Plugged nose after a session

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Plugged nose after a session

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 am

I'm not sure if there's been a thread about this topic, if so please stear me to it. Probably 85% of the time, after a good session on the lake my nose gets totally plugged up and sometimes drips for 24-48 hours. I've heard of several solutions including neti pot, needleless syringes shot into the nostrils after a session, over the counter nose sprays and antihistimine pills, prescription nose sprays and sinus pills etc. I'm interested in who has had this problem and has found a solution that works for them.

I've found the neti pot works sometimes and sometimes not. I'm just experimenting now with Nasonex.
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Re: Plugged nose after a session

Postby ironben » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:35 am

well , I have the same thing.
it is something in the water. this happen in different parts of the year.
try something for allergy. I get this at Wolf and Lake Michigan.
Nasty stuff we drinking
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Jimbo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Hey Ben!

The best thing I have found for sinus spray is a product called "Xlear" with Xylitol. I use it for everything, I keep it my car and use it asap when I am done Kiting, colds, allergies. :D
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby adseguy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:02 pm

I think Jimbo has the right idea. Whatever it is you use, make sure to use it right away. I personally use the netipot if I start getting the stuffy nose after sessions. Like Ben said it's only certain times of the year for some reason. Never in the spring.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:53 am

Yep I used to get the same thing. Never in spring and always in lakes with a high algae and organic matter count. Winnebago and Green bay was the worst place for me for years. So I think it is our sinuses reacting to organic matter being rammed up our noses during big crashes. 1-3 days I could not taste food as my sinuses became so inflamed.

Solution for me was Rhinocort. I have tried other versions of the nose spray but this works the best by far. Its not cheap at all in here, but insurance should cover it. In Bangkok I could buy the exact same product made by the same company for $7.25 a bottle here it retails for around $200.

Thats just one of many great things about our pro-corporate free market system. Oh and don't forget the fact our country is the only industrialized nation to profit from sickness. Vote Mitt 2012.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:09 am

My doc says it's definately an alergic reaction to something in the water. When I asked him what he said "I don't know. There's no study I know of that's tested alergic reactions to algae blooms in fresh water lakes." Is that Rhinocort a prescription? And are you supposed to use it daily all summer or just after a session? They say Nasonex is supposed to be used daily though I'm trying it first just after sessions.
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:05 am

I don't think it is just the lake water. When I was riding on the North sea back home I had it every time as well after each session.Even on my last week trip to the Caribbean my nose got stuffed after a good kiting session (and I am not talking about other things that you can stuff your nose with :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I think it is more your body responding when your nose gets flushed by water after a good crash. I see it as when you get a cut it bleeds at first and after a watery solution starts to cover the wound to start the healing process.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Northerner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:27 am

Rhino court is prescription. I use it 2-3 times a week during the summer and early fall and then before or after a session. No problems at all after using the product.

Now if I can only do something about my mass amounts of ear wax discharge
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum