Slingshot turbine 17M

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Slingshot turbine 17M

Postby ironben » Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 am

I was just wondering if anyone one here has one. what you think about it? etc etc.
I am thinking about getting new kite to replace my 13.5 kahoona and trying to decide between 14-15m or light wind kite like turbine.
my next kite up is 12M RPM
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Re: Slingshot turbine 17M

Postby dbur » Fri May 25, 2012 2:30 pm

I have turbine, (so stopped using kahoona 13.5), my friends have Infinitiy v1 and v2 which I like better than Turbine - turning is a lot faster, Turbine has more grunt though, in either case I only use these kite out of desperation
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby 4w7s » Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Come try the Core 15m XR2 LW. It's a great kite and is my light wind weapon. Turns fast, light/medium bar pressure, super easy inflate, good hangtime, really easy self launch/water relauch. The kite also has great top end.

I'm only 160# but if I was heavier I'd consider the Core 17m or 19m which are both quick turning agile kites for that size.

The new Core Sensor bar is awesome too.

Kites and bars sold seperately.

I can have kites shippped direct to you r you pick up.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat May 26, 2012 11:11 am

There are so many quality kites on the market to choose from now....what a gooooood problem to have. One thing I think is of the utmost importance in continuing your progression, is to fly the SAME kite in different sizes; the bar pressure is similar, the response is similar, the rigging is similar. By flying the same kites all the time, your skills will continue to improve dramatically versus flying different kites for varying conditions.

Find a kite that matches your style and pocketbook, and stick with 'em!!!!!!!!! :wink:

just my two cents Ben
West
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Yes, there are quite a few good light wind kites out there these days, which has actually made bigger kites even more enjoyable and attractive for me as well. However I think that flying different brands/models of kites in various sizes is not necessarily a bad thing though.

What West suggests might be true especially if you are comparing the handling of a 21m FS (foil) to a 11m Best GP ...but then again they are designed to do compeltely different things- but people have great success with both depending on their needs.. If the handling of the kite is THAT much different and you don't ride often enough to adapt your technique automatically/comfortably...then I might tend to agree. Many people have inflatables in small/medium sizes and end up going for a big foil becasue it works for them. It might be likened to playing golf in the morning and tennis in the afternoon - completely different swings, but many people still do it with great results.

I often ride several different brands or models and sizes of kites on the same day, depending on the wind or other conditions. My personal preference in the 9-15+ size is for a fairly fast kite, whereas the smaller kites I don't mind if they are "relatively" slower. A small kite that is too nervous or twitchy or flys too far forward all the time is just shite to fly IMO, especially in the waves. I have full quivers in several different kites and switch according to my taste at the time.

But since the focus is more about big kites here - the most important thing is how the kite feels to YOU. I personally like light-medium bar pressure, fast turning, stable, easy relaunch, good drift, good high and low end range...others might like heavier bar pressure, more/less grunt, etc. etc..

If possible you should try the kite and see how YOU like it. Sometimes people have different reactions to a particular kite. And whether the kite is big or small they all feel a little (or sometimes a lot) different to me. So a test drive is always a nice thing to do.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Sat May 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Heres the ss history on turbine to Z:

The key replaced the turbine which was their true bow that would ride overhead but great depower. Inbetween the turbine and the key came the octane, which was same as the turbine, but incorporated their first delta wing but also with pulleys. The pulleys caused the kite to "wander" a bit and so then came the key which eliminated the pulleys making it a more direct input and changed the bridling to sit a hint lower in the window for what might be a touch more pull. Now they have the Z which is the key but with different bridaling and more c shape to sit much lower in the window.

I like the key cuz it absorbs gusts having some bow in it but turns cuz of the delta and sits perfectly not too overhead for pull, with no pulleys to delay input.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Sat May 26, 2012 6:32 pm

FSP wrote:Heres the ss history on turbine to Z:

The key replaced the turbine which was their true bow that would ride overhead but great depower. Inbetween the turbine and the key came the octane, which was same as the turbine, but incorporated their first delta wing but also with pulleys. The pulleys caused the kite to "wander" a bit and so then came the key which eliminated the pulleys making it a more direct input and changed the bridling to sit a hint lower in the window for what might be a touch more pull. Now they have the Z which is the key but with different bridaling and more c shape to sit much lower in the window.

I like the key cuz it absorbs gusts having some bow in it but turns cuz of the delta and sits perfectly not too overhead for pull, with no pulleys to delay input.

Now I'm all confused!?!!? lol :wink:
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Artem » Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Let me give you the short and sweet breakdown...... Anything bigger then 12m sucks period. You don't need anything bigger then a 12m. I haven't had a 12m kite in months :shock:
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby West » Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 pm

You got me rollin' Youngbuck..........My quiver consists of a 7m and 3 9m kites, my next kite will be another 7m........cause it's all fun and games until you blow-up your 7m on a CLASSIC day.........and here I was thinkin' you had no clue Artem..... :lol:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Sat May 26, 2012 11:40 pm

FSP wrote:Heres the ss history on turbine to Z:

Actually, the Z now replaces the Key as the entry kite in SLingshots line-up, but as with any kite these days, entry level can also mean it does a lot of things really well, just doesn't exceed at anything.

The Rally and RPM round out the bridled line-up for SS.

The Turbine is based off of the Rally platform and has some design differences compared to the smaller Rally's to make it more efficient in lighter winds.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby ironben » Sun May 27, 2012 10:44 am

Artem wrote:Let me give you the short and sweet breakdown...... Anything bigger then 12m sucks period. You don't need anything bigger then a 12m. I haven't had a 12m kite in months :shock:

lol
good one, and i agree, however not everyone here is having 150lb body :D
Some of us needs a bigger kite to get going (200 lb needs more kite- i know :evil: )
i'm not looking for riding in 8 kts ether, but sometimes i'm on trip where is light 12-15 kts at the most. it would be fun to get wet and do "something"
lots of people here ride 15m kites, which are "slow and boring"
so guess my question is, is it wort it to go with 15M or just go with a light machine kite 16-17 m before u jump on ur 12m (fun part)?
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby 4w7s » Sun May 27, 2012 11:06 am

With the right big kite I think you can have a lot of fun in light wind.
and if ye can't have fun maybe something else is wrong.

(I'm saying in the 12-14 kt range as light wind for a heavier rider on a freestyle or wave board. Less if you are on a race board but I'd rather sail a good boat in those conditions)
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Sun May 27, 2012 11:30 pm

ss told me the rally and rpm were more c hybrids and the key, octane and turbines were more bow oriented??? also said that every single model is bridled different which is possibly greater than the design itself for making them deal with gusty riding, upwindability and pull.. I noticed this when i rode each of them.

They said the z was a hybrid c with a delta wing that just had less durability to make it cost effective.

Any new kite that comes out with a new name was explained to simply be done for marketing spark and depending on the success thats how they stick with a design or not.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum