Feel one year older?Nahhh..

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Feel one year older?Nahhh..

Postby IVO » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:32 pm

West is the crazy Texan Pete taught to Windsurf who went on to become one of the best Windsurfers
at the Gorge & Maui where he lived for 20 over years. West was a puriest to the sport and never really
competed much at Windsurfing, but all the locals knew he was the Dude that Ripped it up on the Big Days...
Brad Vencour

Happy birthday BROther,may your days are filled with elephants marching on your horizon to the fullest,you are true inspiration to us all!

Trooper
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Re: Feel one year older?Nahhh..

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 am

Ah yeah totally forgot! Happy Birthday West!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby West » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:34 am

thanks Trooper....although I am starting to feel my 30 years.....that is bout 30 years of chasing the wind!!!!

never could have dreamed that I would have as much fun kiting as I did windsurfing, but I sure do, and a BIG part of that is the crew I kite with on the BIG LAKE.......in fact, I am packing up the little grey pickup and heading over to the Michigan side for several days.....chasin' the wind to do a couple of downwinders along the dunes somewhere.......could be around da haven, maybe the Mecca, or even up at betsie...all I know is that I will be laying down some turns, and hooting and hollering with my bros :D :D :D

The pic is down at the Marina, after a dwndr from Viento Park ...... with my brother n law Sean who lives there, Jimbo from kzoo, and Rex ( a long time friend from my windsurfing days in Austin, the Gorge, and Maui). Cool thing about it is that Sean bought a 15 person van to shuttle kiters from the marina to Viento for kiting downwinders, thru the windy and scenic Gorge corridor; 25 years ago Rex and I pioneered that downwinder on our windsurfers....and there we were kiting that same stretch of river.............FULL CIRCLE!!!!!!!!!

All the windy days blend into one, it's the friendships you make along the way that stand out. :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby jensmadwind » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:52 am

happy birthday buddy !!!!!

I will never forget the day that spawned the WI kiter debate on the forum. North blow in Sheboygan, best wave conditions I had been out in up to that point. I just didn't know what to do with the waves (which pissed off the windsurfers, one of which bashed our lack of wave riding etiquette) until I saw West on his best yarga c kite and short lines going down the line(switch, not that I knew that back then), his kite leading him through the countless turns and it started to dawn on me what I was supposed to be doing out there. The flow of inspiration and tutorials has not stopped or even slowed. For those Lake MI kiters out there who don't know, its Wests lake, we are lucky to be able to ride it with him.

Here is a little slice of Maui for your Bday
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Rainmann » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:59 am

Happy Birthday West!
Have a great weekend riding the beautiful coastline of Pure Michigan!
-Ray
Rainmann
Pump Master

Postby Pier » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 am

Happy Bday West!

I wish I could join you guys this weekend.

Slash few waves for me if you have a chance... :wink:
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Resident Windfreak

Postby maly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:34 am

Wow, I didn't know it than , but I've got one of my first kiteboarding lessons from a "Legend" , at Koshkonong .
Happy Bday West !!! I like your posts on this forum , they are more spiritual/friendship oriented than technical ,
whole new experience.
Mario
maly
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Northerner » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Congrats West on never slowing down.

Enjoy your birthday kite trip, we'll take care of this side of the lake for ya

Jens have I ever been to the place where West is riding in those shots? Looks like home a bit
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby JDL » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:53 am

The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give your gift away.

Dude gets it....
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby anderson » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:05 pm

The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give your gift away.

Very wise words JDL

West, congrats.
---------------------------
North TeamRider 134
SS fuel 11m,9m,7m
Eclispe thruster 14m
---------------------------

Go big crawl home
anderson
Resident Windfreak

Postby manasty » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Not that anyone doubted, but West passed by us at the Mecca Friday night hooting and hollering!!
manasty
Board Monkey

Postby West » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 am

Kind words gentleman, I appreciate it........now that my bday wknd is over you can get back to poking fun at me :D

When I was first learning to kite, I was given various pieces of equipment and wetsuit accessories by some of the chicago crew; V, Greg, Shawn and Scottie G. It really reinforced for me the right attitude to have in this developing sport....helping and supporting those learning. Kiting was very daunting and dangerous to learn back then, and it is and always will be to some degree, so keeping an eye out for your buddies and even those you don't know is critical for maintaining a safe scene....always lend a helping hand!!!!!!!!! :wink:

As for the 4 day South blow the last wknd....started at lsp and finished at betsie.....daily downwinders, many based on absolute faith and the shakin' of the rocks, cause it was a bit light at all departures, but picked up as we continued and hammered on the finish!!!!!!! The conditions were not tremendous, but the scenery and camaraderie were overwhelming......I camped out every night under the stars with the sounds of a babbling stream, the wind thru the trees, or the yapping of coyotes in the distance!!!!! Sunny skies, sandy dunes, deserted beaches, restored lighthouses, windy days, smoked fish, fresh asparagus, sweet corn, ripe strawberries.......and alot of driving on back roads, gravel paths, and sand tracks......as much kiting as my ol' knee could handle.

Many memories from the trip, but foremost were two rather peculiar kiting highlights........on the evening of our first downwinder from Frankfort to Betsie, there were several children playing in the sand on the beach, 3 boys and a girl between the ages of 6 and 8. They appeared to be building sand castles. As we rigged I kept hearing a seagull call. After several of these calls I realized that the young girl was mimicking a seagull....I laughed and told her that she sounded just like a seagull. She responded that she and her friends were trying to lure in a seagull and catch it in the sand.......As we finished rigging and departed she continued her calls, giggling the whole time. I answered her a few times with my own "novice" attempts, and she would just laugh and demonstrate her mastery of the sound we all know so well!!!!!!!!!! During the rest of our trip, we all would give a whole-hearted attempt at sounding like a seagull, never with anywhere near the effect the young girl displayed........the second highlight was on the next evening's downwinder along the same route. I had just come around the high dunes downwind of Frankfort and started skirting the shoreline where the trees line the beach, when I came across a family that was gathered around a campfire waiting on the sun to set into the golden-hued waters. As I passed them I came right next to shore and laid down a turn just inches off the sand, and as I came out of my turn I caught the scent of a birch log burning. At each of several beach turns that followed as I continued my downwind cruise , I would get a whiff of that "birch log burning" as it wafted on down the coast; in the cool air of the lake, in the evening light reflected off the dunes, in the transition of heelside to toeside, in the moment that possesed me, it represented what it was......PURE MICHIGAN!!!!!

I say it all the time.....because to me it is what really matters. It's not the big jumps, cool transitions, or outrageous turns that make what we do so special. It's the whole experience of sharing a magical thing with others and immersing yourself in a passion. Enjoy life, and recoginize we are just part of the circle!!!!!!!!!! Now you can make fun of me for referencing THE LION KING.......happy kiting............
West
Wind Whore

Postby Larkey Parka » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 am

Too many epic days with this cowboy to count.
Honestly, West is the first guy I saw and said "wholly shit I want to be able to ride like that guy" and he's inspired me ever since. Style, class and caring about the other guy, a true gem.
Playing out in Marionette Park this weekend cowboy, 115 Burbon Street if you're around.
Love to see ya
ian (John Henry to you)
Larkey Parka
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm

The stoke is strong in this one. Keep it up West.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby V » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I remember the first time I met West at Montrose (didn't really meet, just me yelling at him from the water for breaking the rules)... :twisted: A long time later it turned out to be West when he told me the story of first coming here and rigging up at Montrose and some dude yelling at him and kicked him off the beach from the water. I realized that was me, and told him I was just yelling to rig up on the other side by the bird fence (that was originally our spot). So years later we got moved to where West originally just "felt" he should rig up - somehow sensing this was the way it should be - later to be proved right!!! 8)

Funny stuff. That dude who I thought at first was a kook turned into a legend of the lake with ninja-sense. We laughed and had a beer on that.

I gotta hand it to West, he is relentless on the chase. Happy Bday.

PS Jens that is a Caution, not a Best, you bum...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:57 pm

i am almost positive that he was riding a hand me down Best kite, I think it was one of the sheboygan crews. the photos are a Caution kite cause they were taken a couple years later.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum