its bullshit to lock a topic

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

its bullshit to lock a topic

Postby jensmadwind » Wed May 16, 2012 6:46 am

title says it all
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Re: its bullshit to lock a topic

Postby jensmadwind » Wed May 16, 2012 6:56 am

Mike,

i tried to send you a pm about this but seeing as how everytime I used your screen name I got this response
The requested users to be added do not exist

why don't you go find some wind and stop worring about whats going on on the forum.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Wed May 16, 2012 9:33 am

There were two discussions going on there. One constructive and one destructive.

Go start a kite sales ethics discussion. Just leave names and personalities out of it.

There's a fine line between a constructive discussion on a topic and flaming someone on a message board and everyone else enjoying the drama. This one crossed the line.

I hadn't read any of it until I started getting face to face questions and private messages.

Feel free to start a new topic on how old kites should be sold or marketed.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby FSP » Wed May 16, 2012 5:00 pm

so what would the issue exactly be Jens?: to not use original manufacturer marketing descriptions when selling older kites as it might not still apply when sold many years later compared to new innovation?

And so if this is the issue, then how would a seller truly know negative hype, vs positive regarding some old kite he means to flip? I mean kite flippers couldnt actually go out and fully test it, not to mention that would be biased too.

Another irony is that some new kites will come out that will essentially be duds much like what the access was. And so how do you sort that out since not everyone can go and buy brand new SS gear potentially not gaining all that much for where they are at in their learning.

Problem is you cant change the fact that some people dont have the money to go new or newer and cant be shut down from some older gear to get started.
Last edited by FSP on Wed May 16, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Coleo » Wed May 16, 2012 5:23 pm

I know I'm new on this forum and everything, but even I was relieved to see that flame fest get locked. It was going no where.
Coleo
Board Monkey

Postby IVO » Wed May 16, 2012 6:40 pm

FSP wrote:
Problem is you cant change the fact that some people dont have the money to go new or newer and cant be shut down from some older gear to get started.

You are right Scoty,some people doesnt have enough funds to go for newer gear,thats why the whole "kite flipping story" doesnt sound right to me because you have buyers on the other side which could be college student as well,buying gear from me and selling to you,packeting difference in this small community where most knows who is who doesnt soung good again,I cant change that,but

did you noticed what Artem did on the second day of this?

Re: Will Buy Your Used Kites/Boards/Harnesses/Bar/lines
by Artem » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm

BUMP I got lots of kites in this week but always looking for more gear. Let me know what you guys have please no pre 2005/2006.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem

so as everything in life every action has its own reaction,that topic made a impact on this community,some took it positive some as a personal atack,at the end of the day I applaud to Artem,I dont agree on what both guys are doing,but atleast WE are going to be dealing with less crappy gear on OUR beaches because of that.

Lock the Topic?To me conversation was done,but that section is called OPEN FORUM<NOT LOCKED FORUM>Doesnt matter if you agree or not as long as there is not name calling.ect,The worst is be unable to say anything.

If I made some typo again,sorry again,this is my 4th language not a first :lol:

KUDOS TO YOU JENS!

edit.Mile let me know where are you heading out next time,I bough SUP and need flat water and no wind for practice :twisted:
Last edited by IVO on Wed May 16, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 pm

I don't think the topic should have been locked either. I'm not going to take off the lock or anything as the discussion was (in my mind) pretty much discussed and over.

Mike, your threshold of personal attack is low on this one. Henry was slightly attacked at the beginning, but the topic quickly didn't become about him, but ethical, philosophical, and even market principals all of which were fair game in my opinion. If it had become a flame fest it would have been locked up FAST. I'm gonna go off topic here, but that's what I am not fond of in America. People don't seem to deal well with attacks on character (different from personal). If your character or idea is flawed, you can always change that or at least stand up, defend it, and be proud if you feel your opinion is right. People quickly change this to personal attacks and hate starts to spew when it's all simply a difference of opinion. It's OK to have a different opinion and still respect each other...happens all over the world.

Anyway, I disagree with your action, but I can't wait too kite with yah buddy. I'll make sure you are 300+ miles away so I get the best winds :lol: (j/k...the 3 year curse is almost over)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Good decision Mike.

Enough is enough.

The ironies, as usual, are poetic.
Just because there's no "law" it's ok to do... (fill in the blanks)

And still people are compelled to get their last jabs in no matter what.

IMO/Perhaps more productive for anyone concerned to start a fresh thread about" old kites vs new or guideline and ethics of resale" without all the tar and feathers
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 pm

The subject/issue is not dead which is all that matters... not trying to prove what the seller knew or didnt know about the marketing material he used for his promo, bad intentions etc..which is impossible, so a new topic post is productive and picks up the issue where it was left off.

I am interested to know the issues with kite flipping as i inquired about above, because its not clear cut what is going to be acceptable when you sell something and how to describe it, not to mention who is going to be the authority on what can or cannot be claimed as accurate, as well as what or not should be sold to who (newb/expert) and so on...
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Rorke » Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am

I agree with the lock. Valid points were made, and it wasn't going anywhere.

I have a hunch that a lesson may have even been learned.

A new topic should be started and made into a sticky in the "Gear for Sale" section.

That could help kiting.
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 am

When people are sending me pm's and stopping me at the beach and telling me that I need to do something about "that thread", it's a pretty good litmus test that something needs to be done.

Something being to delete it, lock it, split it up, or move it.

The most effective way to moderate this thread was to lock it, throw the brakes on, and give everyone a moment to reflect etc.

I agree that a topic discussing ethics and kite sales would be interesting.

Also remember that more people read than comment. We have always tried to make this forum a place where you can ask a question, confess a sin etc and not get flamed. If we want new kite boarders to feel comfortable here, we need to create a welcoming environment.

I'm heading out of town.... Enjoy the wind. Lol!
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby anderson » Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 pm

I can't believe I missed the soup opera :shock:

Well, I love when I get a whole season marathon to watch at once over a windless weekend. :lol:
---------------------------
North TeamRider 134
SS fuel 11m,9m,7m
Eclispe thruster 14m
---------------------------

Go big crawl home
anderson
Resident Windfreak

Postby noabacca » Fri May 18, 2012 8:07 pm

“All the above content is West's opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. West cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Return to Open Forum