06 cabrina, tear in canopy

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

06 cabrina, tear in canopy

Postby rookie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 pm

where are we sending kites for repair? thinking of junking if to much$$, this kite inverted on me I should have pull emergency, it relaunched and tore the length of a strut on the seam 3 foot and a foot on main bladder seam, looks like easy fix. thanks for any help. idea on cost?
rookie
Wind Chaser

Re: 06 cabrina, tear in canopy

Postby Northerner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 am

Many of us send kites to Dorsal Sails in Door county. Charlie the owner is a kiter and their turn around time is faster then other places. Work is done well and the cost is fair.

http://www.doorsail.com/

As for price its hard to tell but I'd think $75-150 but that's just a guess without seeing it
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby rookie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 am

thanks , ok thinking about buying a hand held sewing machine and doing myself, anyone doing this??
rookie
Wind Chaser

Postby Northerner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 am

No, not sure about kite repair as it can get tricky with canopy tension and lofting, but I am churning my own butter and tooling my own leather.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 am

If this doesnt involve struts and cutting away seams that need to be re-sewn...North Sails on elston may be able to do the job for you. We had an issue with an impatient and full on rude kiter and they may not be accepting kites anymore. Ask for Luke, he does the repairs. Also...make sure all, that's 110% of the sand is off the kite. They run a sail loft not a sandbox. Sand doesnt mix with sewing machines.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby rookie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:12 pm

thanks, Mike, Yes most of the rip is all factory seam, maybe 1 foot I would need to patch, thought somebody out their tried themselves to repair.
rookie
Wind Chaser

Return to Open Forum