Montrose Reminders.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Montrose Reminders.

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 am

A few reminders if you're riding Montrose.

1. Think before you ride.
2. If you can't control your desire to ride close to shore, over people, through swim areas, in front of cameras, over dogs, over dog owners, and over a bird sanctuary.... then go somewhere else.

3. Please remain North or EAST of the dog beach and swim area. There is a set of stick markers which are red and green... remain east of them or at a minimum north of them.

4. Please stay out of the swim areas. There is a yellow bouy with a light on it placed a good distance from shore. If you are inside that bouy, you are too close to shore.

5. Please respect the 100 foot safety zone around all occupied beaches piers. That means you on your board should be at least 200 feet offshore at all times. Your kite is on apx. 100 foot lines. When it falls it will be 100 feet from shore. 200 feet !

If you are drag racing the beach and there are swimers outside of you, and there are swimmer inside of you.....HINT: you are in the middle of the swim area....you have little or no respect for the safety of others, please kite somewhere else.

If dogs are running back and forth and dog owners are looking up at your kite as you drag race the dog beach...HINT: You are in the dog beach swim area... you have little or no respect for the safety of others, please kite somewhere else.

Launch your kite, zig zag out to the open water (tack back and forth working your way upwind), well clear of the swim areas....and have fun. Why is this so freaking difficult to do at this beach?

Final Hint: We are failing agin in our efforts to self Police. This is exactally what led to the ban last time.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Montrose Reminders.

Postby zulutimer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am

Sounds like this was being done by the same experienced people who in the past have sworn to uphold the rules. Ironic isnt it? That kind of behavior will just continue to breed the same riding in the younger guys.
Just remember that the next time we get banned Mike and I wont be there to help get M reopened.
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Mike, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I'm even hearing the same thing about Montrose all the way over here in Madison.

Adrien, my guess is this is you who is being called out. We've been friends for a long time and I know this won't undue anything related to our friendship, but cut this shit out.

As an advocate for this sport, you need to set an example, which you are, but at times it's the wrong example.

Montrose is the most watched, talked about and sensitive beach in the entire midwest. All it takes is one bad incident and the beach could be shut down permanently.

The rules need to be adhered to even more so by you and Mike and others who are the ones who are supposed to uphold those rules. My guess is Montrose has a very close to zero tolerance which means very little room for error. If one person breaks the rules, others will emulate and follow.

You're a great rider and have been asked to help "police" the rules at Montrose. With that comes an inherent responsibilities to set the right example all the time. Please take a close look at your actions and make sure that future actions reflect the attitude of Adrien that I know.

I was going to call you to give a heads up, but this thread already started and I'd be more than willing to talk via phone if needed.

Lucky you are all getting wind. Nothing here in about a month.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Montrose has a very close to zero tolerance which means very little room for error. If one person breaks the rules, others will emulate and follow.

This is so true. When one experienced rider heads into the dog area, or down the beach... our new riders follow and think it's ok.

Thanks for the wise words Bob!

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby FSP » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:32 am

Have to say, very happy with all the riders at mc today that had all went out past the buoys and stayed out despite the big waves and currents. Sure everyone wanted to expand on their bag of tricks near shore but instead headed out and stayed out. Whoever these montrose hooligans are, pls dont come over here!!!

That said,when i myself came in near the buoys after a tack or playing in the outside sets, i took a good look around to see if anyone might be in trouble which some might have found comforting knowing we could help pretty easily. Was surprised how some ventured so far out beyond what i could imagine, risking their lives in the currents and in the open water zone where boats and us might be, so always be aware in the summer.

Funny too over here at Mc, cuz you lose a lot of power on the inside to do tricks anyway, until the 2nd or third sandbar, which can be pretty far out naturally enforcing a safer situation for the most part.

be good city fellars!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:58 pm

The only advice I have, with my limited experience, is the following:
After you ride at Montrose, take 15 minutes to watch what other people are doing, especially on a straight-onshore days with marginal wind (like the recent Friday), when it is impossible to go out far enough.
I did, and I was shocked, because when I was in the water, it all felt so-under-control.
You WILL be surprised how scary and obnoxious it looks - a speeding board, in a big shore break, 6 feet from a kid's head, 2 feet from big boobs (of an [admittedly delicious] dog owner), 3 feet from a dog swimming toward you... Jump with a twist... repeat
This is important because the only things people who call on us to the Park District or police see is that shore-line perspective...
Please do that exercise over and over - and maybe, just maybe, the beach will survive for another season....
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 am

Excellent advice..... empathy.... put yourself in others shoes...or swim suits...

Mike
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby slingsnot » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:10 pm

All,

I am putting forth the following suggestion for when there are people in the water at Montrose: walk out into the water as FAR as you can, before strapping on the board. You'll have plenty of clearance to safely get past the swim area, and if the wind is too light, enough room to get to shore before it.

Joel
slingsnot
Pump Master

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 am

Another rider applies Rule #1.... think before you ride!

Great plan Joel! Thanks for the reminder!

In fact the water is knee to waist deep farther out than Ive ever seen it. You can walk WAY out there before getting on the board.

Mike
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Open Forum