The NEXT BIG THING in kitesurfing

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

The NEXT BIG THING in kitesurfing

Postby aerogreg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi guys,
I’ve been researching kitesurfing trends for my uni project and I’d like to ask you guys whether these are the main trends in kite design (I’d really appreciate your input, thanks):
- Companies are trying to design the smallest possible kite with the highest possible pulling power.
- Main recent innovations include the relaunch system, bow design and reduction in number of control lines.
- Kitesurfers mostly want kites that can be used in a broad wind speed range.
- The majority of kitesurfers like agile and manoeuvrable kites (in other words direct response is better than slow, sluggish response in kite control).
I’d like to get a better view of how the kites are developing in terms of new features and technical innovations.
I’m a newbie when it comes to actual kitesurfing - but I’m starting my training in a few weeks :) – so any input would mean a lot.
Thanks guys,
Greg
aerogreg
Kiter Noob

Re: The NEXT BIG THING in kitesurfing

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:37 pm

New features and a Hype that came this year less struts and the Delta C shape kites like the best waroo, fone bandit, North has one as well. More focus on safety, waiting at the edge of the wind window after a relaunch. Kites became a lot more safe over the last years. I haven't seen a pulley bar out on the water since 2004 LOL.

Bow kites, more useful surface while flying, it became more like a wing profile of an airplane. I remember the first Crossbows from Cabrinha they used to twist a lot after a crash. Haven't seen that anymore on the newer Crossbows.

Use of different type of fabric to make em lighter.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby FSP » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 pm

great subject..

Well, 1st off there are 5 disciplines in kitesurfing that were designed to address different styles (wakestyle, freeride, wave, snow and race). Then there are all the various conditions that occur in each of our riding locations such as kiting with water currents vs none, gusty vs. steady, and strong vs light. I think each category would have to be innovated independently to maintain what that rider seeks and the conditions they deal with. I hate it when i get used to a kite that was designed for me and my area lets say, and for the sake of marketing/innovation, they borrow from another category and IMO confuse the purpose of that kite when i go to buy the damn newer model..please leave it alone!!!

Seems for example the wake (c-kite) cant really be innovated so dont mess with it. And when it comes to steady and strong winds, many modern kites do well and dont need any more innovation. Gusty and/or light on the other hand could use more innovation to steady out the kite while still maintaining pull and turning ability, but doubt there is anything they havnt tried.

Finally..then there is the question of how easy would you want it to become anyway? I mean right now the challenges vs safety it offers is great, making it a sport!

Far Into the future i want a mini blimp with helium and a new age motor that you fly without wind that never falls for when im 90!! Also would like some, artifical reefs created, and a big plunger in the middle to send off waves. Maybe throw some salt in and make it an ocean and big heat coils in the winter to keep it warm for those cold fronts to go ballistic. let me know?
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby aerogreg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 pm

hehe, thanks for the insights and your looks for the future.
One thing I noticed in a kitesurfing video...do you guys know what's meant by "low end torque", seems to me it has to do with moments on the kite.

Thanks again, have fun on the board!
aerogreg
Kiter Noob

Postby adseguy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Nobody should use the word torque on there haha. They probably just meant a certain kite has good "low end" What this means is that for every kite size you have a wind range. One model 10m might be able to pull like another models 12M because it has a tighter canopy or the surface area is very flat (as oppose to C Shaped). This means it has good power still on the "lower" wind range. These are good for race kites that just need lots of power. On the other end of the spectrum are kites with good "high end" That means that it can take a gust or take a higher wind range then designed for. These kites are usually designed to de-power a lot or are just very loose with their canopies such as delta kites (not all).
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby sailfish » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Far Into the future i want a mini blimp with helium and a new age motor that you fly without wind that never falls for when im 90!! Also would like some, artifical reefs created, and a big plunger in the middle to send off waves. Maybe throw some salt in and make it an ocean and big heat coils in the winter to keep it warm for those cold fronts to go ballistic. let me know?

Artificial reef with heated-plunger-driven waves sound like a great addition to the Chicago Park District! Maybe now is the time to propose it while we're pouring loads of money into waterfront improvements like Lincoln Park, 31st St, and Northerly Island.
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Return to Open Forum