Question regarding CL Release

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Question regarding CL Release

Postby schuss8899 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I have an older Takoon bar with the traditional center strap and chicken loop. The release plastic piece pretty much disintegrated and I need to jury rig something. This has to be fairly easy to do (find a fill-in piece for deployment), has anyone had to replace one of these and found something suitable for engaging and disengaging safety mechanism....? Thanks for any input....
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Re: Question regarding CL Release

Postby FSP » Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

an old bar likely has too small a hole for a newer setup that has 3 line widths going through the bar. its not easy to do on the cheap cuz replacing lines and parts can quickly equal a new bar that may be a couple years old from any number of manufacturers. usually something out there compares with all the parts you will change out.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby schuss8899 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 pm

I just want to replace that collar piece, it slides over the pin to retain the loop. I was thinking there has to be something that could duplicate this collar, it would be something easily grabbed and would have to have a hole diameter of about 1/2 inch. Something at Home Depot or something commonplace sitting around, I could make something out of wood. Take a doweling and drill a hole, something like a larger thread spool. It has a natural shape to grab and activate and the right size hole to hold the pin in place. I might have just solved my problem, thanks for the mull session.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 pm

ive seen even reputable brands, QRs on the market not work right...and so are u sure you want the most important life saving part to potentially release on its own do something else unknowingly? This collar you need and ur going to make could have some surprises based on all the parts and QRs, i have dealt with. I would just replace the whole thing to know things have been tested and you can count on it when it comes to load, water influences, fit,wear, strength, etc....
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby schuss8899 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree, it has to be well thought out and tested. It really is a simple design and fairly flawless in how it works. I am just doing it as a short term fix and not planning to engage anywhere that would test the equipment to its limit, so I am confident of its integrity and deployment.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum