Will the So Haven Forecast Stick?? Wed 6/20

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Will the So Haven Forecast Stick?? Wed 6/20

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Never made it away from work to get my butt over to da Hāve the last couple days but seems like the wind wasn't cooperating the whole time either. Hoping to try my luck tomorrow... anyone else?!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Will the So Haven Forecast Stick?? Wed 6/20

Postby skysurfr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:29 am

I can't say for today, but the past two days it fell apart. Yesterday the AM crew got in a down-winder.... that was it. It was 10 knots the rest of the day. On Monday we Rode 12M / 10M the second half of the day in good wind, but only after 3 pm.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 am

Also the South HAven wind meter was showing 15 knots and the wind was actually around 8 knots all day.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 am

skysurfr wrote:Also the South HAven wind meter was showing 15 knots and the wind was actually around 8 knots all day.

Mike

You gonna give it another whirl today Mike?
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Bryce FLK » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 am

I want to go this afternoon but I am afraid the 2 hr drive will be wasted. I have been watching this link from holland...

http://www.spyglasshill.com/Webcam/Default2.htm

Anyone have any other live cams?
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby maly » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:59 am

skysurfr wrote:Also the South HAven wind meter was showing 15 knots and the wind was actually around 8 knots all day.

Mike

.....until you left Mike, we rode from 6pm till after 8 on 13s and 12s , nothing spectacular just smooth awesome sunset sesh. Sorry mike :- )
Mario
maly
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby 737flyboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey Bryce,
Feel your pain brother..to drive or not to drive...

Here are a couple of places guys have shared with me to help ease the pain a bit:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search. ... E&dist=250

Click on the hyperlink for CHII2 and it will take you to a page for the crib off Montrose...best of all it will show you a small map under the pick of the Wx instrument on the right side. If you zoom out on that map (-) you can see all the current observations around the lake and some more web cams with time loops on some where you can actually catch guys kiting (Muskegon).

This intel along with comparing the wind forecast maps on sailflow/ikite (over time) will give you a good feel for what kind of day to roll the dice on.

Cheers,

John
Keep the Blue Side Up.
737flyboy
Wind Chaser

Postby IVO » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm

skysurfr wrote:I can't say for today, but the past two days it fell apart. Yesterday the AM crew got in a down-winder.... that was it. It was 10 knots the rest of the day. On Monday we Rode 12M / 10M the second half of the day in good wind, but only after 3 pm.

Mike

Ohhh Mike,I can say there is big crowd who would highly disagree with you :lol: Monday 9m,South Haven to Oval,23some miles,I could barely hold my kite down at the end,soooo damnnnn windy..finished up with sunset session at Haven,fish tacos,camping,beer,wash rinse repeat,Tuesday South Haven to Blue stairs,very light at the beginning,but after just a mile or so,wind picked up and we finished with full bloom again:)It was kinda funny that wind was hiding just behind the corner.That brings me to more important topic!

As a new manager of Mike,I cant disclose all details yet,but as of now the Mackinac sail Race 2012 was canceled.I'll be contacting organizers of the race and be demanding ransom.If they dont accept our proposal,they could be playing with the miniatures in the hot tub,since Mike and I will pay visit to the "start" of the famous race.If they want wind,they better start saving,just saying cause I know couple guys here do sail .Show us the money!!!!

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:

I had blast,month and half of winds every weekend?Might be!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 pm

So for those of us mowing the local launch lawn, as opposed to trekking down down the coast - hoots & hollas echoing off the land.... what the heck has been going on at da Hāve the last 3 days???! There seemed to have been wind everywhere else but there! Looks like it was over by 12:30 Eastern today so I didn't even bother!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:29 am

the smell of fructose corn syrup, same board shorts for 4 days, jp in the drivers seat, rotten bananas, burnt tire rubber, vinyl, tourists and purrrrrrre local michiiiiiigan. 4 days, bare ballin it in some and with some of the finest, big and cloud high. right times, right place and right knowledge from those that know got us dialed into some new wind i thought never existed.

time to rest up for the back side thermals that were riding us just before, out the back door and ready to score..time the rhyme. gonna b a long hot and cool windy summer.

say it with me and like u mean.. it and it will deliver..puuuuuree michigan!!!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 am

Nice FSP. We got it real good here over the past week. Rode 6 out of 8 days with wind 7 out of 8. Lots of 12 meter and with ankle to knee wind chop. Monday we had 8 meter and shoulder to head high waves in the late morning, sweet strapless session. Then by 4 the wind turned off shore and ended the day on SUPs in clean shoulder high waves. Yesterday the place was on fire with clean side shore high winds all day.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:48 am

Ivo- You get 1% less tax! I'm the one with the wind whammy! :-P

Yes, I could have ridden Sunday night, but it was a grass cutting session. I watched for 35 minutes and then motored home.

The wind meter looked better yesterday over there. Anyone go?
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby ironben » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 am

It’s crazy how this wind works sometime. For sure local knowledge and experience play big role in predicting the right spot to ride.
I like what northerner is doing to community, High Five to him.Wish more be doing the same.
I almost went to SH myself, but instead I stayed at Wolf. ridden there 4 of 5 days. you can’t beat that. :D
Monday strong and with some gust, but a really good day on 7M. Wednesday the smoothesssss day as long as I can remember, not just on Wolf but on Lake Michigan.
I guess i got the new nick name WOLFMAN lol
Till next storm!
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Possible kiting tomorrow? Where to kite...please respond

Postby ellekite » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Im from Ohio, in Chicago and the wind looks good later on tomorrow. will anyone be kiting? Where are the best places to go? I am pretty new. can ride both directions, transition, upwind except for when the wind is light. probably pasa 2. please let me know. Thanks--Laura 440.263.7970 calling or texting would be best.
ellekite
Kiter Noob

Return to Where to Ride Today