IKO CERTIFICATIONS!!!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

IKO CERTIFICATIONS!!!

Postby Like To Kite » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:45 pm

The IKO card is very useful and is essential if you would like to ride at Montrose Beach in Chicago or Crandon Park in Miami and to rent equipment almost anywhere in the world. In order to provide IKO certification cards, I would be happy to do skill assessments and check rides!

I will be available in Chicago for 6 weeks from Mid-May through the end of June. I'll keep everyone posted when and where I'm heading out for the day. Please let me know that you would like me to certify you that day. The charge will be 30 per check ride.

There are also options in Florida in April:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10617&p=51425#p51425

And at Tawas in June:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10738&p=51952#p51952

In order to certify you to a certain level, I need to see each skill completed for that particular level. Therefore, if you would like to be IKO Level 3N, you'll start with a self launch, end with a self-rescue in the water and demonstrate all the other skills in between.

Kiteboarder Level 3

Level 3J
Control the riding speed by edging
Consistent riding in both directions

Level 3K
Consistent riding in all directions including upwind
Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules

Level 3L
Change of direction without stopping
Self- rescue and full pack-down in the water

Level 3M
Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
Self launch

Level 3N
Make a toe side turn
Knows the theory and the safety rules for jumping.
Land a basic jump

Thanks so much and looking forward to certifying you!

Happy Kiting!
Last edited by Like To Kite on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Re: IKO CERTIFICATIONS!!!

Postby ironben » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 pm

good thing are coming to Chicago!
I am certified so i am good but this is so important when you need to travel and rent ur stuff.
$30 bucks is super cheap
Thanks Amanda
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby adseguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take advantage of this and get that streamer so you never have to worry about it ever again.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Don't they offer insurance as well (talking IKO).
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby anderson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Before jumping into PASA and IKO insurance plan please read the policy very carefully...I personally would never get one.
---------------------------
North TeamRider 134
SS fuel 11m,9m,7m
Eclispe thruster 14m

Go big crawl home
anderson
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 pm

anderson wrote:Before jumping into PASA and IKO insurance plan please read the policy very carefully...I personally would never get one.

Why not? please share thoughts! THanks
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby anderson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 am

Go to the kiteforum and search for IKO and insurance. There is a very lenghty discussion thread about it.
North TeamRider 134
SS fuel 11m,9m,7m
Eclispe thruster 14m

Go big crawl home
anderson
Resident Windfreak

Postby STF » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 am

anderson wrote:Before jumping into PASA and IKO insurance plan please read the policy very carefully...I personally would never get one.

well people need one to ride Montrose, so thats reason enough
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby skysurfr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:12 pm

To be clear... you need the certification card not the insurance.

Like all insurance, there are 100 excuses thay have not to pay...I assume thats the problem.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Like To Kite » Sat May 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello Everyone!

Stephen and I are packing up in Miami and about to head home to Chicago! We'll be there in about a week from now. Looks like we'll be able to do some certification days at Montrose Beach! Thank you Skysurfer Mike for all the effort concerning the Montrose Certification Days!

Of course the days will be weather dependent. We'll keep in touch and I'll post updates about any days that we're heading out.

If anyone would like assistance meeting the requirements to become IKO Level 3, I would be happy to assist with lessons. Progression DVDs are also an excellent option for review and mastery of kite skills. The Progression DVDs are packed with high quality information. Progression Beginner 2nd Edition and Progression Intermediate Volume 1 are the two DVDs most applicable to the skills needed to become IKO Level 3. I sell these DVDs for 35 each or 64 for the pair. For more info:

http://www.progression.me/videos/type/d ... d-edition/
http://www.progression.me/videos/type/d ... ume-1-dvd/

There is also an excellent Handbook made by IKO and they are a great resource. I sell these for 14:

http://www.ikointl.com/kiteboarding-sho ... ae74bf3f35

My goal is for every kiter to be safe and confident which in turn makes for fun and enjoyable kiting sessions! I am happy to offer any assistance that I can for those that desire to become safe independent riders that are having a blast kiting!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby snowball » Sun May 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Awesome amanda :) I'm looking at some IKO instructor courses.

BTW. For anyone interested $30 is a steal and amanda and them run a really good program. Take advantage of this offer.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby adseguy » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm

I agree. If you are up to par with your kiteboarding, then go get your certification. There is no excuse anymore if you kite at Montrose not to have your streamer.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 am

It's nice when you see someone who really GETS IT!!!!! Amanda really GETS IT; she gives to the kiting community in an honest and complete way, with a lot of her heart and soul...........Thanks Amanda, glad to see you coming back to town, it's always great to have you around the beaches............. :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby matt761 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 pm

It sounds like she offers it but she has yet to deliver on it.

With great hopes of getting certified,
-Matt B.
matt761
Sand Bagger

Postby Like To Kite » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Hello Kiters!

Anyone interested in doing their IKO Certification on Monday 6/25? Thinking either Waukegan or Montrose would be best. Montrose may be more convenient, especially on a weekday, but the wind will be onshore there. If you are interested please let me know your availability and schedule and we'll work out a definite plan.

Matt and anyone else that has been inconvenienced, I do apologize for my lack of availability lately. I am in the process of moving overseas for three years and have put my family and the kite trip to Tawas first. I leave the country July 4th and we'll try to meet up before then. Looks like getting an IKO certification in Chicago continues to be a challenge! :|

Hopefully tomorrow will work for many of us. Thanks so much!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Amanda,

Best of luck on your move and the Chicago area is loosing a great ambassador for this sport.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Like To Kite » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Firstly, thanks so much for all the kind words and well-wishes! It has been an amazing experience working with the Midwest folks. I feel especially grateful for the fact that everyone in the local kite industry such as Mike Szromba at 3ME Kite Sports, Windward Boardshop, Bob at Kite Riders and Henry Lazerow among others are collaborators instead of competitors, what an awesome working environment!

Chicago kiting is so awesome because of the people. How cool for all of us to hop in a car to drive hours away and all kite and camp together, it's a great way to get to know everyone! We've all had so much fun together and I love working with so many friends! Thank you so much for all the great times!

Hopefully everyone can join for a going away get together this Saturday:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10991

Back to the IKO topic, sorry for my diversion. We'll do an IKO certification day tomorrow at Montrose Beach since this will be best with people's work schedules. I'll plan on being there about 3pm until sunset. I'm flexible so please let me know if you'd like to schedule an earlier time. Please see me before you begin kiting to register for the IKO certification card. You will probably find me near the rigging area at Montrose Beach.

Please text, pm or email to confirm for tomorrow if possible. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby Like To Kite » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 am

Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite