7/7-7/8 at St. Joseph/Benton Harbor

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

7/7-7/8 at St. Joseph/Benton Harbor

Postby robroy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the sport, but I've practiced quite a bit with a trainer, and recently had the opportunity to take lessons in Ft. Meyers Fl. The advice of my instructor in Fl was to just get out and practice what I've learned as he felt I was safe enough after 8 hours of instruction over the course of three days to stop with the formal lessons.

I'm a physical therapist by trade, and serve as medical officer with a National Guard Special Forces unit, so I'm very safety conscious, understand the importance of training, and I'm not a rule breaker by nature. I am planning to be in the St Joseph/Benton Harbor MI area this weekend to meet family from the Kalamazoo area. I noticed the wind reports are looking pretty good on windfinder.com. I'm wondering if anybody with some experience is going to be in that area who would be willing to meet up with a novice who is not familiar with the area, or kiteboarding on Lake Michigan in general.

As long as the weather holds out, I'll be out both days.

Rob
robroy
Board Monkey

Re: 7/7-7/8 at St. Joseph/Benton Harbor

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:04 pm

St Joe sounds like a fun day to do. If the weather really holds I might drive up to St Joe and have a good day at the beach.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby robroy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Good, I'm open to suggestions on the best spot in that area to launch from. You can text me at 815-931-9249. I'll check the forum also before heading out.

Rob
robroy
Board Monkey

Postby Bryce FLK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Would love to join everyone 7/8 on my way through. Ill keep an eye on the forecast as well. It looks really light right now.....
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby billg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey robroy,
just a heads up on St. Joe, Silver Beach will be very busy. Launch is up at the base of the pier, narrow area before swim zone. If you end up down wind of the swim zone make sure you get to shore before the water intake plant. The beach ends there and it is all rocks for several miles. Windsurfed 25+ years in that area and did several rescues past the plant- not pretty down there when the waves are big. good luck, BG
billg
Board Slinger

Postby robroy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 pm

BG,
Thanks for the advice. After reading the Where to Ride info I was thinking more along the lines of Warren Dunes State Park, just south of Weko Beach. However, I'm open to suggestions for any beach in this general vicinity. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Especially if it keeps me off the rocks :)
Rob
robroy
Board Monkey

Postby foxzone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 am

Hi Robroy,
I plan to go to Michigan City beach early afternoon. I was there yesterday afternoon and had some rides.
foxzone
Board Slinger

Postby sledgeman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 am

If the winds come back up today, which is the forecast, I will be either at St. Joe's or Warren Dunes State Park (preferred as there is much more open area). Feel free to text me if you'll be around: 865-386-8609 (Ryan).
sledgeman
Kiter Noob

Return to Where to Ride Today