not to do that here anymore". With Miller , Marquette, Beverly Shores, and MC so close and usually empty, it wasn't worth the effort.

Hosier Daddy? Do you remember?

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Where to Ride Today